Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Avis, United
Originally Posted by starbuk
Is it easy to swim in the water near the Superior Bungalows? Is the water clear enough to do so and is there a large current to worry about? Thank in advance.
Water is about 8-9 ft deep and has virtually no current. (The resort is built inside the lagoon). You should have no problem swimming around bungalows, although life jacket is always recommended for your safety. Water is clear, but there's nothing much to see in the water at the same time.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:55 am

I know I read in this thread that SNA's are not available for this hotel but they show up as an option for my reservation and was able to select the Royal and Premier OVB and shows the request as pending. It even provided the choice of the royal estate but didn't choose it as I want the views. Lets see if they are actually approved as my stay is before the end of the month.

Anybody else seeing the ability to choose SNA's?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I know I read in this thread that SNA's are not available for this hotel but they show up as an option for my reservation and was able to select the Royal and Premier OVB and shows the request as pending. It even provided the choice of the royal estate but didn't choose it as I want the views. Lets see if they are actually approved as my stay is before the end of the month.

I made a dummy booking and can see those options too. I'm guessing it has to be a mistake since the Royal Estate was included, but hopefully this means they will participate and at least allow a deluxe and premier upgrade with the SNAs. I can't see the royal villas or estate being included long term, but who knows.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by physi
Water is about 8-9 ft deep and has virtually no current. (The resort is built inside the lagoon). You should have no problem swimming around bungalows, although life jacket is always recommended for your safety. Water is clear, but there's nothing much to see in the water at the same time.
Thank you!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Has anybody successfully being upgraded using SNA at this hotel lately? If you did, what kind of upgrade did you end up getting?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond

Sweet! I'm going for a few nights to kick off my honeymoon in October, and was planning on buying my way into an upgrade (they offer it for ~12k pts/night, I believe) but I now have the SNA option available too!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:39 pm

My SNA's were not approved as the hotel was full which even the employees were surprised it was full in March. Think it was because the LM was closed for reno's.

They did put me in best view in my category, 321, and seem genuine in attempting to upgrade but couldn't because of capacity.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:42 am

Is there a good way to find recent trip reports that reference the Four Seasons? We are deciding between StR and the Four Seasons and the only TRs in this thread are not accessible.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by starbuk
Is there a good way to find recent trip reports that reference the Four Seasons? We are deciding between StR and the Four Seasons and the only TRs in this thread are not accessible.
I stayed at both in February, and here were my thoughts.

Overall, I felt like the St. Regis property (pools, beach, restaurants) was better, but that the rooms were better maintained at the Four Seasons and the service was also a little more polished.

I don't think you can go wrong with either place, but I'd probably pick the St. Regis again. It was more of a "WOW" property to me (amazing picture spots, larger rooms, etc.), and I felt like the restaurants were better and there was more to do around the resort. That said, there were some small things like nicked up furniture and service glitches that you wouldn't expect at such a high end property. All that said, my view is somewhat skewed because the St. Regis was $300/night less, and I was upgraded as a SPG platinum member to a premier overwater villa with the jacuzzi tub and perfect view. We were also given the buffet breakfast free each morning as the platinum amenity. So I'm not sure how I would have felt in the base room at the St. Regis for the same price as the Four Seasons.

That said, it seems like the St. Regis was always cheaper than the FS, so at $200-300/night cheaper I would always choose the St. Regis even without platinum status. I actually thought switching between the two was fun though, so if you're truly torn and going to be there for 5 or more days, it may be worth switching in the middle to see for yourself.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I stayed at both in February, and here were my thoughts.

Overall, I felt like the St. Regis property (pools, beach, restaurants) was better, but that the rooms were better maintained at the Four Seasons and the service was also a little more polished.

I don't think you can go wrong with either place, but I'd probably pick the St. Regis again. It was more of a "WOW" property to me (amazing picture spots, larger rooms, etc.), and I felt like the restaurants were better and there was more to do around the resort. That said, there were some small things like nicked up furniture and service glitches that you wouldn't expect at such a high end property. All that said, my view is somewhat skewed because the St. Regis was $300/night less, and I was upgraded as a SPG platinum member to a premier overwater villa with the jacuzzi tub and perfect view. We were also given the buffet breakfast free each morning as the platinum amenity. So I'm not sure how I would have felt in the base room at the St. Regis for the same price as the Four Seasons.

That said, it seems like the St. Regis was always cheaper than the FS, so at $200-300/night cheaper I would always choose the St. Regis even without platinum status. I actually thought switching between the two was fun though, so if you're truly torn and going to be there for 5 or more days, it may be worth switching in the middle to see for yourself.
I was thinking almost the same thing - StR is less and both are probably close, so cannot go wrong. The restaurant quality is important especially considering the substantial cost. We will consider splitting up our stay, thank you!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I have heard that Louis WAN (Socit des Htels Tahitiens) has sold or is about to sale the property.
Has anyone heard the same thing and eventually knows the new ownership?

