Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Concierge email address: [email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from March 2018 including description of Table 55 at the King Cole Bar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Print Wikipost

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Stayed here over the weekend with two rooms. Nice stay overall but service wasn't at the level of our last stay. Platinum Premier, no mentioned/visible upgrade, received rooms on the third floor (although hotel did seem to be sold out). Front desk agent clearly noted that late check-out and breakfast could only be applied to one room, not both. The rooms themselves were still very nice and we were happy to be there (especially with the great deal on points).

Biggest disappointment was that there was no communication prior to arrival: Last year, the hotel called us ahead of time to ask for stay details and offered to bring a little dessert to the room to help celebrate a birthday. So, this year, I emailed management twice (one to a general email found on TripAdvisor and one to the hotel manager) a few days prior to arrival to ask what I/they can do for a special occasion (parent's 35th wedding anniversary), and received no response both times. I then called the hotel and someone said we could order an amenity online if we wanted, which we did. I then asked about the cake we ordered at check-in (to confirm it was in the system) and she asked (surprised) who's birthday it was...so that made us a little stressed and we had to track down the cake, but it did eventually end up in one of the rooms (albeit the wrong room!).

Overall still a nice stay and we'd certainly return...but not quite as seamless as it was last year.

Also: we were charged the destination fee even though it was not on the reservation (made right after the merger).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by svo242
Stayed here over the weekend with two rooms. Nice stay overall but service wasn't at the level of our last stay. Platinum Premier, no mentioned/visible upgrade, received rooms on the third floor (although hotel did seem to be sold out). Front desk agent clearly noted that late check-out and breakfast could only be applied to one room, not both. The rooms themselves were still very nice and we were happy to be there (especially with the great deal on points).

Biggest disappointment was that there was no communication prior to arrival: Last year, the hotel called us ahead of time to ask for stay details and offered to bring a little dessert to the room to help celebrate a birthday. So, this year, I emailed management twice (one to a general email found on TripAdvisor and one to the hotel manager) a few days prior to arrival to ask what I/they can do for a special occasion (parent's 35th wedding anniversary), and received no response both times. I then called the hotel and someone said we could order an amenity online if we wanted, which we did. I then asked about the cake we ordered at check-in (to confirm it was in the system) and she asked (surprised) who's birthday it was...so that made us a little stressed and we had to track down the cake, but it did eventually end up in one of the rooms (albeit the wrong room!).

Overall still a nice stay and we'd certainly return...but not quite as seamless as it was last year.

Also: we were charged the destination fee even though it was not on the reservation (made right after the merger).
Our stay is coming up in 2 weeks, really looking forward to it. Noted on the Platinum upgrade, hopefully, it's less busy and we can get an upgrade.
I also haven't receive any email from the hotel yet. Do you have the email address for their concierge/butler service? I want to make a few restaurant reservations prior to our stay.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:02 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fabamber
Our stay is coming up in 2 weeks, really looking forward to it.

Do you have the email address for their concierge/butler service? I want to make a few restaurant reservations prior to our stay.
[email protected]

The concierge team here is amazing. Enjoy!
controller1, levilevi and fabamber like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Just finished up a one-night leisure stay on points as a PP. A few thoughts:

1. We were upgraded to a massive named suite from a Superior room. This was a major wow and was one of the best city hotel rooms we've ever stayed in. Our room wasn't ready until 6pm (we arrived around 1pm), but we were given the option to have a regular room right away if we preferred. I assume our huge upgrade was primarily driven to the fact that this was a one-night stay.
2. We enjoyed breakfast in-room, and it came to $140 including service/delivery. There was no charge on the final folio. Breakfast itself was good, not great. Our eggs and muesli were excellent. The pastries were a joke - think Admirals/United Club level. This is an embarrassment for the brand and had I been downstairs at the restaurant I would have sent them back. Our toast and English muffins were stale, and the grapefruit juice is not freshly squeezed (only OJ is fresh).
3. We had a fantastic time at the King Cole Bar. Given that we would have come here anyways, we didn't mind the $50 destination fee at all. We also did ~$50 of laundry which never hit the bill. I imagine that they started out the destination fee as more generous than they wanted in order to get guests comfortable with the idea. As of now, I'm thrilled with it (we also used the 2x free tickets for the MoMA).
4. The front desk was absolutely over-run at around 3:30pm on Saturday. A line of about 6 people that took ~15 minutes to get through, which is just unacceptable at a hotel of this level. There was a wedding on-site and I recognize that 3:30pm is a busy time for a hotel, but it's not an excuse.
5. I can confirm that the concierge and the people who work there are spectacular. I'm excited to engage with them to help plan our return stay in a few months.
6. Even in a Superior room this is a much better property than the Park Hyatt, the other true luxury property available on points in NYC (excluding the Chatwal as I have not stayed). At 60K/night through this and next year (for stays booked by EOY) its a no-brainer. We've stayed at the PH probably 10x and this is just a better-run hotel. A monumental step-up over the Gramercy Park Hotel. I'm writing this from my room at 11 Howard, another SPG Design Hotel, and again it's not in the same ballpark.

