Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Westin Chosun (spelling?).
Correct, on both counts
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by geilux
3 days short stopover in Seoul this coming August.
2 adults and 1 child (12 Y old) - Leisure, not business

Any suggestion for best SPG in town for location ?
Something new the Westin Chosun offers families unable to access the lounge due to age of kids...

1) go to the lounge and ask for the lobby bar pass for families
2) go to lobby bar and present card
3) unlimited wine and beer and a three tiered platter with sandwiches, sweets, nuts, fruit, etc

We stay here often during the weekends... around 1.5 months ago this was offered and we've taken advantage ever since then, especially since our 2 year old requires a break around that time period before another stretch out and about.

Be sure to inquire when checking in...it was a great perk and the place was empty during that time period...also the ladies working there are always very kind to our son.

Last edited by singtx; Mar 1, 2016 at 8:52 pm
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by singtx
Something new they offer families unable to access the lounge due to age of kids...

Sorry, which hotel is this for?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Sorry, which hotel is this for?
Westin Chosun. fixed post to include name of hotel
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by singtx
Something new the Westin Chosun offers families unable to access the lounge due to age of kids...

2) go to lounge and present the card
3) unlimited wine and beer and a three tiered platter with sandwiches, sweets, nuts, fruit, etc
Well noted, thanks for your assistance^
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I realize the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam Hotel isn't open yet but any idea how it compares location-wise for a pleasure/tourist trip (first time visitors - 3 day stopover en route to Myanmar) to the D-Cube or Westin?

I would prefer the D-Cube or potentially this new hotel over the Westin due to the points difference for my visit -- these are 7K and 10k per night vs the Westin at 16K/night. Aloft Gangnam is also available for 7K

Or asked another way, what are the next best options for a tourist to stay if we were to take the Westin out of the equation due to points cost?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start by looking at the subwway map. If the hotel is located very close to a subway station, especially if you can get to the tourist areas without changing subway lines, the hotel could work very well, although IMO D-Cube is too far/too long of a ride to do often.

Also IMO parts of Gangnam are interesting for walking, generally those areas close to the river and not back from CODEX, although they're not on the top of lists of tourist attractions.

A lot depends on how long you will be in Seoul.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I realize the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam Hotel isn't open yet but any idea how it compares location-wise for a pleasure/tourist trip (first time visitors - 3 day stopover en route to Myanmar) to the D-Cube or Westin?

I would prefer the D-Cube or potentially this new hotel over the Westin due to the points difference for my visit -- these are 7K and 10k per night vs the Westin at 16K/night. Aloft Gangnam is also available for 7K

Or asked another way, what are the next best options for a tourist to stay if we were to take the Westin out of the equation due to points cost?
I'm a Korean who actually used to live around the Palace hotel area.

The palace hotel is a 5 minute walk to Metro line 3, 7, and 9. These are valuable because the Metro line 3 goes north to south, while 7 and 9 go east to west.

You are also 1 stop away from the transfer station to Metro line 2, which circles around Seoul in a loop.

Taking line 3, you will get to traditional places like Gyeongbok-palace in about 30 minutes by metro, and having such a broad range of lines to take will help you get around.

But note that there is not much around the hotel to enjoy, you will have to take the metro to get to places that are sought after.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Stayed last at both D Cube and Westin a month ago. This is my take:

D Cube is a distance away from the city centre but not a problem for me to travel on a daily basis.
Westin is near to almost everything but is busy and quite crowded.

In terms of rooms (suites) I much preferred D Cube - much better furnished simply because it is much newer.

Service standards for both hotels are very good, Westin slightly more efficient while D Cube is slightly warmer.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The new NEST Design Hotel offers a shuttle from Incheon Airport as well as the corner of Grand Hyatt Incheon (old tower) where people can get off to visit the mall/e-mart.

Hotel itself is fine, interesting and comfortable rooms. Small though. Prices for any type of dining are outrageous. The rate itself was cheap though, less than 70$ tax incl.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by meraki1990
I'm a Korean who actually used to live around the Palace hotel area.

The palace hotel is a 5 minute walk to Metro line 3, 7, and 9. These are valuable because the Metro line 3 goes north to south, while 7 and 9 go east to west.

You are also 1 stop away from the transfer station to Metro line 2, which circles around Seoul in a loop.

Taking line 3, you will get to traditional places like Gyeongbok-palace in about 30 minutes by metro, and having such a broad range of lines to take will help you get around.

But note that there is not much around the hotel to enjoy, you will have to take the metro to get to places that are sought after.
I stayed at the JW Marriott on my first visit to Seoul (which is very close to the Palace hotel), and agree with this. I found it easy to get around from the Express Bus Terminal, but the immediate area was a bit bland in terms of things to do or obvious tourist attractions.

That said, my go-to now (stayed there on each of my last two visits to Seoul) is the Sheraton D-Cube. One of the best Sheratons anywhere in my opinion. Being right near a station for Lines 1 and 2 makes it quick enough to most places for me. And the service has always been fantastic there for me.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by brosnan6

Thanks for this. Ive got a two night stay coming up 1 week after opening, so will post a review on this property.

Cancelled a reservation at the reportedly amazing Park Hyatt... so hopefully this Sheraton doesnt disappoint!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
I am travelling to Seoul for the first time end of September.
Was impressed when I searched in the SPG by the number of SPG properties in Seoul, but how to decide which property to book...

I am going for business and will have meetings all over Seoul, so a central location would be convenient.
As I will be all by myself it would be convenient not to have to travel too much in the evenings when I want to go and have dinner.

I am SPG Plat, so off course i like the recognition, but location is also very important.
From what I've read in this thread, it seems the Westin seems to be the best option.
I had a look at their prices and their pictures and I thought it might be a bit overpriced compared with other hotels in Seoul.

What would you recommend for me to stay?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Remcod
I am travelling to Seoul for the first time end of September.
Was impressed when I searched in the SPG by the number of SPG properties in Seoul, but how to decide which property to book...

I am going for business and will have meetings all over Seoul, so a central location would be convenient.
As I will be all by myself it would be convenient not to have to travel too much in the evenings when I want to go and have dinner.

I am SPG Plat, so off course i like the recognition, but location is also very important.
From what I've read in this thread, it seems the Westin seems to be the best option.
I had a look at their prices and their pictures and I thought it might be a bit overpriced compared with other hotels in Seoul.

What would you recommend for me to stay?
For central business district, I usually prefer Westin Chosun ( if on north side of the river) or Grand Intercontinental( in in Gang-Nam area).
The Sheraton Walker Hill and W are too out of the way for business.
Sheraton D-Cubed is quite far west, and is fine if you are travelling a lot
by subway and doing tourist things; but a little inconvenient otherwise.
No comment on the newer Seoul additions as I have not stayed in any of them.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you'll be there for some time for business, it can be very nice to have lounge access as a convenient way of avoiding a big late dinner every night, although of course you might have some business dinners or evenings out drinking with clients/colleagues during your stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.