Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ps9a
I'm happy chilling on the beach, swimming, kayaking, snorkeling, diving, etc... I also have 2 young kids who are delighted with beach time. If you're less of a beach/water person, and/or looking for a more cultural trip, Bora Bora probably isn't the best call. There's not a lot to do on the main island, and I would doubt many people travel there more than once/visit. It does have the nickname "boring boring."

Yea plan to spend most of the time just relaxing on the beach and just going into town to get lunch to save a few bucks. Did 5 night in madlives last year, and it did get a little boring, but there was not as many activities at where we stayed then what St Regis appears to offer. Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Anyone experience in bringing kids to the resort? Would the over water superior villas support 2 adults and 2 small kids?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As a Titanium I booked two nights revenue in a Reefside Villa last June for a stay next weekend for 77,900 XPF per night + taxes. By year end I was upgraded to a Overwater Deluxe Island view, lagoon access. I am a little torn because the Reefside Villa is 1200 sq/ft larger and has a private pool and outdoor shower.
We're in a similar situation. Saw it on the website recently that we've been upgraded to a Superior Overwater (just a lowly Platinum) and we booked Reefside/Beachside. We'll have a toddler with us and I think it would be more fun to have a private pool and beach, not to mention the safety concern of having too easy of an access to open water from an overwater bungalow.

I'm tempted to contact the resort but husband thinks I've spent entirely too much time on the phone with Marriott booking these reservations (he's not wrong), and we should just wait until we get to the hotel and see what happens.

Would be interested to know if you decide to go back to a Reefside villa and if you requested it ahead of check-in or if you were able to get one at check-in.

Last edited by XFer2; Feb 25, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by XFer2

Would be interested to know if you decide to go back to a Reefside villa and if you requested it ahead of check-in or if you were able to get one at check-in.
The property has already been in contact with a pre-arrival email to confirm our flight times from PPT and provide brochures with dinning, activities and spa treatments. I think I will keep the Overwater for the experience as it isn't something I would pay outright for.

I am currently on the Ocenia Marina in Atol Rangiroa and will be in Bora Bora tomorrow morning with an overnight. I may drop by the property to check it out. Should anything change, I will let you know.

James on the Oceania Marina in French Polynesia.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:42 pm

Question St Regis Bora Bora vs Conrad vs Thalasso

Hi Everyone,

This is my first thread at FT, if i posted the wrong place, please excuse me and let me know.

I'm trying to plan a 9 night trip to Bora Bora. And I want to stay at all 3 above hotels. Originally I planned 5 nights at St regis, 2 at Cornad and 2 at Thalasso because I heard St Regis supposed to be the top 2 hotel at Bora Bora. However, after I read recent review of Lucky from OMAAT for St regis, I'm hesitate to spend 5 nights at St regis due to the negative review. It seems that the St Regis is beaten down where Cornad and Thalasso is more modern.

I'm here to seek everyone's advice and recent experience on how should I distribute my night among the 3 hotels(needs to be in all 3 ..). Does it make sense to do 3 St Rgis, 2 Cornad and 4 Thalasso or 3x3x3 or what? I'm Ti Elite at Marriott, Diamond at Hilton and Pt Ambassador at IHG. Thanks for your advices!

Rick
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

I've been to French Polynesia and Bora Bora specifically twice. I would say 9 days is better spent on two islands, not just Bora Bora. I personally enjoy Moorea more as there is a local culture that you don't get on Bora Bora. Bora Bora is prettier above the water but Moorea is gorgeous too. Or if you dive, Rangiroa is wonderful - the Blue Lagoon tour was one of my favorites, as was snorkeling the gap on an incoming tide.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

I've been to French Polynesia and Bora Bora specifically twice. I would say 9 days is better spent on two islands, not just Bora Bora. I personally enjoy Moorea more as there is a local culture that you don't get on Bora Bora. Bora Bora is prettier above the water but Moorea is gorgeous too. Or if you dive, Rangiroa is wonderful - the Blue Lagoon tour was one of my favorites, as was snorkeling the gap on an incoming tide.
Hi Beachfan, thanks for your advise! I’m going to travel with family so decided to stay in one island. I’ll definitely look into your recommendations for my 2nd trip to Tahiti.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
My advice is that you're overthinking this. Specifically:

