Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mharlan100

Thanks for the video! It seems like a great deal for 60k points/night. Did you have any nights overwater? Any thoughts about whether a paid or points upgrade would have been worth it?
Glad you found our villa tour video useful and I agree it's a great use of points.

The hotel will send you this email prior to arrival:

"As a Loyalty Member, you are entitled to an upgrade based on availability at time of check-in.
Please note that this is not guaranteed and it will depend on availability at time of check-in. Should you wish to guarantee an upgrade in advance I will be pleased to send you our availability and special member upgrade price."

Since we have done overwater bungalows on prior trips (Not at this hotel though) and prefer to be on land we only inquired for an upgrade to a beach villa. The availability was limited and would require us moving twice so we didn't even ask about the associated upgrade costs.

I have Plat Premier status with 97 nights so far this year. We didn't get any extra perks during our stay except for a bottle of Billecart Champagne which I think all guests receive. The hotel was sold out a few nights during our stay so availability was scarce anyway.

IAlwaysCall - The hotel did have 35 overwater villas out of service during our stay and said all of these will be done by December 20th. From the photos on OMAAT blog it looks like just some furniture is being replaced, at least in the garden villas. There were no renovations happening to the actual property. We did find out the Four Seasons is about to start a major renovation.
bhrubin and IAlwaysCall like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kokinos
Glad you found our villa tour video useful and I agree it's a great use of points.
Yes, thanks—your video is great.

I actually have a newfound respect for the entry Reefside Garden Villa. It’s definitely more spacious overall because the living room feels much more open and is larger than the OWVs. Not to mention all that semi-private open space and the private pool. The view isn’t as dramatic as that of the lagoon facing OWVs and beach villas, but it’s still quite a pretty dramatic view and seaside location unto itself. At most properties, anything that close to the water would be a much higher category room or suite, let alone anything that large or with its own pool!

Having previously stayed at the Royal OWV, I’d actually be more than pleased to enjoy the Reefside Garden Villa for any future stays.

It’s also worth noting how clean and well maintained everything looks despite the resort’s age of 12 years. And this is the lowest category room. That’s in stark contrast to the recent OMAAT description.

And it is an incredible use of points. Before the Marriott merger, it was near impossible to find awards available here even for 120K+ Starpoints! So I always laugh about anyone complaiming about award availability here. The current Cat 7 pricing is a ridiculous steal for anyone, And the new Marriott award chart Cat 8 pricing is still a steal for this property. I think way too many have confused entitlement with wonderful opportunity when they complain about award pricing or availability at properties such as this.

IAlwaysCall - The hotel did have 35 overwater villas out of service during our stay and said all of these will be done by December 20th. From the photos on OMAAT blog it looks like just some furniture is being replaced, at least in the garden villas. There were no renovations happening to the actual property. We did find out the Four Seasons is about to start a major renovation.
I’d been told that the hotel will be closing a subset of villas in phases for renovation and refurbishment over the year year or two. They also will close various public spaces for renovation as appropriate within that time. I’m told the Four Seasons is doing something along the same lines (it’s 10 years old).
kokinos and IAlwaysCall like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 15, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:50 am

Does anyone have any pictures or thoughts on the beach villas? Do they have Otemanu views? How private are they from the adjacent villas / OWBs? Do all of them have private pools?

thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:57 pm

How are you guys checking award dates availability? Is there a way to look at a calendar and see which dates have award availability?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos
I have Plat Premier status with 97 nights so far this year. We didn't get any extra perks during our stay except for a bottle of Billecart Champagne which I think all guests receive. The hotel was sold out a few nights during our stay so availability was scarce anyway.

Wow, 35 villas out of service. Just from looking at Google maps, it appears that is almost half of the property. I would imagine that upgrade opportunities would be few with that going on.

I should also be Platinum Premier during our visit. I've stayed in an overwater bungalow and beachfront bungalow at the Park Hyatt Maldives and both experiences were spectacular. However, if we went back we would be very content with the beachfront bungalow. As great as the reefside villa is, it doesn't have beachfront or the mountain view, but we could sure save a lot of money. Decisions...

You can't snorkel on the reefside?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:43 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Can someone here confirm from experience which rooms have a private pool? The new Marriott site is so lacking in details (and generally full of room
detail errors) that I cant tell. Willing to pay the high cash upgrade with points if I know what I’m getting. TIA.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mharlan100

You can't snorkel on the reefside?
Nope. It's very rocky (sharp lava rock), and it's shallow for quite a ways, and it's usually very wavy.
kokinos likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Can someone here confirm from experience which rooms have a private pool? The new Marriott site is so lacking in details (and generally full of room
detail errors) that I cant tell. Willing to pay the high cash upgrade with points if I know what I’m getting. TIA.
The 5 Royal Overwater Villas are the only overwater ones with actual pools. The Reefside and Beachside land Villas have pools. The Premier Villas have Whirlpools, which I understand are unheated, so basically like having a plunge pool.
MilesTalk, kokinos and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jdj84
The 5 Royal Overwater Villas are the only overwater ones with actual pools. The Reefside and Beachside land Villas have pools. The Premier Villas have Whirlpools, which I understand are unheated, so basically like having a plunge pool.
^^^

I think this summary is accurate from what I recall.
MilesTalk likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:05 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Great, thanks for the quick answers, jdj84 and bhrubin !!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by jdj84
Correct. The Royal Villa on land (The really big one) has the only heated whirlpool on property.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by DPoulnot
Does anyone have any pictures or thoughts on the beach villas? Do they have Otemanu views? How private are they from the adjacent villas / OWBs? Do all of them have private pools?

thanks!
The beach side villas do not have Otemanu views. Pretty private though.

