Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Concierge email address: [email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from March 2018 including description of Table 55 at the King Cole Bar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Print Wikipost

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by wyseson
Does the $50 destination fee apply to reward stays? It doesn't appear on my reservation terms and conditions.
For what it's worth, I completed an award stay a couple weeks ago and was NOT assessed the the Destination Fee. I didn't make any special request to have it waived; in fact, I asked for clarification at check-in on what was included in the fee when I didn't get the usual rundown and the desk agent told me that it seemed the fee was not attached to my rate and therefore wouldn't be applied. I told her I was surprised and she said she was too but shrugged it off as "probably something related to the merger." Booked the room using post-merger points. I think we just got lucky with timing. YMMV
svo242 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:42 pm
E_F

Programs: Delta, SPG/Marriott
Originally Posted by wyseson
Does the $50 destination fee apply to reward stays? It doesn't appear on my reservation terms and conditions.
I just completed an award stay (one night, 60k), and was charged the $50 destination fee. It was never mentioned at any point in the booking process.

However, I was given a free upgrade to the insanely beautiful and spacious Fifth Avenue Suite after booking a Superior King. This was on a Friday night stay, and I'm a lowly default Silver for holding the SPG Amex. My hunch is that it was a program glitch from the benefits associated with the previous default Gold? Either way, I'm not complaining.
controller1 and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by E_F; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:43 pm Reason: Added some detail.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by controller1
MOMA and MET vouchers must be used the day they are issued. There is an expiration date printed on the voucher. You exchange them at the museums for an actual ticket. At MOMA you go to the Special Ticket line. The regular line had at least 20 people in it. We walked right up to the front of the Special Ticket line and were issued our admission tickets.
Would they issue one on the day of departure for one night stays (especially if checking in late)? As already highlighted, it seems like folks on one night stays get screwed if none of the credits apply on the second day...
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Would they issue one on the day of departure for one night stays (especially if checking in late)? As already highlighted, it seems like folks on one night stays get screwed if none of the credits apply on the second day...
I will update next week if you cannot do this on the day of check out but I would be shocked if the St. Regis didn't try to accommodate my experience has always been they go the extra mile (and I have only stayed on points).
controller1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Just booked a 5 night stay at the St Regis NYC and excited about it.

I have been browsing through the last 4 pages, but didn't read exactly what the platinum amenities are at the St Regis. What can we expect here?

We will arrive quite late from Paris, after reading about the $50 destination fee, I assume we won't be able to use it the first day?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by KingBraden
I will update next week if you cannot do this on the day of check out but I would be shocked if the St. Regis didn't try to accommodate my experience has always been they go the extra mile (and I have only stayed on points).
Good news - they did say that you could pick up the tickets on day of departure for my stay.

Unfortunately everything else about my experience was pretty poor. I ended up walking and booking a paid stay somewhere else. Upon check-in I was told there were no rooms available (this is at 3 PM but totally understandable - check-in time is not until 4 PM). However, I was "teased" by saying that if I was willing to pay for an upgrade there were St. Regis suites available for immediate check-in. I declined and said I would wait for my standard room. When they finally got a room ready (30-45 minutes later), I was given literally one of the wost (if not the worst) rooms in the hotel - it did not even meet the definition of their standard superior rooms (it had 9 foot ceilings rather than 12 foot ceilings, a single sink in the bathroom, and no chandelier on account of the short room height). I've stayed at this hotel a number of times including in standard superior rooms and this was not a standard superior room.

Apparently rather than give a 140 night Platinum Premier Elite an upgrade to a St. Regis suite complimentary and avoid having to wait at check-in, they would rather stick me in one of the worst rooms at the hotel. I get that I was staying on points and I'm a small fry there, but I couldn't believe that they tried to get me to buy-up to an upgraded room and then put me in a dumpy (by NYC St. Regis standards) room.

If this is going to be the standard new "Marriott-infused" SPG experience then I'll be switching hotel brands in short order.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Remcod
Just booked a 5 night stay at the St Regis NYC and excited about it.

I have been browsing through the last 4 pages, but didn't read exactly what the platinum amenities are at the St Regis. What can we expect here?

We will arrive quite late from Paris, after reading about the $50 destination fee, I assume we won't be able to use it the first day?
I recommend you immediately hit the bar as it is the easiest way to drop $50 quickly.

Don’t further to send $50 of laundry down too each day.

I never quite understood the brekky deal after 3 days. They comped a lot though - I just took a couple of a la carte plates. When you sit down, a guy will come over with a flask of orange juice and ask if you want a glass. If you agree, you have just spent $30 plus tax plus service between you, so basically your entire breakfast credit. Be warned! Adding a coffee is $18 plus tax plus service for a couple, and you haven’t eaten yet.

Free butler coffee is only available at check in and before noon. After that they refuse to bring it and insist you call room service which is $20 for a cup (base cost plus $8 tray charge plus 18% compulsory tip plus tax). No coffee machine in your room or suite.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Free butler coffee is only available at check in and before noon. After that they refuse to bring it and insist you call room service which is $20 for a cup (base cost plus $8 tray charge plus 18% compulsory tip plus tax). No coffee machine in your room or suite.
I’m sorry, but this is incorrect. Butler coffee/beverage service is available all day. We had butler service bring us iced coffees in the afternoon. I’m sorry that didn’t happen for you for some reason.

