Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JackE
I have stayed at both properties on numerous occasions, and plan on repeating at both.

That said, the one I would clearly prefer to bring my wife to is the Westin.
My last stay the property seemed dated. Know that Phil is the GM, I would give the property a pass, but the hotel needs a serious reno.

I would stay at the Sheraton before the Westin.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The Platinum benefit is continental breakfast, not breakfast buffet. Some hotels go above and beyond, but you probably shouldn't base your decision on wishful thinking.
Yes, I understand. I made the comment about breakfast buffet being offered at this property not based on wishful thinking, but on previous posts in this thread indicating that that was the Plat amenity. Based on this, I was hoping to elicit commentary from those who have had past experiences at this hotel during breakfast time.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. If you are doing this, you are violating the rules at most if not all properties (unless you are actually on a club level).
I think I phrased my initial statement about bringing the whole family into lounges at other properties poorly. I think I'm reasonably well versed in the T&C's but, just for completeness, this is a general summary of how I bring the whole family into the club lounge:

(a) I pay for lounge access for the second room. We've been to properties with very nice lounges where I think it's definitely a great deal and a pleasant experience for everybody in my party to enjoy the breakfast and the evening appetizers, etc.
(b) I am informed at check in that both rooms have been upgraded to the club floor. A very much appreciated above-and-beyond gesture by the hotel.
(c) I am not informed at check in of any additional club access (and I sometimes forget to ask) but then when I go to the lounge I observe that BOTH rooms' keys can open the lounge. I take this as meaning that either I'm on a club floor, or that the front desk graciously granted access for both rooms, even if not on a club floor.
(d) To the best of my knowledge, I don't think I've ever violated the terms. Certainly not consciously.

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
You should expect to pay for the additional breakfasts.
Yes, that will be fine.

I have stayed at both properties on numerous occasions, and plan on repeating at both.

I'm leaning towards doing that as well, but I'll give it a little more thought.
Thank you all for your responses.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:21 pm

I too..........definitely would stay at the Sheraton or the Westin before staying here again. Prior to my visiting, I know there was a lot of positive reviews but for whatever reason this place just seemed dingy???? Can't really explain - As mentioned, maybe it just needs a makeover or something? Definitely better SPG options in the exact same area which might be a little more expensive BUT you get what you pay for!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
To a degree I find all the LAX Starwood hotels to be a bit dingy. Four Points probably being the oldest, none of them have ever had a "hard" (gutted to the studs) remodel. They all have decent furnishing but,they all need new bathrooms which ages the rooms and make them feel "dingy" .
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I would vote for the Sheraton Gateway LAX.

Instead of hotel breakfasts for four, why not find a Starbucks or equivalent at the airport if you don't have airport lounge privileges? It would be less stressful than rushing a family through a hotel breakfast before rushing to the airport.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would vote for the Sheraton Gateway LAX.
Okto only asked about the Four Points vs Westin.

But yeah, throw the Sheraton into the mix and that would be my choice as well, all else being equal.

That said, with Phil at the helm, the Westin may return to top dog.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's wrong with Phil? Did the property have a different GM in the recent past who started the craft beer program and was generally good to elites and FT people?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's wrong with Phil? Did the property have a different GM in the recent past who started the craft beer program and was generally good to elites and FT people?
Remember Phil left the Four Point and is now at the GM of Westin LAX.

I think JackE is saying is currently the Westin in it's current state (Pre Phil) is "questionable".

Now that Phil is at the helm, (hopefully) he can turn the property around and improve it on all levels.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
To a degree I find all the LAX Starwood hotels to be a bit dingy. Four Points probably being the oldest, none of them have ever had a "hard" (gutted to the studs) remodel. They all have decent furnishing but,they all need new bathrooms which ages the rooms and make them feel "dingy" .
I have stayed at both the 4 Points and Westin many, many times. I would not say that the hotels are dingy at all, just dated and I agree that both need a "hard" gutting. As far as I know, Westin has updated the gym (removed the Sauna ) and have updated the front drive. Both property's have always been clean and to SPG standards. Phil has just gotten started at the Westin and I for one am excited for the changes to come in the months and years ahead. Phil left the 4 Points in good hands with Peter Kolla and I will not hesitate to stay at the 4 Points as well as the Westin.

Last edited by SEA777GUY; Apr 7, 2015 at 1:41 pm Reason: edit
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Remember Phil left the Four Point and is now at the GM of Westin LAX.

I think JackE is saying is currently the Westin in it's current state (Pre Phil) is "questionable".

Now that Phil is at the helm, (hopefully) he can turn the property around and improve it on all levels.
I was saying that I currently prefer the Sheraton to the Westin, not that the Westin is questionable.

And, as you pointed out, Phil may bring it back to the top of the pack.

As an aside, for my purposes the Sheraton is in a better location than the Westin. I don't think even Phil can remedy that.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
I was saying that I currently prefer the Sheraton to the Westin, not that the Westin is questionable.

And, as you pointed out, Phil may bring it back to the top of the pack.

As an aside, for my purposes the Sheraton is in a better location than the Westin. I don't think even Phil can remedy that.
He can, sort of. Phil has arranged that the Westin Hotel shuttle now is direct to the Westin, no more stopping at other property's. Not sure if the Sheraton has this.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:47 pm

IIRC the Westin and Four Points shared a shuttle.

Can Phenominal Phil remove the dog kennels from the back side of the Westin?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Phil left the 4 Points in good hands with Peter Kolla and I will not hesitate to stay at the 4 Points as well as the Westin.
I disagree. Since Phil left the 4P has gone sharply downhill in terms of something they can easily address: service. Things like litter in the parking lot, forgetting special requests, miscommunication from bell staff, zero pushback from the shuttle's company's declining service are just a few examples. Oh, and no cookies 4 of my last 5 stays leaves a bad (or lack of) taste in my mouth.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
He can, sort of. Phil has arranged that the Westin Hotel shuttle now is direct to the Westin, no more stopping at other property's. Not sure if the Sheraton has this.
Good to know about the Westin shuttles & good for Phil.

Speaking of him, does anyone have contact info for him, either @ the Westin or here on FT? I both called & sent an e-mail to one of the Westin sales people a week ago about stays I have coming up in May but have rec'd no response
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by txrus
Good to know about the Westin shuttles & good for Phil.

Speaking of him, does anyone have contact info for him, either @ the Westin or here on FT? I both called & sent an e-mail to one of the Westin sales people a week ago about stays I have coming up in May but have rec'd no response
If you read the the Westin LAX thread you will see posts from him. You can send a PM to him by clicking on his name -WESTINLAXGM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.