Personally, I like the overwater villas with the mountain view (rooms are huge) and then if you want to spend time on the beach, it is never crowded and is near the beach bar. Can be a nice way to split part of the day with different experiences. if you have the beach room, that is the experience of both the public and private spaces, if that makes sense.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

i don’t believe it is. But to each, their own.

I was quite surprised by OMAAT’s quite negative review of the StR. Our stay in 2016 found both our own Royal OWV and our friends’ deluxe Otemanu OWV to be in excellent shape. I think OMAAT’s personal bias towards modern design as reflected often with Park Hyatt and the new Conrad design aesthetic is salient to the negative review of the StR. It doesn’t look anything like a Sheraton.

It is true that the StR is 11 years old and is only now beginning its renovation and refurbishment. But it’s also true and obvious from the photos that the StR is in excellent shape and very well maintained. It’s also true that OMAAT is comparing the brand new Conrad hard product, coming off its recent renovation from being a Hilton.

I also found OMAAT’s review to be hypocritical:

Bolding mine. So all resorts look a little dated because they reflect authentic Polynesian charm and design, but that’s part of the charm. But it isn’t. Make up your mind, please!

So the StR doesn’t look like the same antiseptic StR Maldives, which is quite. modern...because the Maldives doesn’t have many authentic resorts with natural charm! Because each resort is on its own islet and has nothing to do with Maldivian culture. But that doesn’t make the StR Bora Bora look like any subpar Sheraton or Le Meridien I’ve ever encountered! That is pure OMAAT hyperbole and bias speaking IMO.

I point out that the StR design, much like the equally celebrated Four Seasons design, reflects an authentic Polynesian aesthetic that isn’t intended to be as modern; they are intended to reflect the sense of place that is Bora Bora. The Conrad aesthetic, much like the Park Hyatt aesthetic, is akways modern and clean and rarely reflective of the place. The StR Maldives also reflects this more modern aesthetic. That doesn’t make the StR Bora Bora feel less nice to me; it makes me feel more like I’m actually in Bora Bora!

If all you want is a modern clean design aesthetic that could be almost anywhere, then perhaps the Conrad is more for you. Of course, you also lose sight of the most emblematic view that is Bora Bora: the central Mount Otemanu mountain. The Conrad literally looks away from Mt Otemanu, while the StR, the FS, and the LM all have wonderful views onto Mt Otemanu. Talk about having no sense of place: the Conrad is modern and doesn’t even look onto what makes Bora Bora so iconic and desirable!

Then you have to consider the service and food/beverage. There is no contest, as already shared by many others who have stayed at or visited both. The same was true for us in Osaka, where we stayed at the slightly dated but elegant StR compared with the incredible hard product and amazing views from the brand new Conrad lobby and open plan rooms and suites; but the service and F/B made the StR the obvious no brainer for anyone wanting a truly luxurious experience.
I would second the above. Have been to the property 3-4 times. Some scratches on floors and other signs of age but to compare to a sheraton or westin is silly hyperbole. I would come back in a second given the overall attributes of the property; hands down.

I have not tried the new Conrad but have been by it many times. The concern i would have is the view: Most of the conrad rooms look out to the open sea or have an obscured view from the little island it is on. St Regis has a really breathtaking / unique view of the mountain since it is on the outer reef looking inward. Look at google maps and the difference is apparent. Being able to wake up to that from so many of the rooms at the hotel is really worth it for me as it distinguishes it from being on any other island with a plain ocean view (or obscured one :-)) Assuming they do the renovation others are suggesting is underway, I suspect any gaps in furnishing will dissipate. Then it is just a question of decorating taste.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
Originally Posted by DPoulnot

thanks!

Very private, huge pool, private beach amazing views of mt otemanu
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:28 pm

I've been checking award availability for quite some time. First I'd check each and every day on the starwood app. Over the last couple of days since St. Regis got integrated into the Marriott system I could see the monthly picture. Today there is no base award availability at all. Anyone have any ideas why. Can still see 60,000 points plus 65000xpf when looking at specific dates but the 60,000 points for reefside rooms are all gone.

Wondering if they are trying to make fixes for the rewards reservations that were converted to cash (happened to my wife and I), or if they are getting rid of the standard redemption at this property.

Clearly problems with the integration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.