Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:33 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
I stayed here earlier this month using the 24hr rate. (Thanks Phil.)

This was my first stay at this property and I was pleasantly surprised. This isn't a normal 4 Points. My guess would be that it was originally built for a different (higher end) brand. As anyone who has used them knows, some 4 Points can be quite sketchy. This one definitely isn't.

Phil's participation here is a huge plus.

I didn't experience the check in line problem since I was checking in at 6am.

One improvement I'd like to see is that SPG awards should be officially eligible for the 24hr program. Even if it's technically permitted to do so (which I'm not sure it is) it doesn't seem right to offer fewer amenities to an SPG customer booking an award versus someone booking the basic room rate on the website.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by RLG
One improvement I'd like to see is that SPG awards should be officially eligible for the 24hr program. Even if it's technically permitted to do so (which I'm not sure it is) it doesn't seem right to offer fewer amenities to an SPG customer booking an award versus someone booking the basic room rate on the website.
If you are a 75 night plat, why not? book an award and then request Your24?? I haven't seen anything that says otherwise.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:05 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by justspg
If you are a 75 night plat, why not?
I'm not a 75 night plat.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RLG

This was my first stay at this property and I was pleasantly surprised. This isn't a normal 4 Points. My guess would be that it was originally built for a different (higher end) brand. As anyone who has used them knows, some 4 Points can be quite sketchy. This one definitely isn't.
I believe before it became the 4P it was a Days Inn , I dont know if it was 1st built to be a DI. btw there are a few sections to the hotel and yes aside from the main tower the other wings have Exterior corridors. Not to many 'higher end' hotels have exterior corridors
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by RLG
We generally stay in one of three LAX properties 2-3 times a year (the Hilton, the Marriott, or the Four Points, and we're generally going to an event at the Marriott) -- and the Four Points has the best beer bar of any of them.

For food, I prefer the Hilton's offerings; the Marriott's slid downhill. Due to our schedules, we really haven't eaten at the Four Points frequently, though, so I can't really speak about their menu. Usually we eat out somewhere locally. Last time, we walked to the Greek place a few blocks north.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:16 pm
RLG

Originally Posted by craz
btw there are a few sections to the hotel and yes aside from the main tower the other wings have Exterior corridors. Not to many 'higher end' hotels have exterior corridors
Obviously, I didn't see that part of the hotel. If I had, I would have quite a different impression.

The part I saw had a large lounge, a separate sports bar, a separate restaurant and several meeting rooms. That's what I thought seemed out of place (in a good way) for a 4 points.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:04 am
Company Representative - Four Points by Sheraton LAX

Regarding 24 Hour Check-In/Check-Out. We've been doing this since 2002.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/02/bu...ted=all&src=pm

Our program is different than the Starwood overall program in that we make it available to all guests - the guideline is rates higher than $119. Just let us know 48 hours in advance and we'll have a room ready for you and you can keep it 24 hours.

http://www.fourpointslax.com/

You can simply fill out a form on our website to make it easy.

Best,

Phil
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I believe before it became the 4P it was a Days Inn , I dont know if it was 1st built to be a DI. btw there are a few sections to the hotel and yes aside from the main tower the other wings have Exterior corridors. Not to many 'higher end' hotels have exterior corridors
It was first built as a Sheraton, became a Viscount (with Travel Lodge's corporate office in the penthouse), then a Continental Plaza. In 1998 Tishman bought the property and put $17 million into a complete redo, rebranding and repositioning to Four Points. The Four Points choice was driven by Tishman's strong relationship with Starwood. It became more like a Sheraton than a Four Points with 15,000 sf of meeting space and full service (24 hour room service, bell service, etc.). Ove the last two years SBE has put in another $16 million with the final phase of the redo starting next week. The east tower guestrooms and corridors will be redone top to bottom two floors at a time. These rooms have a double pane windo system so for day sleeper east will immediately become the preferred tower. The center tower is an enclosed exterior corridor. The rooms are redone and spacious (good for families) however the window looks out on the hallway.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Phil: do you see any future collaboration with the sbe brands or is the Four Points LAX too much of an oddball to maybe offer VIP entry to the clubs, put a mini Hyde lounge on property, earn towards sbePREFERRED, etc.?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Phil: do you see any future collaboration with the sbe brands or is the Four Points LAX too much of an oddball to maybe offer VIP entry to the clubs, put a mini Hyde lounge on property, earn towards sbePREFERRED, etc.?
Right now you can earn points for SBE Preferred here, you just can't earn SPG points and SBEPreferred points. We're happy to make arrangements for the SBE venues and if you email me I can send your reservation requests straight to SBE restaurants and SBE nightlife. Brewster's is becoming an SBE venue so that is another nexus for us.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Was in yesterday for a ~ Noontime check in