1) Both the St. Regis and Thalasso show their age a bit; this is normal. The tropical environment is very hard on luxury amenities. I think both are still in wonderful shape and amazing places to stay. The Conrad benefits from a very recent refurbishment, but "hardware" alone doesn't make a vacation. You can't go wrong with any of these three.
2) I'd reconsider staying that THREE different resorts. I personally don't think the trouble to move between them is worth it. You've already ruled out visiting another island for convenience, why complicate your life with so many hotel moves?
3) In my experience, St. Regis has the best service, Conrad the best hardware (right now) and Thalasso the best views. Pick what's most important to you and stay at two of these.
4) If you're still stuck on moving around, don't completely rule out vising another island. Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa is just a short boat ride away and might provide you with a bit more variety. Exploring Taha'a will give you some local island exposure and an opportunity to visit some beautiful vanilla plantations.
EuropeanPete and UASPG like this.

Last edited by ocdb8r; Feb 26, 2019 at 2:05 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
For 9 nights I certainly would not do 3 resorts. You will spend way too much time in transit rather than enjoying the island.

I have never been to Thalasso therefore I cannot comment.

We went to St.Regis and Conrad a few months ago. For the transfer you need to take the Conrad boat to Vaitape, wait a bit there until St.Regis pick-up van at Robert Wan shop, van takes you to Anau base on different side of the island, from there take St.Regis boat. All in maybe one hour with a bit of time to spare in Vaitape.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The property has already been in contact with a pre-arrival email to confirm our flight times from PPT and provide brochures with dinning, activities and spa treatments. I think I will keep the Overwater for the experience as it isn't something I would pay outright for.

I am currently on the Ocenia Marina in Atol Rangiroa and will be in Bora Bora tomorrow morning with an overnight. I may drop by the property to check it out. Should anything change, I will let you know.
If you have never stayed at a overwater bungalow, then it's worth keeping it and trying it once, especially as a free upgrade. We've stayed at the overwater last time so don't mind a new experience staying on land this time. I'm checking in next weekend so do let me know if you inquire about the Reefside villa.

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Anyone experience in bringing kids to the resort? Would the over water superior villas support 2 adults and 2 small kids?
I will have one toddler so depending on if we stay at the Superior Overwater Villa, I can let you know. I assume by "supporting" you meant accommodation (room for extra beds, availability of foldout sofa, etc.) and not if the overwater villa will collapse with 2 adults and 2 kids in it?!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
My advice is that you're overthinking this. Specifically:

1) Both the St. Regis and Thalasso show their age a bit; this is normal. The tropical environment is very hard on luxury amenities. I think both are still in wonderful shape and amazing places to stay. The Conrad benefits from a very recent refurbishment, but "hardware" alone doesn't make a vacation. You can't go wrong with any of these three.
2) I'd reconsider staying that THREE different resorts. I personally don't think the trouble to move between them is worth it. You've already ruled out visiting another island for convenience, why complicate your life with so many hotel moves?
3) In my experience, St. Regis has the best service, Conrad the best hardware (right now) and Thalasso the best views. Pick what's most important to you and stay at two of these.
4) If you're still stuck on moving around, don't completely rule out vising another island. Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa is just a short boat ride away and might provide you with a bit more variety. Exploring Taha'a will give you some local island exposure and an opportunity to visit some beautiful vanilla plantations.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
For 9 nights I certainly would not do 3 resorts. You will spend way too much time in transit rather than enjoying the island.

I have never been to Thalasso therefore I cannot comment.

We went to St.Regis and Conrad a few months ago. For the transfer you need to take the Conrad boat to Vaitape, wait a bit there until St.Regis pick-up van at Robert Wan shop, van takes you to Anau base on different side of the island, from there take St.Regis boat. All in maybe one hour with a bit of time to spare in Vaitape.
Thanks. Is the van arranged by St Regis in advance? Is the van service free?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by disabuse888
Thanks. Is the van arranged by St Regis in advance? Is the van service free?
Daily van for free, see details in my hotel review upthread
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:14 am

Been there many times.
Conrad's location is like any other tropical island. Nothing special. No view. Very, very hot.
St Regis - a super snobbish crowd. "Snobbish" approach to service. They follow you around at the breakfast.
Weird layout. Main restaurant is facing a backside "lake", not the main lagoon. Many villas have side views,
not the central views.
Thalasso - yes, the oldest, but really surprisingly well maintained. Better than St Regis. Great local service.
BY FAR the best view of all Bora Bora hotels.
Four Seasons - the best of all. Highest quality, best layout, great local crew. Great view.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:16 am

A plus for Thalasso is that you can take the free IC boat to Le Moana on the main island to get groceries, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.