Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Stayed there a week ago and there was a letter in my room from the hotel manager waiting for me as I arrived, stating renovations in the West tower and invite me to come back and experience the new rooms. Has anyone stayed at the newly renovated rooms?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:45 am
Company Representative - Four Points by Sheraton LAX

Originally Posted by Motion122
Stayed there a week ago and there was a letter in my room from the hotel manager waiting for me as I arrived, stating renovations in the West tower and invite me to come back and experience the new rooms. Has anyone stayed at the newly renovated rooms?
This doesn't make alot of sense unless somehow we printed a very old version of the letter. All of our rooms are renovated as of May 2012. Sorry for the confusion! I'm finding out what happened. Best!!! Phil
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by PhilFPLAXGM
Regarding the breakfast, we tried adding it for awhile, but I found that Starwood likes to keep the "extras" standard from hotel to hotel.

What a shame to hear this, SPG is going the way of Marriott, one of the reasons I left MR was that they pulled this standardization crap and don't allow hotels to find innovative ways to do special things for their guests.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: BA, Gold Hilton, Gold SPG
That was a Starpicks Special that we use to build base. As you know it is always a limited time offer. The $135 rate is good for the 23rd. I'm looking at the competitive rates and the Sheraton is $179 and the Westin is $179-$199. Our rate is going to go up. If you can't find the $135 anymore, please PM me and I'll honor the rate. Best!!! Phil

BTW We were just named one of the World's Best Airport Hotels by Executive Travel Magazine http://www.executivetravelmagazine.c...airport-hotels
Phil,

I emailed you a private message in regard of the 135 /daily rate. Can you reply when you gt a chance.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mastersale
Phil,

I emailed you a private message in regard of the 135 /daily rate. Can you reply when you gt a chance.

Thanks
Done! I sent you my email address. I'm much faster replying to my emails. Thanks for your business. Much appreciated! Phil
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Thanks Phil for a great stay!

The front desk staff was great, the room was good, the restaurants were good.

My seminar schedule was MUCH more time consuming than I had figured and I didn't get a chance to stop by the office and say hi. My apologies.

Steve

Our view of the airport is just ok. The best rooms are in our West Tower on floors 5 through 7. Ask for a room that ends in 11, 13 or 15. If you PM me your confirmations I will follow-up and get the request in the system. Best!!! Phil
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by backdoc
The front desk staff was great, the room was good, the restaurants were good.

My seminar schedule was MUCH more time consuming than I had figured and I didn't get a chance to stop by the office and say hi. My apologies.

Steve
I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay. No worries! See you next time. Best!!! Phil
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:38 pm

We had a rookie reservation agent loading rates and she made a mistake and posted a $10 rate. I know some of you are now kicking yourselves for missing it. We rectified it quickly, but had about 50 reservations booked at that rate. I asked Maria to send an email out letting essentially our best customers know that it was a mistake and we would like to offer a $69 rate for those reservations. Here is a response that I received directly. I know I'm being probably too transparent but that's been my approach here and so far its worked pretty well.

"Mr Baxter, why have you let loose your Revenue Management team with a jaw-dropping note saying ".... too low for the hotel to honor."?

Ms ________ hasn't had the courtesy to respond to our requests for a further explanation or alternative and I'm hoping you could please do me the courtesy of responding."

Here was my response:

"Hi ________,

We had a new agent loading rates and she made a mistake and loaded a $10.00 rate that was up for a few hours. I think it’s pretty obvious that it was a mistake given that our variable cost per room is over $40.00. Our intention wasn’t to issue a jaw dropping note, it was simply to offer a great (and fair) discounted rate to those of you that were quick on the draw and booked it.

It seems to me that given our track record of offering great value that this is a fair arrangement. But, I understand that you guys are our customers. I’d be curious what your thoughts are.

We appreciate your business!"

At the risk of opening Pandora's Box I'm interested in how you would handle it in my shoes?

As always, I appreciate your business and your feedback!

Phil GM
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
We had a rookie reservation agent loading rates and she made a mistake and posted a $10 rate. I know some of you are now kicking yourselves for missing it. We rectified it quickly, but had about 50 reservations booked at that rate. I asked Maria to send an email out letting essentially our best customers know that it was a mistake and we would like to offer a $69 rate for those reservations. Here is a response that I received directly. I know I'm being probably too transparent but that's been my approach here and so far its worked pretty well.

"Mr Baxter, why have you let loose your Revenue Management team with a jaw-dropping note saying ".... too low for the hotel to honor."?

Ms ________ hasn't had the courtesy to respond to our requests for a further explanation or alternative and I'm hoping you could please do me the courtesy of responding."

Here was my response:

"Hi ________,

We had a new agent loading rates and she made a mistake and loaded a $10.00 rate that was up for a few hours. I think it’s pretty obvious that it was a mistake given that our variable cost per room is over $40.00. Our intention wasn’t to issue a jaw dropping note, it was simply to offer a great (and fair) discounted rate to those of you that were quick on the draw and booked it.

It seems to me that given our track record of offering great value that this is a fair arrangement. But, I understand that you guys are our customers. I’d be curious what your thoughts are.

We appreciate your business!"

At the risk of opening Pandora's Box I'm interested in how you would handle it in my shoes?

As always, I appreciate your business and your feedback!

Phil GM
Honor the rate, especially as it was only up for a few hours before the mistake was identified. Then use it as a teaching opportunity w/your new agent, as well as your seasoned ones. If a clerk in a store mis-marked something, would you expect the store to honor the price on the item at the time of check-out? Absolutely, so why should this situation be any different?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
I think if you're only out a couple of thousand dollars (50 x (40-10) x avg # of nights) it isn't worth it to ask the customers to rebook.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Phil,

I think, rather than try to recoup the money in a way that creates ill-will, you could use it as a challenge to see if a $10 customer can be WOWED into becoming a repeat customer. Instead of taking something away from those 50 guests, give them a welcome gift of a Congratulations! card -- "You found our Super Secret rate." Include a 2-for-1 at Brewsters and two coupons to use the $69 rate on future stays. And track those coupons.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:18 pm

Good suggestions...even honoring it for a repeat guest would be good too.

To be honest though if they are being a big jerk about it I probably wouldnt honor it either. Jaw dropping seems a little over the top to me.

What is the usual rate for those nights?

Oh and next time please post in FT Hotel Deals section while it is alive!! Lol. Jk
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
50 reservations.....I'd take it in the shorts and leave it alone. Track how many actually show up and their spend. I sure as hell would not be offering congratulations or 2 for 1 coupons. Just quietly accept the loss and see what happens. The end result might not be so bad.

Edit to add that I booked LAX Sheraton yesterday for 1 night next week. Had I read this thread earlier, you would have had the booking. Your rate was $30 lower, but the past couple years I've had better luck at the Sheraton. I'll bounce between the three SPG properties when in the area and for a long time yours was my favorite.

Last edited by hedoman; Oct 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
I agree with the others. Trying to put the sausage back into the casing will alienate the 50 odd people that bought in.

Clalk it up as a lesson learned, swallow the $6k, and try to get the rookie a job at the St. Regis and let us know when he/she is working.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Just PMd you.

As one of the people that bought more than a few $10 nights, I think it highly commendable that you brought the issue to the forum.
:-:

My next 'Legit' LAX booking will go to the 4Pts for your candour alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.