This is generally true of butler service at any St Regis. We’ve had beverage service in the afternoons and even once in the evening at the StR SF, StR Rome, StR Houston, StR Bahia Beach, StR Bora Bora, StR Osaka, and also the StR New York. We’ve even had butler services bring us a second beverage service in a day on a few rare occasions—no charge.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 23, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
In my booking confirmation following note was added:

A $50 USD Destination Fee is added to your stay per night that includes $50 F&B credit, $50 laundry/dry cleaning credit, $25 hair salon credit, free HSIA, local, long distance and international calls, two museum tickets per day, and more.

Is it $50 F&B + $50 laundry and so on or is it $50 or $50?

If plus, seems like a great deal.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by ethernal
Good news - they did say that you could pick up the tickets on day of departure for my stay.

Unfortunately everything else about my experience was pretty poor. I ended up walking and booking a paid stay somewhere else. Upon check-in I was told there were no rooms available (this is at 3 PM but totally understandable - check-in time is not until 4 PM). However, I was "teased" by saying that if I was willing to pay for an upgrade there were St. Regis suites available for immediate check-in. I declined and said I would wait for my standard room. When they finally got a room ready (30-45 minutes later), I was given literally one of the wost (if not the worst) rooms in the hotel - it did not even meet the definition of their standard superior rooms (it had 9 foot ceilings rather than 12 foot ceilings, a single sink in the bathroom, and no chandelier on account of the short room height). I've stayed at this hotel a number of times including in standard superior rooms and this was not a standard superior room.

Apparently rather than give a 140 night Platinum Premier Elite an upgrade to a St. Regis suite complimentary and avoid having to wait at check-in, they would rather stick me in one of the worst rooms at the hotel. I get that I was staying on points and I'm a small fry there, but I couldn't believe that they tried to get me to buy-up to an upgraded room and then put me in a dumpy (by NYC St. Regis standards) room.

If this is going to be the standard new "Marriott-infused" SPG experience then I'll be switching hotel brands in short order.
Ethernal, what was the room number of the "Standard Inferior Room" you received? Was it on the 19th floor (same floor as fitness center) where the ceilings are lower or on lower floors in one of the interior additions?

I've stayed at this property a number of times as well and always book at least the Grand Deluxe room. Even the Grand Deluxe room (their best non-suite room) has their own "inferior" versions. They end with "22" and are located at the back of hotel near the elevator with an interior view. When I don't like my room, I always ask the front desk to do a room change the next day which always happened. I seem to almost always get a complimentary suite upgrade the second night of my stay when I suggest "upsell" to the front desk clerk before they suggest it.

This property has a problem with almost everyone getting 4PM check out. It is gotten to a point that almost every stay I would get a letter on the morning of check out asking me to "volunteer" to early check out for extra points.

When staying at the property, do not rely on getting anything good at 4PM check-in if they are fully committed that day. If I am told "no" at 4PM, I would return about 6:00PM to 6:30PM and ask if there are any rooms/suites that were "previously in dirty status at 4PM but now clean". Since I've stayed there a number of times, they would now automatically offer me an upgrade (when checking in early) if I am willing to wait into the evening.

As for Platinum upgrades, the highest room type they upgrade to is the Madison Suite. Anything above is handled as an upsell. Was the price differential they offered you the difference between your Superior room and the St. Regis Suite or the price difference between the Madison Suite and the St. Regis Suite? Note that the St. Regis Suite is an interior facing suite.

At some hotels, what I would sometimes get is an "hypothetical upgrade" to their highest upgradable suite type and then an upsell.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’m pretty sure that I was in one of the ‘22 rooms when I stayed - it felt a bit like it could have previously been some kind of storage room. It didn’t make me want to rush to return (and apparently not much of an upgrade for a Plat Ambassador pre merger), but it is reassuring that most other rooms are better.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Remcod
In my booking confirmation following note was added:

A $50 USD Destination Fee is added to your stay per night that includes $50 F&B credit, $50 laundry/dry cleaning credit, $25 hair salon credit, free HSIA, local, long distance and international calls, two museum tickets per day, and more.

Is it $50 F&B + $50 laundry and so on or is it $50 or $50?

If plus, seems like a great deal.
It's PLUS. You get both a $50 F&B credit and a $50 laundry/dry cleaning credit per day.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles

. . .

I never quite understood the brekky deal after 3 days. They comped a lot though - I just took a couple of a la carte plates. When you sit down, a guy will come over with a flask of orange juice and ask if you want a glass. If you agree, you have just spent $30 plus tax plus service between you, so basically your entire breakfast credit. Be warned! Adding a coffee is $18 plus tax plus service for a couple, and you haven’t eaten yet.

. . .
The Platinum breakfast is essentially the value of the All American Breakfast which is $46. And to get around your problem, the All American Breakfast includes two eggs any style, breakfast potatoes, your choice of breakfast meat, your choice of toast, coffee and unlimited refills on that orange juice! And all of that is comped!

If you do not wish to have the All American, then order a la carte and you will receive a comp of $46.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:54 am

For the platinum amenity breakfast, is gratuity not included? the food charges were taken off but the tip stayed
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’m sorry, but this is incorrect. Butler coffee/beverage service is available all day. We had butler service bring us iced coffees in the afternoon. I’m sorry that didn’t happen for you for some reason.

This is generally true of butler service at any St Regis. We’ve had beverage service in the afternoons and even once in the evening at the StR SF, StR Rome, StR Houston, StR Bahia Beach, StR Bora Bora, StR Osaka, and also the StR New York. We’ve even had butler services bring us a second beverage service in a day on a few rare occasions—no charge.
It didn't happen to me for the reason that my butler clearly explained on the phone, which is what I wrote! Beyond noon you're stuffed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.