Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 5:20 pm

It should be open by December, but its already been delayed. Where are you headed in Seoul? The KAL Limo bus still might be faster.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:43 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by makin'miles
It should be open by December, but its already been delayed. Where are you headed in Seoul?
Westin Chosun
Originally Posted by makin'miles
The KAL Limo bus still might be faster.
sure I do like the Limo Bus, I'm more intersted in a potential alternative mode of transport into the city.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:47 am

I understand that once the link is open, only two trains an hour will be 'express' trains that will stop only at Gimpo Airport enroute to Seoul Station. These are also supposed to be equipped with luggage racks, and I understand the journey time will be something like 45 minutes.

The other trains will all stop at a number of stations along the way (and at some of these very few passengers will board... local politics trumping good sense, IMO), slowing the trip into town somewhat.

Once you arrive at Seoul Station, you'll either have to make your way out to a taxi or transfer to subway line 1 (the dark blue line) for a trip one stop away to City Hall.

I'm not sure where the airport line will connect to the subway at City Hall, and whether or not the transfer to the subway will be included in the fare from the airport or you'll have to buy a new ticket. Its probably a four-five minute walk from KTX lines at Seoul Station to subway line one.

Once you arrive at City Hall, you probably have another 5-7 minute walk through the underground shopping area to reach the Westin, including a number of staircases. Unless you know where you're going, this might be confusing, and I wouldn't do it with too much luggage.

If taking a taxi, you may want to exit out the west, or 'back' exit of the station, as cabs there are pointed north, the direction you need to head to get to the Westin. Cabs outside the main exit will leave the station headed south, and need to u-turn further down the road. After waiting in line for a fare, if you're not a Korean speaker don't be surprised if a taxi driver pretends to not understand the destination, preferring to hold out for a more lucrative fare (although they all understand Wes-tin Cho-sun Ho-tel).

Long story short, Seoul's new train will not be Hong Kong's, and even if you arrive on the platform at Incheon 30 seconds before an express train departs, the limo busses will probably still be faster, not to mention less confusing.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:16 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
W or Sheraton Grande?

I have to use two free weekend night award in Seoul this weekend(expire on Dec 19).
Unfortunately, Westin Chosun where I used to stay was sold out so free award is not available.
I got W in stead.
I did not like the location, but is is free anyway so I do not mind taking taxi.

However, I am thinking that W does not have lounge nor free breakfast for Platinum member, shall I change to Sheraton Grande which have lounge and breakfast.

I have stayed Sheraton Grande long time ago so I forgot how good/bad sheraton grande was, comparing to W.
Is their lounge/breakfast worth as the platinum member?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:40 am

Was at the Sheraton Grande recently. Newly renovated rooms are nice but way smaller compared to the W. Sorry am not able to comment on the lounge or breakfast.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Originally Posted by Tak
I have to use two free weekend night award in Seoul this weekend(expire on Dec 19).
Unfortunately, Westin Chosun where I used to stay was sold out so free award is not available.
I got W in stead.
I did not like the location, but is is free anyway so I do not mind taking taxi.

However, I am thinking that W does not have lounge nor free breakfast for Platinum member, shall I change to Sheraton Grande which have lounge and breakfast.

I have stayed Sheraton Grande long time ago so I forgot how good/bad sheraton grande was, comparing to W.
Is their lounge/breakfast worth as the platinum member?

Thanks in advance
Tak, I have stayed at both the Sheraton and the W on many occasions in the last few years. The W has no lounge and no breakfast. You will typically get a bottle of wine and some fancy chocolates waiting in your room. Upgrade is almost always to a Junior Suite (with a large round bed). The room is very large, but I do not like the layout, so I ask for a downgrade to a cool corner room.

The last few times I have stayed at the Sheraton, I have always been upgraded to a club family suite (has a queen with an adjacent single bed in the bedroom "area". The rooms have been completely renovated and I prefer the sheraton layout over the W layout.

The lounge for breakfast is pretty extensive for a lounge breakfast. Hot items, Asian style breakfast with western additions. More than enough to satisfy most appetites. I cannot comment on the evening lounge food as I do not think I was ever able to use the lounge in the evening.

You should try to the Sheraton. I prefer the rooms over the W. Except the W has better public facilities -- ie bar, fitness center, etc.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:14 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Thanks, both of you.

I just realized that W is no longer a participated hotel for the Sheraton Privilege Asia program(as of Dec 1).
So I can not cut the breakfast(two for one) cost anymore.
I wished I could use free nights for CAT 6 hotel, but CAT3 is still better than nothing.

