Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Old Aug 17, 16, 3:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Well at this point I don't even have a clue where and when my meetings will take place, but as it is my first visit to Seoul I expect I will prefer to eat out rather than staying in.

Looking at the rates I notice Westin is slightly more expensive than all the other Starwood properties in Seoul, is this rate based on location only? or is the service also better at Westin?

How inconvenient is the location of d-cube if I want to go eat out?
Old Aug 17, 16, 11:29 pm

Yes Westin is more expensive for its location (it is the first international hotel to be built in South Korea – think about that) you literally cannot get any more central to the ‘core’ of Seoul than the Westin. Myeong dong is across the street and behind the hotel is the Seoul city hall. You get the idea.

But I would say the service is also a notch above the others like the D Cube not necessarily for the ‘warmth’ or the ‘friendliness’ but for the efficiency. They have a longer history and hence experience with dealing with business travelers and therefore are naturally more apt at getting things done quickly and correctly (let me know if you want my personal examples..). I would say the newer hotels are friendlier and are more willing to bend backwards to your requests but that doesn’t always translate to getting work-related things done efficiently, in my opinion. The D Cube, for example, took almost a full day to come up with recommendations for BBQ restaurants where I could take my muslim guests to…
Old Aug 18, 16, 6:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Originally Posted by jaejaez View Post
Yes Westin is more expensive for its location (it is the first international hotel to be built in South Korea – think about that) you literally cannot get any more central to the ‘core’ of Seoul than the Westin. Myeong dong is across the street and behind the hotel is the Seoul city hall. You get the idea.

But I would say the service is also a notch above the others like the D Cube not necessarily for the ‘warmth’ or the ‘friendliness’ but for the efficiency. They have a longer history and hence experience with dealing with business travelers and therefore are naturally more apt at getting things done quickly and correctly (let me know if you want my personal examples..). I would say the newer hotels are friendlier and are more willing to bend backwards to your requests but that doesn’t always translate to getting work-related things done efficiently, in my opinion. The D Cube, for example, took almost a full day to come up with recommendations for BBQ restaurants where I could take my muslim guests to…
OK, sold! thanks

Will write my report in a bit more than a month.
I have Meridien Saigon and Sheraton casablanca comming up first.
Old Aug 18, 16, 7:24 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Remcod View Post

How inconvenient is the location of d-cube if I want to go eat out?
D-Cubed is on top of a department store/shopping mall; there are some
decent restaurants in the department store.
The mall has some fast food outlets such as MacD's.
As well, right across the street from the hotel is a typical Korean restauarant/bar complex; dozens of typical small Korean places to eat.
Old Aug 25, 16, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
So after perusing this thread it seems obvious westin Chosun has best location for tourists and business people. But I notice there is a 4P nearby in Namsan and it's about 1/2 the price. Any reason not to stay here?

Also - any luck with SNA's at the Westin?
Old Aug 26, 16, 5:26 am

I just stayed 9 nights at the Sheraton Seoul Palace. Rooms are OK. no place to put luggage. The lounge food is pretty good. About 5 minute walk from subway.
Old Oct 31, 16, 6:43 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Plat100/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I'm going to Seoul this week for a business trip. My wife and two kids, 2 and 4 years old, are coming along.

I'm holding two reservations: A "business deluxe" room at the Westin Chosun and a "studio suite" at the W. I'm tempted to go with the W since I've heard great things about the design. I'm Platinum. The SNAs haven't cleared at the Westin.

I asked my wife and she told me to go with the better hotel. I'm tempted to go with the W. Which one would you choose?
Old Oct 31, 16, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn View Post
I'm going to Seoul this week for a business trip. My wife and two kids, 2 and 4 years old, are coming along.

I'm holding two reservations: A "business deluxe" room at the Westin Chosun and a "studio suite" at the W. I'm tempted to go with the W since I've heard great things about the design. I'm Platinum. The SNAs haven't cleared at the Westin.

I asked my wife and she told me to go with the better hotel. I'm tempted to go with the W. Which one would you choose?
The W hotel is near the shopping district of Seoul. The Westin is near the many palaces and touristic sights of Seoul. Which area do you prefer?

Personally I prefer the Westin and it's locale. The rooms were older but nice and I dislike loft style rooms like the W (no bathroom privacy). And the club lounge and breakfast for Plats is fantastic at the Westin.
Old Nov 3, 16, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Plat100/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by singtx View Post
Something new the Westin Chosun offers families unable to access the lounge due to age of kids...

1) go to the lounge and ask for the lobby bar pass for families
2) go to lobby bar and present card
3) unlimited wine and beer and a three tiered platter with sandwiches, sweets, nuts, fruit, etc

We stay here often during the weekends... around 1.5 months ago this was offered and we've taken advantage ever since then, especially since our 2 year old requires a break around that time period before another stretch out and about.

Be sure to inquire when checking in...it was a great perk and the place was empty during that time period...also the ladies working there are always very kind to our son.
Is the lobby bar pass still offered at the Westin Chosun?

I checked in yesterday. Neither the front desk, nor the lounge knew of this.
Old Nov 3, 16, 10:14 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
The W hotel is near the shopping district of Seoul. The Westin is near the many palaces and touristic sights of Seoul. Which area do you prefer?

Personally I prefer the Westin and it's locale. The rooms were older but nice and I dislike loft style rooms like the W (no bathroom privacy). And the club lounge and breakfast for Plats is fantastic at the Westin.
Which shopping district is the W near ? Walker Hill is long way from anywhere !
Old Nov 3, 16, 10:32 pm

only Westin Chosun and Four Points by Sheraton Namsan are nearby to the shopping districts and tourist attractions.

FP offers free shuttle bus to most of the tourist spots which will be quite useful for guests.
http://www.fourpointsseoulnamsan.com/en/shuttlebus
Old Nov 16, 16, 3:41 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Is the lobby bar pass still offered at the Westin Chosun?

I checked in yesterday. Neither the front desk, nor the lounge knew of this.
So no lounge pass? Im visiting for Christmas with my 2 year old and might choose a different hotel if no lounge option.
Old Nov 16, 16, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by calvinoeh View Post
So no lounge pass? Im visiting for Christmas with my 2 year old and might choose a different hotel if no lounge option.
Nope, no lounge pass. They also made us pay for 1 breakfast, since our room was booked for 2 adults and 1 child and we were 2 adults and 2 children. That's the first time we have ever paid for the kids' breakfast.

Problem is you cannot book a room for 2 adults and 2 children, since your only option becomes the presidential suite...
Old Nov 17, 16, 7:31 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Nope, no lounge pass. They also made us pay for 1 breakfast, since our room was booked for 2 adults and 1 child and we were 2 adults and 2 children. That's the first time we have ever paid for the kids' breakfast.

Problem is you cannot book a room for 2 adults and 2 children, since your only option becomes the presidential suite...
That's horrible service. Understand the lounge restrictions but making you pay for the kids... ouch..
Old Nov 17, 16, 4:52 pm
DH

Originally Posted by calvinoeh View Post
That's horrible service. Understand the lounge restrictions but making you pay for the kids... ouch..
YMMV, some locations limits the lounge access/breakfast benefit to 2 people and I had pay for my children's breakfast. Some hotels are more generous than others. Secondly, IIRC Westin Chosun didn't allow children to its lounge under 16?.

Search this Thread