Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Concierge email address: [email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from March 2018 including description of Table 55 at the King Cole Bar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Print Wikipost

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by pWei
In NYC, some properties have many elites that get 4pm late check out. Many guests do take advantage, perhaps a little more than they should. I've had to wait for rooms here and at other NYC properties (Andaz 5th comes to mind). At Andaz 5th, there was a time where I was running late and literally left my suite a minute before 4pm - and saw a housekeeper waiting a little down the corridor.

The prebooked veg high tea miss and waiter attitude definitely would go in the service column for me.
This is a given when late checkout is guaranteed. That's why I put the effort of the FDC in the positive column - I think you misread the column title. They offered us 4 PM checkout too - but since we had a 2.5 drive ahead of us plus some shopping we left early.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:06 am

deleted

Last edited by Ksw299; Nov 30, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:12 am

I finally heard back from the F&B manager - i am posting his response here.

rny321 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:13 pm

Anyone have experience with this hotel for 2 adults and one child on points? The base room is a King and is available for my wife and I but when I add my 11 year old in nothing is available.

Plat Premier Elite, if it matters. Also going to attach 5 SNA to the reservation.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:17 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Anyone have experience with this hotel for 2 adults and one child on points? The base room is a King and is available for my wife and I but when I add my 11 year old in nothing is available.

Plat Premier Elite, if it matters. Also going to attach 5 SNA to the reservation.
I would call and ask. But with your elite status, barring some unforeseen circumstance, I would think it’s fine. Please report back!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ksw299
I finally heard back from the F&B manager - i am posting his response here.

I probably would have gone higher up the food chain with this. I detest these kinds of responses to serious matters.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I probably would have gone higher up the food chain with this. I detest these kinds of responses to serious matters.
He is the F&B Manager, since this was a F&B issue I thought it was more appropriate. I haven't heard back after his supposed checking - suffice to say I am not returning to this hotel.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Just stayed at the St. Regis New York Saturday Dec 15th and the experience was abysmal. I had high hopes since we were celebrating my wife's birthday and the St. Regis fell short in ever aspect.

2 days prior to our stay I received an email that my SNA cleared and that's when the problems started. After receiving the email, I went into my Marriott account to attempt to see what room upgrade was granted and my reservation no longer existed. I called Marriott support and they couldn't find my reservation either. They called the St. Regis and the hotel confirmed my reservation was still on file and my SNA did clear for a Grand Suite which was an excellent surprise and would help make our celebration truly special. If only it were true.

On the day of arrival, I used the chat feature in the Marriott app to ask if/when my room would be ready and they indicated that it would not be ready before 4pm. A little disappointing, but not surprising. Upon arriving at the hotel to check-in at 3:45 that is when the true St. Regis experience began. Check-in was chaotic and slow. The receptionist seemed irritated that I was trying to check-in, spent about 5 minutes at her computer and back in the managers office before telling me the room would not be available for a while. I asked her to confirm it was a Grand Suite which she found incredulous. She went back into the manager's office another 5 minutes or so, came out and told me almost all of their guests are platinum and have already checked-in so no upgrade was available. I explained to her that this was a SNA upgrade that had already cleared and showed her the email. She took my phone back to the managers office for another 5 minutes or so and eventually the manager came out and told me it was a system glitch and no, I would not be getting any upgrade. Very disappointed, I asked them to do what they could. We would have to wait another 30 minutes or so before the room was ready, but we could wait in the lounge. We proceeded to the King Cole Lounge which had a line out the door and a 30-45 minute wait to get in. We went to the Astor Court and received the same, nothing available. We were able to find a couple of seats in the common area and got drinks which were "comped" even though we had $50 in F&B credit so I don't know why they seemed they were doing us a favor comping us our drinks. At 4:45 our room was ready so we went up to quickly change before heading out for our evening plans. The room had a half eaten fruit plate and half empty soda bottle in the refrigerator, a large mold stain on the carpet, and long strands of hair in various spots in the bathroom. Clearly it was a rush job to get the room cleaned. I was somewhat disgusted, but still trying to celebrate my wife's birthday and have a good time. We went out and had a wonderful evening in NY and returned back tot he hotel late that evening.

In the morning, we were meeting friends for breakfast who didn't want to spend $100 for a simple breakfast at our hotel so we ate elsewhere so I can't speak to any kind of breakfast at the hotel, free or otherwise. I received my folio the day I checked out and everything seemed in order. The next day I received an updated folio with over $124 in honor bar charges which I'm still trying to get corrected.