Angbang?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Thumbs up trip review

Just completed a 5 night stays with friends and 4 kids (ages 5 and 7). Here is a lengthy review.

This place in incredible. Seriously, the photos don't do this justice. You can't possibly capture the beauty. You feel like you are in a film all day long.

Rate: We originally booked an Overwater Bungalow at Le Meriden Bora Bora, but they closed for renovations (though some people at the St Regis told us they are filming a movie there), so we were re-accommodated at the St Regis -- not a bad swap. We booked a stay 4 nights get the fifth night free AAA rate. Additionally, we used Citi card to book the 4th night free promo, so we only paid 3 out of 5 nights -- at Le Meriden rate of around $600. Good deal.

Rooms: We stayed in a superior over water bungalow. They are huge. Separate living room with beds for the kids. Seriously, they are very spacious. Plenty of room for 4 people. The bathrooms are amazing. The AC works great. The outdoor shower is a nice touch. Jumping into the water each morning and evening from your deck is incredible. Water is deep and nice. Like bath water. What's strange is there are very few fish. Almost disconcertingly so. It's literally like a bath tub. But an amazing color and surrounded by mountains.

Butler Service: We used this for unpacking, which is amazing to arrive in your room completely unpacked. And we used this for morning coffee and hot chocolate, delivered each morning to be enjoyed on our porch- free of charge. Other than that, the butler service was lacking. They basically didn't do anything unless you tracked them down. We had a Japanese woman, dont recall her name? Thats how well we knew her. In my opinion she should have found us each day to check on kids and make dinner reservations. She didn't. She was like a ghost. But useful when found.

Beach: Just amazing. Don't miss the ocean hammock. Also, great to have free paddle boards and canoes. No snorkeling here but, again, like wadding into a bath. Not crowded. Easy to get chairs. Plenty of towels.

Pool: There are two. Adults only and main pool. Adults only is a nice oasis. Small. Private. The bigger pool has a nice pool bar and some cool loungers in the water. The water is almost uncomfortably warm, but better than freezing. Not huge, but a nice size and again, easy to find chairs and towels. Also, free sun tan lotion which is great. And occasional free fruit. And always free water, which is amazing.

Food: Ok, let's be clear you are in the middle of the ocean and expect to pay prices accordingly. What's funny is, the best values are expensive things. Case in point. Cans of soda are $9. The burger is $39 (but it is also amazing by US standards). However, the glasses of wine are $16 and the steak is $58, so that is in line with what you pay in LA (where we live). So don't waste it on a $35 pizza and instead go big. One unfortunate thing is mixed drinks. Very expensive and very watered down. The alcohol is nearly non existent. It's a shame they do this. I don't like strong drinks, but these were basically virgin. Not cool when you pay $28 for a Bloody Mary (seriously). Though the Bloody Mary is fantastic...We brought a few bottles of wine from the mainland. No issues there.

Bikes: There are bicycles readily available around the island -- for adults and kids. This is great. You can also call your butler in a golf cart, as some places are far apart (relatively speaking). But riding a bike around the island is a pleasure.

Lagoon: There is a man-made lagoon in the middle of the island. It is basically like swimming in an aquarium, which is cool. Tons of fish. And free snorkel gear. At first we were told they didn't have children's gear, but when we pushed they somehow "found" it. A little lazy in that regard. But this is a nice touch. Free and a nice diversion to snorkel.

Kids Club: Free, which is great. A nice hut inland on the island. A seemingly indifferent but friendly staff. They seemed to do nice art projects. If anything, it is a nice respite from the heat for the kids for an hour or two. All day would be boring, but a little here and there is good. Having kids was definitely an anomaly on the island, as its many honeymooners, but it wasn't much of an issue.

Overall: This is an amazing property. The service is lacking a bit considering the prices, but you cant get closer to a dream holiday than this.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:30 am

Thanks JB for the thorough review. Glad you had a nice time!
Old May 2, 2016, 7:33 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Just posted review in Luxury Hotels forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...vice-food.html

There's also a video of our Royal Overwater Villa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ-M...ature=youtu.be

We had a tremendous 6 nights stay. Highly recommended. ^
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mrlonghorn
I have reached out to the resort with no response but it appears that there are two hotel boat shuttles daily to Vaitape and back. The timing doesn't seem ideal... Does anyone know what happens if you are there later, e.g., dining at La Villa Mahana or drinking at Bloody Mary's until late? How does one get back to the St. Regis? I appreciate any advice, thanks!
Does anyone have answer for this question? We are interested to know if the property provides "free" boat shuttle to the main island? If it is not free, what's the cost?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.