FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Four Points Chicago Downtown [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/491085-four-points-chicago-downtown-master-thread.html)

PresRDC Nov 8, 2005 8:28 am

Four Points Chicago Downtown [Master Thread]

Hi All,

I was looking to make a reservation in Chicago for the weekend of Dec. 9 - 11 and I noticed that there is a Four Points in downtown Chicago. I've never noticed this hotel before. Is it new? Was it built to suit or taken over from another chain? Is it open yet? When did it open? Anyone stayed there yet? How is it?

Thanks!

DZMAN Nov 8, 2005 10:05 am

I haven't stayed there, but I did walk by it the other day. Looks nice from the outside and very nice location about a block off of Michigan Ave new the Water Tower.

Scott218 Nov 8, 2005 10:21 am

I stayed there over the Halloween weekend.
This category 3 hotel has 8 floors. Given the hotel's location (Between Ontario and Rush), you will have no view in pretty much all the rooms. The lobby is a decent size with 3 counters for agents to serve guests. There is a dedicated line for *W G and P. I was recognized as a Platinum but amenity choices were not offered. The high ceilinged lobby also has a fireplace and lounge chairs.

My room was a junior suite on the 7th floor. It's a decent size and the bed was comfortable. Since I booked the suite, I don't know if I would have gotten an upgrade or not. From the looks of things, the hotel was booked solid over the weekend.

There is a pool in the hotel premises.

On the 4th floor, there is a eatery that serves breakfast. It charges I think 13 for person for a continental+ breakfast (with waffles, a egg dish, meats). The service at the eatery was great.

If you need more information, please PM me.

cdfev Nov 10, 2005 7:03 pm

I stayed here in early October 2005.

This is much nicer than the average 4 points.

The location is good.

Rooms are nice with free internet.

Quiet.....some problems with the bill and with the free breakfast as part of the rate...management eventually got this right.

I'd stay here again

GopherPuckGuy Nov 17, 2005 8:49 pm

I've got about 5 weeks at this property - another 10 weeks or so coming up. Obviously I like it, the staff is friendly and the rooms are fine. I've stayed at the Courtyards and Fairfield (I know, not a fair comparison) in downtown Chicago, the big Marriott, the Swisshotel and InterContinental and the Renaissance. I like this better by far than all but the Ren. However, I get a great corp. rate at the 4points, so here I stay.

btw - I’m not overly impressed by the breakfast, it’s on par with a standard CY.

FLYGVA Dec 8, 2005 5:43 am

I am in Chicago in January (16 - 18) and plan to stay there for one night, as they offer a good rate.

The nearest subway station is GRAND, served by the Red Line, isn't it. Would the hotel be in walkable distance (with hand luggage) to this station, meaning less than 1 km (or 3/4 mls)?

Thanks

elihu1991 Dec 8, 2005 11:35 am

i stayed there shortly after it opened. typical 4points if you ask me- i.e., nothing special but definitely functional. the location is fine for shopping and fun though other palces are better for business as this is fairly far north of the financial district. breakfast ok, free internet as is standard at all 4points. if you have the $$$, the westin river north is far far nicer. just stayed there this week and love it.

mario33 Jan 8, 2006 1:01 am

Any update on this hotel ?

How are the balcony rooms like, and are these rooms available for Platinum upgrade ? Do they comp breakfast for Platinums ?

Is the train an easy option to get to/from ORD (I am travelling light), and does it take more than 1hr ?

Thanks.

wizzy Jan 8, 2006 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I am in Chicago in January (16 - 18) and plan to stay there for one night, as they offer a good rate.

The nearest subway station is GRAND, served by the Red Line, isn't it. Would the hotel be in walkable distance (with hand luggage) to this station, meaning less than 1 km (or 3/4 mls)?

Thanks

Plan your El (subway) ride with this website:

CTA trip planner

You plug in your starting and ending points, and it will tell you which train/bus to go, the general direction to walk in, and the approximate walking distance.

ElmhurstNick Jan 9, 2006 3:18 am

Originally Posted by FLYGVA

Yes, Grand would be the nearest station. But the Red Line doesn't serve O'Hare or Midway, so you're looking at a transfer. The transfer from O'Hare will be easier than the one from Midway (the latter may involve stairs). Figure 1/4-1/3 mile of walking for the transfer, and then about the same at Grand.

mallthus Jan 10, 2006 7:23 am

Originally Posted by mario33
How are the balcony rooms like, and are these rooms available for Platinum upgrade ? Do they comp breakfast for Platinums ?

My advice is to avoid the balcony rooms. They face the street and get the associated noise, while the location precludes any sort of attractive view.

Frankly, I'd aim for a room towards the back of the hotel, on floor 5 facing the (very) small garden courtyard. It's kind of pretty (in that urban oasis kind of way) and ever so quiet.

DCGuy Apr 22, 2006 11:45 am

Any more recent comments?

mario33 Apr 22, 2006 12:13 pm

Disappointing

Stayed there earlier this year, and I have to say some rooms are really depressing due to the lack of view. Internal rooms look into the swimming pool roof or a highrise residential block. The balconies on some external rooms are not useable with the doors locked.

Furnishings are very simple and cheap looking; and linens used for the Four Comfort Beds are of very poor quality (not sure whether its typical of all Four Comfort Beds).

Prior to this stay, my only other 4P experience was at the 4P SYD which I now realise is the best 4P worldwide. No, I am not likely to return to the 4P Chicago.

Vader May 21, 2006 8:42 pm

Stayed here for two nights on my own dime with the wife before moving to the W City Center for work trip. They upgraded me to a Suite because baby was with us, and the room was probably twice the size of my king room in the W. However, the view was..... nothing. Just the roof and the hallway across it (on the 5th floor). However, the location is fantastic and my wife loved to shop close by.... given the rate we got, I would stay here again.

The staff was also very friendly and helpful...

Vader

windwalker May 21, 2006 11:09 pm

Stayed here for 5 nights for trade show(5/13-5/18)
I was on 5th floor 5122(8th is SPG floor, is what sign said) was "upgraded" to a junior suite(last they had-smoking but was ok for me). I guess what made it JR was that the room was a bit deeper than some and had a couch and a coffee table in it. Not a seperate room, just an area.
Had a micro and a fridge as well. Just your basic 4pts room.
Hotel's only been open for 1 yr, so rooms not too beat up

My room overlooked Rush St. I saw the courtyard rooms' view(or lack there of)and in my book I prefer a city view of any kind over an empty courtyard. Window opened so some fresh air could come in. I didn't find the street noise to be too much.

They are doing construction on site currently(new BofA) so jack hammers going in the ealry morning, is not so good-but will be finished one day.
Currently there is NO ATM on-site.

They have a "Lounge" currently on the 4th floor-the room itself is ok but the bar is some card tables with booze and glasses set up on it. They also serve breakfast here but did not try it.

Parking is 28/night in one of the cleanest parking garages you will ever see(used to be a Cadilac showroom-I heard and still smells like new cars)

High speed internet was both wired and wireless in the rooms.

No scope mouthwash in 5th floor rooms but HK got me some.

Location is convenient, Lowry's is right across the street(in fact I believe they currently provide the room service for this property) It does look like a new resturant is being worked on, on the first floor.
For some good late night eats, try Quartino-couple blocks down-for an unusual approach to Italian.

Pool/Sauna/Workout are on 5th Floor-Workout was mostly all cardio,a few free weights.

Staff was friendly and attentative-the bellmen know their stuff and are eager to help.

If the rate we paid is correct(350/night)I would think you can certainly find a much better hotel than this.
Good news is my 4000 bonus promo points for a 4 nite stay have already posted ^