Overall, other than my entire experience with the St. Regis, we had a great time celebrating my wife's birthday in NY. I plan on never returning to the St. Regis, though. Their service was subpar, even for a standard hotel. The condition of the room was poor. I had to spend literally hours dealing with reservation, check-in, and billing issues. The hotel was a huge disappointment.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 5thofjuly
Check-in was chaotic and slow. The receptionist seemed irritated that I was trying to check-in, spent about 5 minutes at her computer and back in the managers office before telling me the room would not be available for a while. I asked her to confirm it was a Grand Suite which she found incredulous. She went back into the manager's office another 5 minutes or so, came out and told me almost all of their guests are platinum and have already checked-in so no upgrade was available. I explained to her that this was a SNA upgrade that had already cleared and showed her the email. She took my phone back to the managers office for another 5 minutes or so and eventually the manager came out and told me it was a system glitch and no, I would not be getting any upgrade. Very disappointed, I asked them to do what they could. We would have to wait another 30 minutes or so before the room was ready, but we could wait in the lounge. We proceeded to the King Cole Lounge which had a line out the door and a 30-45 minute wait to get in. We went to the Astor Court and received the same, nothing available.
I am on the second night of a similarly bad stay here. Walking in at 4:45pm the lobby had probably 15 people waiting for rooms to be ready, with another 15 people in line for check in. There was luggage everywhere, presumably from some of these people who were waiting, and it was complete chaos. This would have been bad for a Sheraton, much less a St. Regis. We were fortunate that our room was ready, and we got a one category upgrade as Platinum, but this was poor management on the part of the hotel; the chaos could easily have been avoided with more staff. All in all it took nearly a half hour to get checked in, with a completely normal check in. We are staying on points so I don't feel that bad about it, but if we were paying I'd be pretty upset.

Furthermore, the hotel is really bad on the amenities for a luxury property. No iron in the room, no Nespresso or other coffee maker in the room, no spa...I could go on.

Edited to add: More service lapses over the remainder of our stay, e.g. no turndown service the second night, 30-45 minute wait at the only bar, just about any time of day, with no priority for hotel guests (the bar is popular with tourists), and apparently the luggage storage in the lobby is standard practice because throughout our entire weekend the lobby was filled with luggage. The building is old and I presume they don't have enough storage space out of sight but it's unbecoming of a property with $1300/night rates, at least at this time of year.

For those considering this hotel and paying the going rates, I'd suggest checking out the Peninsula across the street, which is far superior at about the same price. I've stayed at the Peninsula many times and will definitely return there next time rather than trying the St. Regis again.

Last edited by MikeBOS; Dec 23, 2018 at 5:27 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Staying here for three nights in March and I am a little concerned to hear about recent issues at the property.

Has the service fallen off recently? I stayed at this property over Memorial Day Weekend last year and it was great. Would be a shame if it no longer meets the same standard, especially since I am paying cash over points.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:56 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Staying here for three nights in March and I am a little concerned to hear about recent issues at the property.

Has the service fallen off recently? I stayed at this property over Memorial Day Weekend last year and it was great. Would be a shame if it no longer meets the same standard, especially since I am paying cash over points.
With apologies to the 2 recent negative posts, I don’t think there is anything to be concerned about.

The Dec 11 migration of St Regis from the SPG to Marriott reservations system created some more Marriott IT fails. That caused some mayhem for a number of StR properties, especially coming so close to the busy holiday period. That caused some bookings to lose attached SNAs and for those to not reflect properly for a short while.

Those IT fails had nothing to do with the StR New York, but the hotel is on the front line for people to complain about when the Marriott IT went awry. It’s called scapegoating.

The comment about the poor quality of rooms is ridiculous. Someone was bitter about the Marriott IT fail and took it out obviously on the hotel. Again, that’s called scapegoating. The room quality here is exceptional, even if it isn’t our style.

I suppose it’s possible for the Astor Court and King Cole Bar to be at maximum capacity, especially during the busy holiday season. I’ve never had those issues, neither while staying at the hotel nor while staying elsewhere and coming over for a drink or bite to eat.

I am always amazed at people who are surprised or bothered that a hotel may be crowded during the holiday season.

I’m booked to return in June. The StR NY is awesome.
dgreen12, levilevi and andrewstahl like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 9, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin

With apologies to the 2 recent negative posts, I don’t think there is anything to be concerned about.

The Dec 11 migration of St Regis from the SPG to Marriott reservations system created some more Marriott IT fails. That caused some mayhem for a number of StR properties, especially coming so close to the busy holiday period. That caused some bookings to lose attached SNAs and for those to not reflect properly for a short while.

Those IT fails had nothing to do with the StR New York, but the hotel is on the front line for people to complain about when the Marriott IT went awry. It’s called scapegoating.

The comment about the poor quality of rooms is ridiculous. Someone was bitter about the Marriott IT fail and took it out obviously on the hotel. Again, that’s called scapegoating. The room quality here is exceptional, even if it isn’t our style.

I suppose it’s possible for the Astor Court and King Cole Bar to be at maximum capacity, especially during the busy holiday season. I’ve never had those issues, neither while staying at the hotel nor while staying elsewhere and coming over for a drink or bite to eat.

I am always amazed at people who are surprised or bothered that a hotel may be crowded during the holiday season.

I’m booked to return in June. The StR NY is awesome.
Thanks for the reassurance
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Thanks for the reassurance
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle here - we also had a recent stay that was excellent but had some of these issues.

