Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old May 30, 19, 2:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: bhrubin
Wiki Link
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2016 (Royal Overwater Villa):

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...reat-food-1362
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 16, 06, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by psyflyer
If you are able to spend $1000+/night i HIGHLY suggest Le Tahaa ( www.letahaa.com ). As far as FP goes Le Tahaa is the undisputed 800pd gorilla of luxury. Believe you me that its worth every cent. Alternatively you might want to wait for the new IC and FS however the plot of land in Raiatea le Tahaa sits its what makes it worth it. PS - go in style and take the chopper... killer ride.
Although a lot of people seem to talk highly about Le Tahaa, FWIW, we have very close friends who also travel frequently and stayed at Le Tahaa on their honeymoon after staying at the BBN. They said they much preferred the BBN. They said Le Tahaa was overrated, expensive, and "older". They reported that they wouldn't go back.
Old Jan 16, 06, 8:26 pm

I have been doing some research on our trip to BBN and Sherton Moorea in September. So far, I have found that it is usually about the same price to book the hotel through Starwood than through a travel agent till today...

A (recommended) travel agent recently quoted me a price that was about $500 cheaper for 4 nights @ BBN and $500 cheaper for 3 nights @ Sheraton Moorea (taxes and airport transfers included). I am strongly considering getting this price instead of the original bookings I had.

Quick note: The SPG booking price does not include airport transfer (I don't think) -- not sure if that is free or not, but my guess is its not -- so potentially its more than $500 savings...

Are there any potential pitfalls to booking with the agent rather than SPG? Here are the ones I am aware of:
1. No points (for $1000 total savings, I'd be OK with that -- plus $1000 buys me more points that I would earn for the stays).
2. Cancellations are probably not possible or will come with a big penalty.

Any others?

Last edited by anamaniac; Jan 16, 06 at 8:29 pm
Old Jan 26, 06, 4:09 pm

From my conversation with the SPG Platinum Desk this afternoon:

- Apparently there is no High or Low season currently loaded in the system.

- There are two kinds of 1BR Over Water "Villas": Regular (1500+ sq ft) and Premier (1900+ sq ft with a jacuzzi).

- The Regular 1BR OWV is the only one available on points

- Not sure about the other poster, but I asked about next August, and the info I got is that they are running 70k pts/night in "Low Season" (b/c there is no high/low loaded) vs. the BBN's OWBs at 62,5k in High Season (not sure about the discrepancy, but I would guess the SR has 60k set for low season & 70k for high season, and they haven't finished updating the systems yet).

I wish I asked, but forgot... anybody happen to know if they'll offer the same kind of complementary activities as the BBN, e.g., catamarans, kayaks, snorkeling, etc.? I couldn't find anything on the hotel site, etc.

Last edited by wildblueyonder; Jan 26, 06 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 26, 06, 11:30 pm

Does anyone else see a bad deal using Starpoints here?

60k pts for a 700-1,000usd a night room is only 1.2 - 1.7c a point.

I guess I can see if you cant/dont want to shell out the cash to stay there. But those points are worth minimum 2c a piece. Why leave so much on the table. Starwood isnt like an airline with threat of deafault at anytime. So you could go alot more with those 240k Starpoints than 5kUSD imo.

You could get $5k worth of value or:
10-15n at a normal cat 6
18-25n at a cat 5
30n cat 4
300k airline miles

Seems to me that in a perfect world, you'd pay for that stay and use points elsewhere on a host of other options/vacations.

Ken in Phx
Old Jan 26, 06, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Question

Excuse me for coming on board this thread real late and for my ignorance, but I thought it only took 20K starpoints for an award night at a Cat 6. Even the BBN or StR BB sites through redemption links state the following: "SPG Category 6 : 20000 To 25000 Starpoints for a free night"

Yet gleff and others detail above that it currently takes a min of 40K (beach bungalow) and 50K (OWB) per award night. Is there a lower class of room avail at 20K

Maruru in advance for any replies ^
Old Jan 27, 06, 1:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Never mind. I was able to find my answer after a search. @:-)

It seems BBN only has "suite" accomodations...thus the higher redemption rates.

I've stayed at the Pearl Beach BB resort in 2000 and dreamt of staying at the Hotel Bora Bora (Aman Resort). Anyone stay at both HBB and BBN that can offer some comparative insight? I would prefer an FT opinion than one at tahiti-explorer.com.
Old Feb 3, 06, 8:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; HH Gold; Hyatt Globalist; IHG SpireAmb; UA2KMM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
I've made a reservation at BBN in early March for $475 (the "cheapest" room). How likely would I get an upgrade to OWB as a SPG Plat member? Close to 10%?
Old Feb 4, 06, 6:20 pm

I called the platinum desk today also. Low season redemption is (as stated above) 70k/night. High season is 87.5k/night. For five nights with the 5th night free benefit, we are talking 280k and 350k respectively.

You could do that or camp out in Hawaii for a couple of months...
Old Feb 5, 06, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Is there more than one room class available for awards a la the Nui (which offers 2 levels, beach bungalow and OWB)?
Old Feb 5, 06, 2:54 pm

When I called, the agent said that only one reward type for OWBs was loaded. I did not ask exactly which OWB category she was referring to but I think it's safe to assume that it will be low end of the bungalows offered.

I may actually do this for a couple of nights in September. I was there when the St. Regis was still being built and the sand around that part of the lagoon is the finest I have ever seen in my life.
Old Feb 7, 06, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by michaelr
I may actually do this for a couple of nights in September. I was there when the St. Regis was still being built and the sand around that part of the lagoon is the finest I have ever seen in my life.
Have you been to the BBN? Do you have anything to add on the location of the SRBB vs. the BBN's?

I may have to wait until April to hear more, but I'm really on the fence about whether I want to switch over to the SR for our honeymoon--looking for anything to push me one way or the other...
Old Feb 20, 06, 7:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia
Just as a heads-up: The St. Regis website has moved the date for which reservations are accepted from April to June 20.
Old Feb 25, 06, 2:11 pm

for those of you watching & waiting, they added two pictures: 1 recycled spa picture, and 1 new one of an OWB (scroll to the bottom of the sequence on the property home page):

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=1743
Old Feb 26, 06, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by wildblueyonder
Have you been to the BBN? Do you have anything to add on the location of the SRBB vs. the BBN's?
No, I have not stayed at the BBN. I stayed at the IC a couple of years ago. IMHO, the SPBB's location is superior because it's on the motu and the sand is the finest I have ever felt in my life. Far superior to Grand Cayman's quality of sand, for example. Don't expect a huge beach though in the classic sense. If you have the points and can justify spending them, go for it. I am still debating. I am currently booked again at the IC for 5 nights (the old one, the new one is not bookable yet, last I checked).

It comes down to spending 150,000 PC points for a perfectly fine hotel in BB or 280k+ Starpoints for the over-the-top experience. I am thinking a 3-2 day split with the IC BB first.
Old Mar 9, 06, 9:14 am

More pictures from another chat (this looks like the 2BR 3500sq ft villa...)...

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stregis9iu.jpg

Search this Thread
Search Engine: