FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Atlanta, GA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/510472-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-atlanta-ga.html)

sanfran8080 May 30, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm staying the the ATL Marquis on a weekend to see a Braves game.. How does everyone like the upgrade chances for a Platinum?

njcommodore May 31, 2015 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 24894292)
I'm staying the the ATL Marquis on a weekend to see a Braves game.. How does everyone like the upgrade chances for a Platinum?

For a platinum on a weekend pretty good. You should get concierge floor at a minimum.

SkiAdcock Jun 1, 2015 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Wembleygal (Post 24843411)
A

Please note - lounge NOT open Friday night or Saturday night.

On Friday and Saturday, lounge closes at 11:00 am. Only open for breakfast hours Saturday (and you can't get in with a key).

Thanks - will update the sticky.

Cheers.

Marcell Jun 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Photos of Exterior/Interior of the Remodeled Residence Inn Midtown ATL

I had a free night certificate on file so I used it at the Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown on West Peachtree Street last Thursday. Below are 3 photos of the hotel....1 exterior shot and 2 of the remodeled dining area of the hotel.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...ba&oe=558E4E98 (Exterior Photo)

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...f4&oe=558D7C29 (Dining Area....this used to be where the short front desk and their offices were located)

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...1d&oe=558D4254 (Extended Dining Area....the remodeled living room area)

SkiAdcock Jun 25, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks for the photos!

Cheers.

SkiAdcock Jun 25, 2015 11:32 am

I just called all the full-service properties in Georgia & updated the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

sanfran8080 Jul 17, 2015 7:00 am

Marriott-family Hotels in Atlanta, GA

Hi all. I'm going to Stone Mountain for a few days with the gf. I didn't like the look of the Stone Mountain inn or the Marriott Resort (hate resort fees). I've chosen the FS Marriott Century Center since it's only 7 miles away. Any opinions? It will be a Friday-Monday stay for this LT Platinum

LemonThrower Jul 17, 2015 8:39 am

Marriott Marquis is well located downtown and is a very large hotel. Its geared to the convention crowd, which is mostly during the week. if there is no convention, or if its the weekend, then the inventory should be very large.

Note that parking downtown is rather expensive.

Another good option is the Marriott Suites in midtown on 14th street.

If i was visiting Atlanta, I would probably stay at the Marriott Suites and drive the 30 minutes to Stone Mountain Park. There is not much out near Stone Mountain besides the park. Its also a good base for seeing a Braves game, only about 10 min further away than downtown.

sanfran8080 Jul 17, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks for the advice. The gf wants to spend her time at the park. So I must follow her lead.

LemonThrower Jul 17, 2015 9:02 am

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 25131608)
Thanks for the advice. The gf wants to spend her time at the park. So I must follow her lead.

was just pointing out that when you are done with Stone Mountain Park, there are more/nice restaurants and bars in midtown and downtown than over in Stone Mountain.

TvlPeach Jul 17, 2015 1:52 pm

sanfran, a few years back, I lived very close to the Stone Mountain area. From your post, it seems the main negative you had with the Evergreen property is the resort fee. I'm not sure that Evergreen has a resort fee and if so, you might come out better staying there and not paying the entrance fee each time you come into the park from Century Center or even pay the annual $40 charge. Of course, perhaps it's just the matter of not paying a resort fee as a matter personal preference, which I totally respect. If you stay at Evergreen there is a one time $15 park entrance and I think(better check this out!) they give you a ticket to put on your dashboard with your date of departure listed and you can come and go.

Either Evergreen or the Century Center property will have limited restaurant options but there are a few good places to eat in the historic city of Stone Mountain just outside the park gates. If you do go with Century Center, geographically it's probably your best option as far as a FS Marriott that won't be a terrible drive to the park but the location won't have much to offer other than a place to sleep.

sanfran8080 Jul 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks for ur advice TVIPEACH.... The whole resort clause is a real turnoff and I try to avoid their locations entirely. They will most likely not honor my Platinum benefits and def no free continental breakfast. I usually just stick with FS locations.

MileageGoblin Jul 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 25131051)
Hi all. I'm going to Stone Mountain for a few days with the gf. I didn't like the look of the Stone Mountain inn or the Marriott Resort (hate resort fees). I've chosen the FS Marriott Century Center since it's only 7 miles away. Any opinions? It will be a Friday-Monday stay for this LT Platinum

Ahh, the Marriott Stone Mountain. Reminds me of the many weeks I spent there for PwC training and debauchery... Very sterile resort. Geared for conventions to isolate people from distractions.

Having been to Atlanta a month ago, stayed in the RI Downtown and REN Midtown. I highly recommend the REN if you want to be in midtown. You get a $15/person credit for BF every morning due to no lounge (used to be a Palomar hotel) and the restaurant is quite good. I'd pass on anything downtown having stayed in them all, Marquis, RI, RC, FI (slum central due to Underground being a ghost land nowadays). The only reason to say at those places is if you plan to do the Coca-Cola, Aquarium, and CNN tours and want to be close. The AU hotel The Glen by the CNN building is also a ripoff value wise.

TvlPeach Jul 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 25133536)
Thanks for ur advice TVIPEACH.... The whole resort clause is a real turnoff and I try to avoid their locations entirely. They will most likely not honor my Platinum benefits and def no free continental breakfast. I usually just stick with FS locations.

Totally understand about Plat bennies and resorts. Occasionally, hubby and I will get a room upgrade. Good luck!!

keeton Jul 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 25131051)

The Century Center Marriott is a typical business-class Marriott, which isn't a bad thing. The good thing is that you are in a suburban area and won't have any of the traffic and parking hassles that you would have if you stayed intown Atlanta, which I would not recommend if Stone Mountain is your primary destination. Easy drive I-85 N to I-285 S to US 78 E to Stone Mountain.

As for restaurants, there are a lot of ethnic (primarily third-world Asian or Hispanic) eateries located nearby. Search on Yelp (or Zagat or Tripadvisor) for "Buford Highway" for choices. I definitely recommend one of the guides as some of these are quite ethnic (as in "no English spoken") and, while possibly a fantastic dining opportunity, may not be for the less adventuresome.