FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/481758-starwood-hotels-seoul-korea-master-thread.html)

M.Leo Jan 13, 2004 4:38 pm

I just returned from a one-night stay at the Westin Chosun. I want to join the chorus of praise for this hotel.

As a gold, I was also upgraded to a premium room. Great view of the temple on the grounds. I found a very large and delicious asian pear waiting for me in a beautiful bowl on the coffee table, along with a personalized note card. Room was very plush -- it had, and I mean this honestly, the feeling of a small-scale Four Seasons room. The PC with high-speed internet access was great (as was in-room fax and printer). Very nice bath. Food was great -- both in restaurant and room service. Can't say enough good things about the place. All the staff were wonderful.

On the other hand, the next night I stayed at the Hyatt Regency. Nice public spaces, and good restaurants. Odd, out of the way location. The rooms are small and pretty sterile. I paid (no Hyatt status)a small amount to be ugraded to club level, and found the room was basically the same but had access to club -- which was just OK. Staff was barely pleasant -- the Westin staff was great.

One big plus for the Westin: the airport at Incheon is a loooong way out of town. I e-mailed the Westin before I left to arrange limo service. I was greeted right outside customs, handed a leather portfolio by a very nice young woman and led to my very nice car. They had my info in the folder, and all I needed to do was fill out a very brief card. I was already checked in -- keys were in the kit. Handed it to the doorman when we arrived and was up to my room directly from the car. THAT is fine service.

M.Leo

GlobeTrekker Jan 14, 2004 12:30 am

I stayed at the Westin Chosun last month. I agree that this is a great property. It is expensive, but my rate was cheaper than or comparable to other high-end hotels in Seoul. The rooms are very well appointed, newly remodeled, and the staff is one of the best I’ve seen anywhere. My room had a PC with free Internet access, a free cell phone (rental was free but there was a small charge for making/receiving calls, and you can even have calls forwarded to the cell phone), and a 50-inch plasma TV. The hotel apologized for not having any suite upgrades available, but I was more than happy with my room. They also include free bottles of drinking water, a full buffet breakfast in the lounge, and free access to the health club / spa. Additionally, the hotel is close to the subway station and right in the center of Seoul. If you want to take sightseeing tours, most companies make a stop at the Westin so the tour picks you up right at the door. As you can tell, I would definitely recommend this property!

stimpy Jan 14, 2004 2:08 am

How much was the limo service?

I'm staying at the Westin this spring for something like $145 per night, booked on the SPG website.

DLfan Jan 14, 2004 5:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
How much was the limo service?</font>
I've used the limo service to this hotel in the past and it is very convenient and most welcome after a long trans Pacific flight. When I used it (last summer), the price was around US$90.

[This message has been edited by DLfan (edited Jan 14, 2004).]

Swanhunter Jan 14, 2004 8:04 am

The limo service is fiarly expensive, though not much different in price than a cab and much more comfortable. They should also offer in-car check in, enabling you to go straight to your room. This is great for convenience, not so good if you want to ensure you have been upgraded to a suite.

gabbysz Jan 14, 2004 8:40 am

Does anyone know of the transit hotel in ICN is a Sheraton? I believe it is owned by the walker hill, but no mention on its website. Thanks!

hsyoo Jan 14, 2004 5:50 pm

The transit hotel in ICN is called Air Garden. It is not a "Starwood" property but Walkerhill (SK Group) property Hyatt Incheon recently opened. You can take shuttle bus to the Hyatt Incheon 14B at arrival level.

100,000miler Jan 19, 2004 6:31 am

Can anyone tell me how close any of the SPG hotels are to the COEX Conference Centre. I believe it is downtown, but someone above referred to it being on the south side of the river? Since I will be attending a conference at the COEX, I would prefer being close. The Intercontinental is right there and this is a possibility but I am a loyal SPG Plat.

Mileage Schemer Jan 19, 2004 7:04 am

The COEX is indeed south of the river. Considering distance and traffic, the Sheraton Walker Hill would be a bit more convenient getting to the COEX. The cab would probably only take 15-20 minutes. Last I remembered there was a shuttle bus from the Walker Hill that took you to Gangbyong Station on subway line 2 (I'm not 100% sure on this but I know there are 2 shuttles to 2 different subway stops). Samsung station is only 5 stops away from Gangbyon station. Total commute should be &lt;30 minutes. On the other hand the Westin Chosun is downtown and could take up to an hour by taxi during rush hour traffic. It is about a 40-45 minute subway ride away from Euljiro Il-ga station (line 2) which is fairly close to the hotel.

I personally think the Westin has more to offer as far as its location (also the gym at the Walker Hill is awful). Both hotels treat plats well though.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
Can anyone tell me how close any of the SPG hotels are to the COEX Conference Centre. I believe it is downtown, but someone above referred to it being on the south side of the river? Since I will be attending a conference at the COEX, I would prefer being close. The Intercontinental is right there and this is a possibility but I am a loyal SPG Plat. </font>

stimpy Mar 5, 2004 4:51 am

Just got back from 4 nights at the Westin. Fabulous hotel with the best amenities of any Westin or Sheraton I can think of. Great location too! We had some people at the nearby Lotte hotel which is famous in Korea. After they saw my room at the Chosun, they quickly switched!

monahos Mar 5, 2004 9:21 am

stimpy, glad you liked the Chosun, which has regained the upper hand in that area since its renovation.

Note there is quite a difference between the Lotte's standard rooms, which cater to Japanese on cheap weekend packages, and their nicer/larger tower rooms, which are nonetheless overpriced, somewhat tired, and lacking in technology (I recall seeing only ISDN+POTS in 2002).

Mileage Schemer Mar 9, 2004 8:42 am

When did the Chosun start using Bulgari products?! I've been staying there for the past year now and was pleasantly surprised this past weekend.

paulnagy Jun 10, 2004 9:23 pm

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Hello. I am Hilton Diamond and Starwood Platinum. I will be going to Seoul for three nights July 29-Aug 1. I have done a search and read numerous threads but would like a few up to date opinions on where a tourist should stay in Seoul. I do not want to spend more than $200 USD per night and my check of the Grand Hilton, Millenium Hilton and the Westin Chosun all come back within this range. Also, I will be doing regular tourist stuff, and the things most important to me are: accessibility to public & private transportation (will not be renting a car) an area where I can walk around freely and have shops, restaurants, bars, etc. at my disposal, a tourist friendly area, somewhat close to museums and historic sites. Also, if anyone can compare between the different brands, this would be extremely helpful!

Thank you, much appreciated!!

SanDiego1K Jun 11, 2004 9:31 pm

Stay at the Westin Chosun. It has the premier location in Seoul.

I stayed at the Grand Hilton, which is a beautiful hotel. However, given your criteria, the Chosun would be a better choice. Sightseeing tours leave from it, you can walk to shopping and restaurants, and it is walking distance from the Grand Palace.

SeoulMan Jun 11, 2004 10:24 pm

If you'd like to be able to walk out the front door and stroll to shopping, restaurants, historical sights, and the subway, the only Lux Class hotel to offer this possibility is the Westin. It also has a free shuttle to Itaewon, the US military and other foreigners' "shopping/entertainment" area.