I will try Sheraton.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
heading to Seoul next week and have a Westin Chosun room for 2 nights but may need a 3rd night. I'll hop somewhere else to try and take advantage of the stay 3, 1 free promo.

I'll provide a update on the Westin Chosun which appears to have completed it's renovation.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Walker Hill to Gimpo and Incheon

Hi All,

If one is having business meetings in the vicinity of Gimpo airport and also at Incheon airport, is Walker Hill at all convenient? Worse than the city center?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:22 am

Westin Chosun Seoul, Sheraton Incheon, Westin Chosun Busan

I had the fortune of stopping by Korea in the last few weeks and stayed at three of the Starwood properties there: Westin Chosun Seoul, Sheraton Incheon and the Westin Chosun Busan. I thought I'd share some comments.

Frankly, the Westin Chosun Seoul met or exceeded my every expectation with the staff being almost too courteous even for Korean standards. The breakfast buffet at the Aria at the lower level was beyond impressive for a hotel restaurant and made the stay most enjoyable. I strongly suggest Aria over the Executive lounge for breakfast, but it is rather expensive if not included with the room. Sushi Cho next to the lounge was also quite good for a sushi restaurant outside of Japan. Several locals told me that the Chosun and Shilla are the two finest hotels in Seoul, and I can't say I disagree.

The Sheraton Incheon was a very pleasant surprise. This was my first Sheraton stay outside of the US and was expecting the worst, but I think this property is on par with a category 4 if it weren't for the bed. Dining options are also limited, but that's to be expected for an airport hotel. I've been told that Sheraton properties in Asia are actually quite prestigious unlike those in the US.

The Westin Chosun Busan was a mixed experience. The location was fantastic, and some of the staff were very courteous. However, I found the service unacceptable when it came to addressing a problem. The hot water had cut off in the middle of a shower, and it took an hour to get the issue resolved despite several calls to the front desk. Also, the hotel is in dire need of renovation and, I feel, does not meet my expectations for a Westin.

I expect to stay at the W Walkerhill on my next trip and am already curious how that will go.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, AA ExecPlat
I enjoyed the W and stayed at the Sheraton. I went back and forth for about a month to rack up on last years stay 3 nights (or four.. can't remember) get one night free (cat 1-6). I used to hang upside down in the W elevators. They have rings dangling from the roof of every elevator (only when I was alone in the elevator). The restaurant (Tonic) was cool on making my custom vegan meals. I didn't like the sheraton staff. They were not very friendly. I think customer care means something different in Asia. Be aware there are dishonest korean taxi drivers. I used my ipad to GPS my destination and in more then 70% of the taxis I used during my work trip, they take an unnecessary route or straight out make a large loop before heading towards your destination.

Last edited by TheFlyingPapaya; Jun 8, 2011 at 11:29 am
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by TheFlyingPapaya
I enjoyed the W and stayed at the Sheraton. I went back and forth for about a month to rack up on last years stay 3 nights (or four.. can't remember) get one night free (cat 1-6). I used to hang upside down in the W elevators. They have rings dangling from the roof of every elevator (only when I was alone in the elevator). The restaurant (Tonic) was cool on making my custom vegan meals. I didn't like the sheraton staff. They were not very friendly. I think customer care means something different in Asia. Be aware there are dishonest korean taxi drivers. I used my ipad to GPS my destination and in more then 70% of the taxis I used during my work trip, they take an unnecessary route or straight out make a large loop before heading towards your destination.

I'm sure there are dishonest taxi drivers anywhere. I've NEVER met one in Seoul. I've certainly met some taxi drivers that knew better than I did about the best route between point A and B, which may not be obvious as there are always LOTS of things to consider while getting around Seoul - congestion, events, ability to turn left at certain intersections and at certain hours. I've also been to plenty of cities where driving the circumference of the city is better than crossing it on surface roads.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by percipio
Several locals told me that the Chosun and Shilla are the two finest hotels in Seoul, and I can't say I disagree.
Park Hyatt has joined the competition not too long ago. Apparently there are big incentives to those staff who are able to 'steal' guests from one of its competitors (i.e. from Shilla to Chosun, or from Chosun to Park Hyatt etc).

It's good to have competition... but I'm still of the view that Seoul does not have enough 5* properties, putting upward pressure on prices.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Hi All,

If one is having business meetings in the vicinity of Gimpo airport and also at Incheon airport, is Walker Hill at all convenient? Worse than the city center?

Thanks!
Very, very inconvenient.
If you must stay at a SPG location, either Westin Chosun or Sheraton Incheon
will minimize travel time compared to Sheraton or W at Walker Hill.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:27 pm

got a few nights coming up at Westin Chosun in Seoul.. just want to confirm if the renovations are done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.