FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/481758-starwood-hotels-seoul-korea-master-thread.html)

jaejaez Jul 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 28621383)
yeah but there's tons of food to eat in Myeongdong and City Hall too. I find Times Square food choices (just a lot of chains) to be pretty mediocre.

As a caring fellow FT member from Seoul, I would strongly advise against dining within the Myongdong tourist catchment area.

Cityhall is OK though.

Aventine Jul 30, 2017 6:40 am

Originally Posted by atlion25 (Post 28624024)
There are also two large malls within walking distance of the Aloft

It's also more walkable to tourist spots.

puchong Aug 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Nest Hotel, Incheon

I have not stayed at Design Hotels before, but the Nest Hotel in Incheon is claiming that SPG Platinum members are not entitled to complimentary breakfast. I was under the impression that with Design Hotels it is either breakfast or the welcome bobus points. Am I mistaken?

Aventine Aug 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 28733005)
I have not stayed at Design Hotels before, but the Nest Hotel in Incheon is claiming that SPG Platinum members are not entitled to complimentary breakfast. I was under the impression that with Design Hotels it is either breakfast or the welcome bobus points. Am I mistaken?

Not entitled at their properties unless it's included in your rate. It's a very strange "partnership" between Design hotels and SPG.

MSPeconomist Aug 24, 2017 9:59 pm

If you want to stay at a Design Hotel, be sure to compare the rates and benefits from booking through SPG versus the hotel or general Design Hotel website. You might find rates with breakfast that are cheaper than the SPG rates, but of course don't count for points/nights/stay credit.

Some Design Hotels are in FHR, Virtuoso, Grand Luxury Hotels, etc., so be sure to consider their rates and benefits in your comparison.

IME you're entitled to practically nothing (but the night/stay credit might be extremely valuable to some folks), but some Design Hotels do go above and beyond. In Asia, however, I would generally expect them to strictly follow the rules in a polite and even somewhat gracious way.

acrophobia Apr 27, 2018 2:47 pm

In light of the Marriott merger, I’d appreciate advice on the best option for a one-week leisure stay in Seoul for two adults and a 3-year old, across the legacy MR and SPG portfolios. Our priorities are seeing the main sights, taking in lots of contemporary art galleries and museums, and eating really good food.

In case it is relevant, I will be PPE under the new status system, have a bunch of SNAs, and a lot of points that I wouldn’t mind using.

Thanks in advance.

VoiD May 4, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by acrophobia (Post 29691046)
In light of the Marriott merger, I’d appreciate advice on the best option for a one-week leisure stay in Seoul for two adults and a 3-year old, across the legacy MR and SPG portfolios. Our priorities are seeing the main sights, taking in lots of contemporary art galleries and museums, and eating really good food.

In case it is relevant, I will be PPE under the new status system, have a bunch of SNAs, and a lot of points that I wouldn’t mind using.

Thanks in advance.

westin chosun is a solid choice.

omghaxcode Jun 7, 2018 4:07 pm

4 night stay June 28-July 2. My wife and I have never been to Seoul. Westin is $208 and the Aloft Myeongdong is way cheaper at $132... What are the primary differences between properties? I'm SPG Plat and will be doing mainly sight seeing and eating. I see these are the 2 properties that are getting the best reviews recently.

IluvSQ Jun 8, 2018 6:52 am

Westin is a full service luxury hotel, where you will have a good chance of being upgraded to a suite. As a plat , you will have lounge access that includes
breakfast in the main buffet restaurant in the basement, or in the lounge. Evening canapes in the lounge can be a full dinner. If it is your first time in Seoul,
you will probably find the concierge service invaluable.

Aloft, as you know, is a bare-bones brand.

SHLTP Jul 11, 2018 5:31 pm

I have often stayed at Westin Chosun and have never been upgraded to a suite, but I find it getting old. It has a great location. I doubt I will stay there much again as it is just not worth the price.

D Cube has a fabulous breakfast and nice lounge not a great location

I am currently at Aloft (first time ever at this brand) and absolutely love the value. This will be my new go to in Seoul unless I am looking for luxury/ spend a lot of time in room or have a long trip

Unbelievably good location. Minutes from the main touristy area yet quiet.

Rooms are nice 3-4 star. I found sheets a litte rough. Bliss products come from dispensers .

Buffet breakfast for plats as amenity is surprisingly good. FD told me it was continental but it is not. It is a full breakfast w made to order onelettes.

Gym was tiny. Only a 20kg and 10kg dumbell set and running equipment. Also had a dip and weird pull up machine( weird bar at top for hand placement). Gym was only part I do not like and would stop me from staying here longer term as I need a good gym .but for 3 nights it is fine

Overall great value

captain_starwood Jul 12, 2018 5:03 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP (Post 29964079)
I have often stayed at Westin Chosun and have never been upgraded to a suite, but I find it getting old. It has a great location. I doubt I will stay there much again as it is just not worth the price.

D Cube has a fabulous breakfast and nice lounge not a great location

I am currently at Aloft (first time ever at this brand) and absolutely love the value. This will be my new go to in Seoul unless I am looking for luxury/ spend a lot of time in room or have a long trip

Unbelievably good location. Minutes from the main touristy area yet quiet.

Rooms are nice 3-4 star. I found sheets a litte rough. Bliss products come from dispensers .

Buffet breakfast for plats as amenity is surprisingly good. FD told me it was continental but it is not. It is a full breakfast w made to order onelettes.

Gym was tiny. Only a 20kg and 10kg dumbell set and running equipment. Also had a dip and weird pull up machine( weird bar at top for hand placement). Gym was only part I do not like and would stop me from staying here longer term as I need a good gym .but for 3 nights it is fine

Overall great value

Increasingly, the feedback seems to favor the Aloft of the Westin Chosun, for the reasons you detail. I can imagine the sheets at the Westin would probably be a higher thread count, though our suite had an amazing Japanese toilet.

We thought breakfast buffet was quite good, as well.

Didn't try the gym. Otherwise Aloft seems like the go-to, until it gets priced up from too many FT patrons.