Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Old Sep 25, 07, 5:07 pm

Starwood South Korea & DMZ tour

I will be in S.Korea from 28 - 30 Dec, with an early departure on 30th.

Searching through the various threads in this forum, I gathered I should go give Westin Chosun a try. Being a *wood newbie, I guess I need to stay at another property as back-to-back stay does not count.

My intention is to visit the DMZ on the 29 Dec. Which of the three *wood properties allow me to get to the DMZ relatively easily? Looking at SPG map, I think the W and Sheraton are nearer to DMZ but is it convenient to get to the DMZ from there?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 25, 07, 5:33 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SQFAN View Post
I will be in S.Korea from 28 - 30 Dec, with an early departure on 30th.

Searching through the various threads in this forum, I gathered I should go give Westin Chosun a try. Being a *wood newbie, I guess I need to stay at another property as back-to-back stay does not count.

My intention is to visit the DMZ on the 29 Dec. Which of the three *wood properties allow me to get to the DMZ relatively easily? Looking at SPG map, I think the W and Sheraton are nearer to DMZ but is it convenient to get to the DMZ from there?

Thanks in advance.
too bad you will miss a Korea Do: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673159

the location of your *W property is not really a concern as most tour companies (which I assume you are using as I understand tour groups get to places that the avg Joe can not) will pick you up at your hotel.

FWIW, on the first post in the thread I posted above, there is a link to the USO DMZ tour which upon my research seemed to be the premier tour to go on. The USO DMZ tour starts at Camp Kim in Seoul, they will send you a map and dress instructions as jeans are not allowed.

In the thread is also a link to a thread about food in Seoul.

Have fun,
Old Oct 8, 07, 8:29 pm
Suspended

I dont think the tour company will pick you up from your hotel.

I believe theres a tour that leaves from a hotel (Lotte ?) just behind the Westin Chosun but do check on their days of departure. I took one that departs from an office block 10-15min walk from the Westin.
Old Oct 9, 07, 6:24 am

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
I dont think the tour company will pick you up from your hotel.
I went back to look at what pre travel notes I had saved and can't find why I stated that a person would be picked up at their hotel, BUT the original point still stands, one gets better access with tour companies which all leave from Seoul, I wouldn't plan my trip around being closest to where these tour companies depart from as (depending upon time of day) one is probably a short cab/subway ride away from the departure points.
Old Oct 9, 07, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
The USO DMZ tour starts at Camp Kim in Seoul, they will send you a map and dress instructions as jeans are not allowed.
I absolutely KNEW that I had heard this information prior to our trip - at least now I know from WHENCE I heard it.
As Sweet Willie (and others) can now testify - jeans are IN FACT allowed on the USO tour. Note that the USO doesn't permit "clean bluejeans" combined with a tee-shirt with "objectionable" printing on it.

Best, Dave
Old Feb 21, 08, 12:31 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Transit between ICN and Starwood hotels in Seoul

Is any one of the 3 Starwood properties in Seoul significantly easier to reach from Incheon airport than the others? What transit time should I allow? And is a taxi the best option?
Old Feb 21, 08, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets View Post
Is any one of the 3 Starwood properties in Seoul significantly easier to reach from Incheon airport than the others? What transit time should I allow? And is a taxi the best option?
I can only speak for the Westin. There's a "limo-bus" network operated by Korean Air that has routes between ICN and the major hotels. I don't remember the route number for the Westin, but there are signs outside near the bus stops and there's an info desk in the terminal. It's a long ride between Incheon and Seoul, something around an hour. The cost is around $10 one way IIRC. A taxi will be faster but significantly more expensive. Traffic in Seoul can be terrible, so plan accordingly on your flight out of ICN. I would get departure time advice from the hotel based on your time/date/class of travel. But at a minimum, you should leave at least 3 hours before departure. I've made flights when leaving 2 hours before departure, but that was lucky. They could really use a rail connection between downtown and ICN.
Old Feb 21, 08, 1:12 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I can't add much more than I used the Korean Air limo bus to go to the W a few months ago, and it worked out well. The taxi would be a bit quicker since you don't have multiple stops, but it was going to be about 6x the cost of the bus. Traffic on the highway along the Han River can be horrible. I'd budget 2 hours travel time just in case.
Old Feb 21, 08, 3:40 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I too took the bus to the Westin Chosun...