All-in-all, I can't wait to return for our one-year wedding anniversary next year, where we hope to stay for 3-4 nights and use an SNA. I doubt I'll get an upgrade even remotely like this one, but the hotel itself is clearly very well-run and that matters much more in the long run. The location is as good as Midtown gets, though not our favorite. An solid 'A' stay.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Just finished up a one-night leisure stay on points as a PP. A few thoughts:

1. We were upgraded to a massive named suite from a Superior room. ...
@callmedtop would you mind sharing which suite this was?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:59 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Even in a Superior room this is a much better property than the Park Hyatt, the other true luxury property available on points in NYC (excluding the Chatwal as I have not stayed). At 60K/night through this and next year (for stays booked by EOY) its a no-brainer. We've stayed at the PH probably 10x and this is just a better-run hotel. A monumental step-up over the Gramercy Park Hotel. I'm writing this from my room at 11 Howard, another SPG Design Hotel, and again it's not in the same ballpark.
Agreed! But still glad you enjoyed the big upgrade.

I also will tell you that I love the Chatwal almost as much, but the StR is special. I’d have sent back the bad pastries and insisted on replacements, though. Free or not, this hotel should always get it right.

I actually think the StR is a bargain even at its eventual 85-100K points rate for Cat 8. That’s still less than the equivalent 90-105K points it was with SPG.

Also, FWIW, just the regular SNA suite upgrade here is special. We had that for our stay in March. I initially was disappointed we didn’t get anything bigger, but that suite was incredibly comfortable for us. The only thing I didn’t love about that suite was the small shower, but the shower pressure and texture may be the finest I’ve ever enjoyed anywhere. I’d be more than thrilled in that same entry level suite again.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Agreed! But still glad you enjoyed the big upgrade.

I also will tell you that I love the Chatwal almost as much, but the StR is special. I’d have sent back the bad pastries and insisted on replacements, though. Free or not, this hotel should always get it right.

I actually think the StR is a bargain even at its eventual 85-100K points rate for Cat 8. That’s still less than the equivalent 90-105K points it was with SPG.

Also, FWIW, just the regular SNA suite upgrade here is special. We had that for our stay in March. I initially was disappointed we didn’t get anything bigger, but that suite was incredibly comfortable for us. The only thing I didn’t love about that suite was the small shower, but the shower pressure and texture may be the finest I’ve ever enjoyed anywhere. I’d be more than thrilled in that same entry level suite again.
All fair points. We didn’t send back the pastries just because it was took service and we were lazy to deal with it. Much easier to send something back in the restaurant. But yes, I agree.

I also forgot about the RC Central Park - another lux property on points - but I don’t love the inability to receive platinum benefits (aka breakfast) on award stays, and when I stayed on cash once I found it disappointing. There is also the EDITION which has a phenomenal location and beautiful rooms, but it’s overpriced, entry level rooms are essentially closets, and they are very snooty service-wise, even as paying guests.

We were upgraded to the Milano suite. I’ve found FTers these days to be a bit more DYKWIA then in years past, so I hope this isn’t an invitation to bombard the front desk with upgrade requests because “someone online I read about was upgraded”. Suffice to say it was a beautiful suite and made for a very special one night stay. A couple of pictures are included.

damon88, miles4CDG, svo242 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Seriously? You expect the hotel to cover the tip you left for the service provided to you during breakfast? I am completely baffled!
This is what we refer to as looking a gift horse in the mouth. Enjoy the breakfast benefit. Don't take it for granted by assuming it should include tip. You get the breakfast but you still tip the server in a tipping culture country.
In an email from the FO Director:
We received your inquiry about Platinum Welcome Amenity.
The St. Regis New York offers American Breakfast 2 people or 1,000 loyalty points.

For the American Breakfast, it can be utilized at the Astor Court Restaurant which is located in the lobby or through our In Room Dining. The American Breakfast includes pastry basket, hot/cold beverage (juice, coffee), 2 eggs, and choice of bacon or sausage.
It also include gratuity in the package.
I'm not one of those people that assume gratuity is included, but I had read somewhere online it was, which was why I asked here. Also, I come from Hyatt, which in their T&C explicitly states that gratuity is included. So I don't think I'm entirely out of the norm to check whether tips are included. Anyways, thought I'd update y'all.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Had a flawless two-night stay here, immediately after a two-night stay at the PH.