On the negative side, we did have issues with SNA's getting lost (IT-side, not hotel), we were not able to check-in when we arrived (or until much later - after 6 PM), and we did see the crowding at both the King Cole bar and at Astor Court (ended up making reservations for breakfast).

On the positive side, we did receive one-category upgrades as Platinum, and the rooms were lovely and in perfect condition. The staff was excellent and helpful across the board, and the Platinum breakfast was everything we cared to have at Astor Court, well beyond even the benefit that was described to us at check-in.

Was it perfect? No. There were definitely ways it could have been better and had been better in the past, but it's still a great property that we'll be back to soon.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

To be fair, luggage was everywhere in lobbies during the Christmas period. I saw nice Rimowa cases, shopping bags, etc hanging out at the crystalline Baccarat as well. Willing to bet Peninsula was the same.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by 5thofjuly
Just stayed at the St. Regis New York Saturday Dec 15th and the experience was abysmal. I had high hopes since we were celebrating my wife's birthday and the St. Regis fell short in ever aspect.

2 days prior to our stay I received an email that my SNA cleared and that's when the problems started. After receiving the email, I went into my Marriott account to attempt to see what room upgrade was granted and my reservation no longer existed. I called Marriott support and they couldn't find my reservation either. They called the St. Regis and the hotel confirmed my reservation was still on file and my SNA did clear for a Grand Suite which was an excellent surprise and would help make our celebration truly special. If only it were true.

On the day of arrival, I used the chat feature in the Marriott app to ask if/when my room would be ready and they indicated that it would not be ready before 4pm. A little disappointing, but not surprising. Upon arriving at the hotel to check-in at 3:45 that is when the true St. Regis experience began. Check-in was chaotic and slow. The receptionist seemed irritated that I was trying to check-in, spent about 5 minutes at her computer and back in the managers office before telling me the room would not be available for a while. I asked her to confirm it was a Grand Suite which she found incredulous. She went back into the manager's office another 5 minutes or so, came out and told me almost all of their guests are platinum and have already checked-in so no upgrade was available. I explained to her that this was a SNA upgrade that had already cleared and showed her the email. She took my phone back to the managers office for another 5 minutes or so and eventually the manager came out and told me it was a system glitch and no, I would not be getting any upgrade. Very disappointed, I asked them to do what they could. We would have to wait another 30 minutes or so before the room was ready, but we could wait in the lounge. We proceeded to the King Cole Lounge which had a line out the door and a 30-45 minute wait to get in. We went to the Astor Court and received the same, nothing available. We were able to find a couple of seats in the common area and got drinks which were "comped" even though we had $50 in F&B credit so I don't know why they seemed they were doing us a favor comping us our drinks. At 4:45 our room was ready so we went up to quickly change before heading out for our evening plans. The room had a half eaten fruit plate and half empty soda bottle in the refrigerator, a large mold stain on the carpet, and long strands of hair in various spots in the bathroom. Clearly it was a rush job to get the room cleaned. I was somewhat disgusted, but still trying to celebrate my wife's birthday and have a good time. We went out and had a wonderful evening in NY and returned back tot he hotel late that evening.

In the morning, we were meeting friends for breakfast who didn't want to spend $100 for a simple breakfast at our hotel so we ate elsewhere so I can't speak to any kind of breakfast at the hotel, free or otherwise. I received my folio the day I checked out and everything seemed in order. The next day I received an updated folio with over $124 in honor bar charges which I'm still trying to get corrected.

Overall, other than my entire experience with the St. Regis, we had a great time celebrating my wife's birthday in NY. I plan on never returning to the St. Regis, though. Their service was subpar, even for a standard hotel. The condition of the room was poor. I had to spend literally hours dealing with reservation, check-in, and billing issues. The hotel was a huge disappointment.
The SNA clearing then reservation disappearing is a bug that seems to affect St Regis most of all. This happened to me as well. Called the ambassador help desk and they assured that the reservation is still there and the SNA has been approved. Couple other bugs.

1) The approval emails where all important details are blank except for the reservation number. Also the days deducted always 1 (but of course in the system the right number will be deducted). Problem is can’t use this email to prove that a certain room type was approved.

2) Hotel overrides the room type then claim that they cannot see the SNA approval so they just gave a single category upgrade (happened to me at Sheraton Melbourne).

Back to my St Regis stay, a Few days before checking in I thought best to check with St Regis NYC to see if everything is in order but to my dismay the agent says they can see the reservation but no SNA. Called ambassador again and they checked with the hotel and then says everything is still fine.

Two days before the check in the reservation re appears in my account with the standard message that says SNA approved but the room type is still the standard room. I can’t be bothered to call again by now. One day before the check in the room type changed to the Astor suite. Day of check in the room wasn’t ready, person went back to the manager room, came out and said I have been upgraded to the Madison suite. Dealing with all these IT issues is a pain but the stay itself was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.