...worked quite well took about 75 min. in morning rush hour.I reccommend it.
Old Feb 21, 08, 4:50 pm
DH

Originally Posted by norse_aztec View Post
I can only speak for the Westin. There's a "limo-bus" network operated by Korean Air that has routes between ICN and the major hotels. I don't remember the route number for the Westin, but there are signs outside near the bus stops and there's an info desk in the terminal. It's a long ride between Incheon and Seoul, something around an hour. The cost is around $10 one way IIRC. A taxi will be faster but significantly more expensive. Traffic in Seoul can be terrible, so plan accordingly on your flight out of ICN. I would get departure time advice from the hotel based on your time/date/class of travel. But at a minimum, you should leave at least 3 hours before departure. I've made flights when leaving 2 hours before departure, but that was lucky. They could really use a rail connection between downtown and ICN.
KAL limo-bus is the best option and it costs W14,000 (~$14.75).

http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd...aa_ia_limo.htm

http://www.kallimousine.com/eng/schedule_en.asp

The train service to Seoul downtown won't be ready till 2010. Currently the service stop at Gimpo Airport where you have to change to subway line (in order to get to the downtown).
Old Jul 9, 08, 12:06 am

I'm likely to be in Seoul next week. I'll be working at offices in the COEX center. The Sheraton WalkerHill is on the corporate list, but so is the COEX Intercontinental. Is the WalkerHill worth a stay or is it too far out of the way to justify. Fwiw, I am plat with SPG but have no status with InterContinental.
Old Jul 9, 08, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by michswiss View Post
I'm likely to be in Seoul next week. I'll be working at offices in the COEX center. The Sheraton WalkerHill is on the corporate list, but so is the COEX Intercontinental. Is the WalkerHill worth a stay or is it too far out of the way to justify. Fwiw, I am plat with SPG but have no status with InterContinental.
Well, it really depends on your status level with IC hotels or SPG hotels. If you are platinum with SPG, you will be well-taken care of @ Sheraton Walkerhill or W walkerhill (they are in the same complex). Walkerhill hotels run shuttle service to the subway line #2 (I think it's Gangbyun station) which you can take the same line to COEX (Samsung station). It should take about 20-30 minutes on subway and another 10 minutes for the shuttle ride. I think the shuttle runs regularly.

If you are IC RA member (Royal Ambassador), then I'd stay @ IC hotel near COEX or Grand IC Seoul.
Old Jul 9, 08, 8:00 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Originally Posted by michswiss View Post
if you don't need the starwood stay credit i would stay at the coex. you are kind of trapped at the walker hill as there is nothing walkable and you would save at least 1/2 hour each way on commuting. the downside is that the towers lounge is nice at the walker hill.
Old Jul 9, 08, 8:16 am

Programs: Platinum Ambassador, SPG Gold, Krisflyer, Accor A-Card Platinum, Hilton Honours Gold, QF Bronze
Westin Chosan, Busan

I'd really recommend this hotel if your travels take you to Busan.

The hotel has a great location overlooking Heundae(sp) beach and a wooded peninsular. The guest rooms are stylish and then hotel gym is large and well equipped. The Korean style bathhouse is also good. I really couldn't fault any aspect of my stay.

As a gold I was upgraded to the executive floor and there was no issue with 4pm late checkout even though my stay was on Korean new year.
Old May 31, 10, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by DH View Post
The train service to Seoul downtown won't be ready till 2010.
Will be in Seoul in late December 2010, anyone have any updates on whether there is train service from ICN to downton Seoul?

--

Search this Thread