Walked in and saw about 8-10 people in line (overall I think it was about 4 sets of people so not that bad) all in the regular line. I walk to the SGP elite line which was empty.

The clerk closest to me finished with whom he was processing when I walked into the line and took the next guest in the non-elite line. He finished that one, and as I step without asking - causing the next in line at the non-elite line to stutter step - he said to me, someone will be right out to help you (me) -

about 1m later, a manager came out to check me in.

So it appears that the FDC's are still checking in the non-elite line and when someone comes in the elite line, they call someone from the back to process them

at least that is how it worked with me yesterday.

A pleasant stay was had though
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely a problem with the front desk lines. As others have pointed out, the elite line is closer to the main entrance. So, people tend to get onto that line as it is the first one they see.

When I got here last night, everyone was on the elite line. No one on the bigger line. The elite line lady was occupied with some non-elite trying to book a room - finding out what the hotel offers, what rates there are... Needless to say, it took a while to get checked in.

It was also interesting that, for many hotels, elite members are pre-checked in and folio ready. I guess they don't do it here. They even had to look for the Platinum breakfast vouchers.

The staff I have encountered so far all over the hotel is very helpful and friendly ^

Platinum Breakfast voucher is valid for full breakfast here - even though it says only Continental ^ Breakfast was OK but not something for which I would pay list price (I think it is $16). Service, like all other staff encountered so far, is good.

Gym is better than the typical mid-tier hotel gyms with pretty new equipment.

Common area of the hotel is great. Interesting that the computers for guests to use are Mac, not PC.

The word that came to mind is innovative - they don't need to do a lot of these things that are different from the standard chain offerings but they are.

Newly renovated room is nice (I did not get any suite upgrades - probably because I requested a room with view or the dirt low AAA rate I am paying).
Have a room with great view of downtown LA and approaching planes. A little noisy from both the planes and the stuff going on in the parking lot/alley - worth it for the view. Too bad the air is not that clear today and no snow topped mountains. Still, I can just sit here all way plane watching - especially later when all the 747s and 380s arrive

Have not tried the cookies yet

Last edited by username; Mar 3, 2012 at 9:51 am
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
@ Phil,
I am sorry it's taken me so long to find your hotel! Upon reviewing rates for my birthday weekend stay I am seeing that the king bed rate for an access room is cheaper than the non-access room, why is that?

After many years staying at the Westin I am looking for a new home away from home when I am in LA. Looking forward to my chance to check out your Hotel
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
@ Phil,
I am sorry it's taken me so long to find your hotel! Upon reviewing rates for my birthday weekend stay I am seeing that the king bed rate for an access room is cheaper than the non-access room, why is that?

After many years staying at the Westin I am looking for a new home away from home when I am in LA. Looking forward to my chance to check out your Hotel
Let's talk offline and I'll get you set up. Thanks!!!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rest of my stay was pretty good. The cookies were good.

I am very impressed by the friendly staff at the breakfast restaurant ^ Can't say enough about that! The front door staff is also great.

The guest laundry facility location is a little strange and the machines are not the latest and greatest. I guess most people just overnight there so it does not make sense to invest in them.

The airport shuttle GPS display is cool. Not 100% accurate when they run extra buses. My wait was a lot shorter than what the displayed showed. A bus came out of nowhere and picked us up.

I did run into a very strange problem and I wonder if others have experienced it. I could get onto my corporate VPN OK but once in, I could not get to any internal sites (can get to the external sites). I was with our technical support and could not figure out why.

I have never had that problem before anywhere (and I travel a lot) and the problem fixed itself when I tried once I got onto the airplane (WN Wifi). Is there something strange with the Internet access in this hotel? It has something to do with the DNS suffix and routing, it seems.

Definitely a great value. Already booked my next stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.