Checked in around 3 p.m. Monday. (Booked on points, used SNAs which were confirmed 5 days out.) Room wasn't ready yet, so I left a phone number and got tickets to the Met. Wife & I promptly went to the Met, got a call shortly after 5 saying our suite was ready; we left the Met at closing and returned to the StR by 5:45 to learn that we had been upgraded to a beautiful St. Regis Suite. It was incredible -- windows on three sides, all of which opened -- and the service was perfect. Butler delivered coffee and tea on arrival, took garments for complimentary pressing, and took items for overnight dry cleaning. Pressing was returned promptly. Before stepping out for the evening, I asked for a bucket of ice to be placed in the bedroom, and it was there when we returned... turndown service was also done meticulously. We went down to King Cole bar for drinks to use the F&B credit and had a great time. Before retiring for the night, I called to request 9:30 a.m. wake up, 9:35 follow up, 9:45 coffee/tea, and for my shoes (hung on the door) to be shined. Everything happened promptly as promised.

Tuesday a.m. we went to the restaurant for breakfast, it was okay but nothing special. "Jumbo lump" crab cakes on the benedict were just lump, not jumbo, but were still tasty. Steak with the steak and eggs wasn't very high quality meat but did the trick. Croissant was fabulous. Used the MoMa tickets Tuesday, went back to King Cole bar Tuesday evening, and did more laundry overnight. (Honestly I don't tend to do much hotel laundry, but the overnight service was very convenient and the laundry was very well done.) Wednesday a.m. we got room service breakfast delivered. All in all, the destination fee cost $114 ($50 + tax times 2) but covered $35 + $38 worth of laundry, $100 at the King Cole bar, and $90 in museum tickets. And our $88 and $102 breakfasts, respectively, were fully covered. The butler staff was fantastic, we got to use the house car (S Class, no Bentley) twice to go to dinner, and there is simply nothing like coming back from the streets of New York to an immaculately clean and beautiful suite at the St. Regis. Wife & I couldn't have been happier.

A note about the destination fee -- I called because I didn't quite understand how they calculate a "day" and I was concerned because they state explicitly that the credits are not cumulative day by day. We didn't get our check from the King Cole bar until 12:05 a.m. the first night, so I was concerned that would prevent us from getting credit at, say, 10 p.m. the second night -- but the agent I called said it didn't need to be exactly on a given calendar day and not to worry about it -- the credits were simply not combinable onto a single $100 tab, for example. Same with the laundry -- so it seems that if you send out laundry Monday night and Tuesday night, they should credit you $50 a pop, even if, for example, charges for both are posted on Tuesday. All that showed on my final folio was the destination fee and small overages from each visit to the King Cole bar.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:40 pm

Went here for a staycation. Don't recognize any of the good stories above.
The lobby was a mess, lots of people, chaotic. At check-in the butler was mentioned, I was expecting him to come to the room, no one ever showed up.
As platinum elite was upgraded to a higher floor, but room was facing a blind wall....
I asked the concierge about the car service, he send me outside, to check with the doorman. No one was standing there, so I went inside and got told that I should have some patience.
I must say that the room was very nice, but never worth 1000+ USD for a one night stay.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTS
I just made a reservation for a single night to celebrate our anniversary using points. it did not mention the destination fee in the reservation - is it waived for award bookings?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Ksw299
I just made a reservation for a single night to celebrate our anniversary using points. it did not mention the destination fee in the reservation - is it waived for award bookings?
No
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:44 pm

Here is the screenshot from the reservation - no mention of the destination fees.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:23 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ksw299

Here is the screenshot from the reservation - no mention of the destination fees.
And yet they can charge it as allowed under New York law. As is noted on its website page under Hotel Policies:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...egis-new-york/

MANDATORY DESTINATION FEE POLICY
Room rates do not include the hotel's mandatory destination fee of 50 USD per room per night, plus local and state taxes. This charge includes:
50 USD Food and Beverage Credit (available in all outlets excluding MiniBar)
50 USD Laundry/Dry Cleaning Credit
25 USD Fodera Hair Salon Credit (excluding Manicure)
Free HSIA, Local, Long Distance and International calls (unlimited)
2 Museum tickets per day
IMO if you’re getting a room at the StR New York for 60K Marriott points/night through Dec 2018, you’re still getting an incredible steal even with this destination fee. Even when this property goes to 85-100K Marriott points/night, it’s still a steal with the destination fee. (And that’s still fewer Marriott points than the 90-105K Marriott points under the legacy SPG program.)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:39 pm

And yet they can charge it as allowed under New York law. As is noted on its website page under Hotel Policies:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...egis-new-york/

IMO if you’re getting a room at the StR New York for 60K Marriott points/night through Dec 2018, you’re still getting an incredible steal even with this destination fee. Even when this property goes to 85-100K Marriott points/night, it’s still a steal with the destination fee. (And that’s still fewer Marriott points than the 90-105K Marriott points under the legacy SPG program.)
Definitely yes. Was just checking since the reservation made no mention of the destination fee. I falsely thought they started waiving it for award reservations. The Palacio del inka LC hotel does waive it for C+P and award bookings.

BTW @bhrubin , thanks for the concierge email address - I have already emailed them about the things I need in my room to surprise my wife.
damon88 and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.