Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Called today to check on availablility for May 2019 as the website was showing no availability at all and sadly only availability is points + cash, 60000 points + 55,000 XPF for the overwater bungalow. For me this was way over what I was willing to pay especially after reading the review of the place on OMAAT.

Cheers!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:16 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Called today to check on availablility for May 2019 as the website was showing no availability at all and sadly only availability is points + cash, 60000 points + 55,000 XPF for the overwater bungalow. For me this was way over what I was willing to pay especially after reading the review of the place on OMAAT.

Cheers!
Then we wish you a happy stay at the Conrad.

Unfortunately, I think you’ll discover that when it comes to service, OMAAT isn’t even close to the mark. I think you’ll discover that when it comes to food/beverage quality, OMAAT isn’t even close to the mark. I think you’ll discover that when it comes to Tahitian/French Polynesian authenticity, OMAAT isn’t on the mark. I think you’ll discover that when it comes to villa/OWV size, it isn’t even close. I think you’ll discover that when it comes to view and beach, it isn’t even close.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Then we wish you a happy stay at the Conrad.

Unfortunately, I think you’ll discover that when it comes to service, OMAAT isn’t even close to the mark. I think you’ll discover that when it comes to food/beverage quality, OMAAT isn’t even close to the mark. I think you’ll discover that when it comes to Tahitian/French Polynesian authenticity, OMAAT isn’t on the mark. I think you’ll discover that when it comes to villa/OWV size. It isn’t even close. I think you’ll discover that when it comes to view and beach, it isn’t even close.
I will echo this sentiment. I have to agree that the rooms are not as well kept up as they should be, but that's a common complaint at all the Bora Bora resorts. I'm sure once the new wears off the Conrad, it will be exactly the same. And none of that affected our stay.

The food at the St. Regis was the best we had on the island, and we talked to guests from several other resorts that specifically come to the St. Regis for dinner because of the food. I also don't think you can overstate the views from the St. Regis. To me, waking up to the Mt. Otemanu view is worth all the extra money the St. Regis and Four Seasons charge vs. the Conrad.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
OMAAT recent review was pretty bad. I would certainly be upset at paying these prices to find the rooms in the shape he did. To those that have been is this review a good/accurate representation of the resort?

​​​​​​https://onemileatatime.com/st-regis-...a-trip-report/
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
OMAAT recent review was pretty bad. I would certainly be upset at paying these prices to find the rooms in the shape he did. To those that have been is this review a good/accurate representation of the resort?

i don’t believe it is. But to each, their own.

I was quite surprised by OMAAT’s quite negative review of the StR. Our stay in 2016 found both our own Royal OWV and our friends’ deluxe Otemanu OWV to be in excellent shape. I think OMAAT’s personal bias towards modern design as reflected often with Park Hyatt and the new Conrad design aesthetic is salient to the negative review of the StR. It doesn’t look anything like a Sheraton.

It is true that the StR is 11 years old and is only now beginning its renovation and refurbishment. But it’s also true and obvious from the photos that the StR is in excellent shape and very well maintained. It’s also true that OMAAT is comparing the brand new Conrad hard product, coming off its recent renovation from being a Hilton.

I also found OMAAT’s review to be hypocritical:

I’m not sure it’s even fair to say this specifically about the St. Regis, as it seems to be true of all hotels in Bora Bora. There are only a handful of luxury hotels in Bora Bora, and they all look dated.

That’s part of the charm — you don’t come here looking for modern minimalist design — but everything does just feel a bit past its prime.

For example, we split our time between a land villa and an overwater villa. Our land villa was renovated, and I found the decor to be quite nice. Apparently this is the only renovated land villa so far.

Meanwhile the overwater villa wasn’t renovated, and I found the design to not at all be in line with what you’d expect from a St. Regis. The design wasn’t bad, but I’d expect this from a Sheraton or Le Meridien, and not from a St. Regis property.

So this hotel doesn’t at all compare to the St. Regis Maldives in terms of design. I’ll take it a step further — the St. Regis Maldives makes this place look like a subpar Sheraton or Le Meridien by comparison.
Bolding mine. So all resorts look a little dated because they reflect authentic Polynesian charm and design, but that’s part of the charm. But it isn’t. Make up your mind, please!

So the StR doesn’t look like the same antiseptic StR Maldives, which is quite. modern...because the Maldives doesn’t have many authentic resorts with natural charm! Because each resort is on its own islet and has nothing to do with Maldivian culture. But that doesn’t make the StR Bora Bora look like any subpar Sheraton or Le Meridien I’ve ever encountered! That is pure OMAAT hyperbole and bias speaking IMO.

I point out that the StR design, much like the equally celebrated Four Seasons design, reflects an authentic Polynesian aesthetic that isn’t intended to be as modern; they are intended to reflect the sense of place that is Bora Bora. The Conrad aesthetic, much like the Park Hyatt aesthetic, is akways modern and clean and rarely reflective of the place. The StR Maldives also reflects this more modern aesthetic. That doesn’t make the StR Bora Bora feel less nice to me; it makes me feel more like I’m actually in Bora Bora!

If all you want is a modern clean design aesthetic that could be almost anywhere, then perhaps the Conrad is more for you. Of course, you also lose sight of the most emblematic view that is Bora Bora: the central Mount Otemanu mountain. The Conrad literally looks away from Mt Otemanu, while the StR, the FS, and the LM all have wonderful views onto Mt Otemanu. Talk about having no sense of place: the Conrad is modern and doesn’t even look onto what makes Bora Bora so iconic and desirable!

Then you have to consider the service and food/beverage. There is no contest, as already shared by many others who have stayed at or visited both. The same was true for us in Osaka, where we stayed at the slightly dated but elegant StR compared with the incredible hard product and amazing views from the brand new Conrad lobby and open plan rooms and suites; but the service and F/B made the StR the obvious no brainer for anyone wanting a truly luxurious experience.
1readyset2go likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 14, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
bhrubin: I think you just cannot accept that you are wrong.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go

We were in the 2 bedroom ROWV at the end of Nov, and while some of the furniture was worn, and the floor was a bit scratched, we found the room to be very clean, the beds to be amazing, and while the bathrooms were a bit dated, they were large and functional. We stayed at the Four Seasons 2 years ago, and while the rooms may be SLIGHTLY more modern, we had sand coming through the roof, and cockroaches in the room (which was the very last villa on the end of the pontoon furthest away from the hotel.) The food at the Four Seasons was borderline gross, whereas, the food at the St Regis was really good. We ate at Lagoon twice while we were there, and it is the restaurant that is usually visited by people from the other resorts. His complaint about the lack of fish on menu's really seems to only apply to the room service menu, and even then, there were still a couple fish choices. Then he says he doesn't want to eat fish for Lunch and Dinner, so not sure what he was really looking for. Lagoon had really good, albeit, expensive dinner food. We ate there twice in our three days. I had what may have been some of the best fish I've ever had. Bamboo was also good, for more basic (chinese/japanese) food. We didn't try the Italian restaurant, as the menu didn't appeal to us. All in all, it's not perfect, but we would go back there long before we would go back to the Four Seasons. The lack of view at the Conrad doesn't appeal to us at all.
bhrubin and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
OMAAT’s review makes me think of the dearly departed St Regis Princeville. Beautiful reviews, a bit of a spirit to it, but out of date and poorly kept interiors.

I plan on being one of the very few luxury hotel visitors who will happen to be passing by Bora Bora a number of times next year, so i’m going to have to be opportunistic in where i end up. For now, Hilton appears to have quite good availability in the region (Moorea, etc) and so I might never get to thinking about relative value. We’ll see...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianGeese
Same thing happened to me! I'm going in March. I've called SPG and they'll put in a ticket, but nothing from them so far....
Originally Posted by IAlwaysCall
Just put a ticket in as well after speaking with them. My points are still attached to the reservation and obviously not in my account so I'm a little relieved I guess
Just spoke to a customer service rep and she said this is a system error that they're well aware of. It started happening two days ago when the hotel moved to a different system. She said the error will correct itself within a week. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I made another award reservation for a Westin in Japan while on the phone, and she also told me that the reservation will come through first as a cash booking, which it did, but will convert into a points reservation after 20 mins, which I'm still waiting...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
This has long been a bucket list property for us. I would not even consider the Conrad because of its lack of view. He made it sound like the owners either did not care, or did not have the money to do maintenance. I have no idea if there is any truth to that. I don't read OMAAT very often so i don't know what his biases are, but when I saw he had a review of the Regis I wanted to read it. I always trust regular FT posters over every other source
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LTP, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver, Delta Silver
Anyone have an idea when the renovations are expected to be done?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:26 am

I recently stayed here for a week and these are my thoughts on the property.

Service is a mixed bag, especially at the restaurants. Being told it's "tapas night" and you can't order off the regular menu at the bar and right after we order we notice the table next to ours served items from the regular menu which was available.

At every meal my drink would be empty before someone would offer to get me another. Staff leaving bottles of white wine out in the sun for extended periods and having to remind them to put it back in the fridge. Being served luke warm beers and then asking for ice bags to keep them cool only to have them not provide the ice bags on subsequent orders.

Even though many people state the food here is the best out of all the hotels they sure set the bar low. Our favorite dinner was the Indian night but I do love anything that comes out of tandoor oven. Our other meals were fine but by day 4 we started eating off the property. Lagoon restaurant mains were shockingly poor, the couple next to us sent their entrees back.

Breakfast buffet is nothing to write home about. The eggs bennie we were served was terrible, the hollandaise from a Knorr packet is a delicacy compared to what they make. Selection is limited and doesn't change much from day to day and many foods sit and melt. Many of the breads and pastries are stale.

The best food we found on the main island is at Matira beach restaurant and luckily this was on our 2nd day during lunch on the jetski tour so we visited quite often. Even the concierge agreed the sushi at Matira beach is much better compared to Bamboo restaurant at the resort.

We met some staff who never worked in hospitality before working here which I wasn't expecting.

The grounds are rough around the edges and it sure seems like the owners are doing the bare minimum to maintain. At times I was amazed this place is a St Regis and not a Sheraton.

The location is amazing. The lagoon has been a real treat to explore. I do wish more of the hotel facilities faced the famous Mount Otenamu besides just the Lagoon resto and arrival/departure jetty.

We prefer villas on land and even though ours had many nicks and scratches it didn't deter from our stay. I would say housekeeping here has done an amazing job of keeping our villa clean. It's a shame as some of the minor deficiencies in the villa we had could be fixed in minutes with some touch up paint.

Overall I was happy to experience this special place of our planet and our stay at the St Regis was fine but I wouldn't classify this as a real luxury hotel. With only 10 hotels in Bora Bora choices are limited and we didn't visit any other hotels to be able to compare. We are still on vacation so keeping this post quick but if anyone has any specific questions I would be glad to answer.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:34 pm

Upgrades?

Has anyone being successful of getting upgraded complementary from the Reefside Pool Vila to an OWB as a Plat/PP so far (on a 60k booking)?
mharlan100 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos
Thought I would share a video/tour of this hotels Garden Villa for those who would like to get a better feel of the space.

https://youtu.be/uPYKDig532M
Thanks for the video! It seems like a great deal for 60k points/night. Did you have any nights overwater? Any thoughts about whether a paid or points upgrade would have been worth it?

Last edited by mharlan100; Dec 15, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by thomasito
Has anyone being successful of getting upgraded complementary from the Reefside Pool Vila to an OWB as a Plat/PP so far (on a 60k booking)?
I've been wondering this as well. I'm also wondering if there have been any Platinum/PP upgrades to the mountain view if paying cash plus 60k points for the cheapest overwater bungalow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.