Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Old Feb 29, 16, 10:11 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AUH
Posts: 7,347
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Westin Chosun (spelling?).
Correct, on both counts
stargold is offline  
Old Feb 29, 16, 5:01 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DC and Texas
Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Posts: 543
Originally Posted by geilux View Post
3 days short stopover in Seoul this coming August.
2 adults and 1 child (12 Y old) - Leisure, not business

Any suggestion for best SPG in town for location ?
Something new the Westin Chosun offers families unable to access the lounge due to age of kids...

1) go to the lounge and ask for the lobby bar pass for families
2) go to lobby bar and present card
3) unlimited wine and beer and a three tiered platter with sandwiches, sweets, nuts, fruit, etc

We stay here often during the weekends... around 1.5 months ago this was offered and we've taken advantage ever since then, especially since our 2 year old requires a break around that time period before another stretch out and about.

Be sure to inquire when checking in...it was a great perk and the place was empty during that time period...also the ladies working there are always very kind to our son.

Last edited by singtx; Mar 1, 16 at 8:52 pm
singtx is offline  
Old Mar 1, 16, 1:40 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,741
Originally Posted by singtx View Post
Something new they offer families unable to access the lounge due to age of kids...

1) go to the lounge and ask for the lobby bar pass for families

Sorry, which hotel is this for?
travelswithmyself is offline  
Old Mar 1, 16, 2:58 am
  #154  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DC and Texas
Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Posts: 543
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself View Post
Sorry, which hotel is this for?
Westin Chosun. fixed post to include name of hotel
singtx is offline  
Old Mar 1, 16, 5:18 am
  #155  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: LUX
Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, HH SILVER, SPG LT PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 833
Originally Posted by singtx View Post
Something new the Westin Chosun offers families unable to access the lounge due to age of kids...

1) go to the lounge and ask for the lobby bar pass for families
2) go to lounge and present the card
3) unlimited wine and beer and a three tiered platter with sandwiches, sweets, nuts, fruit, etc
Well noted, thanks for your assistance
geilux is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 2:20 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SFO/SEA
Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Posts: 3,270
I realize the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam Hotel isn't open yet but any idea how it compares location-wise for a pleasure/tourist trip (first time visitors - 3 day stopover en route to Myanmar) to the D-Cube or Westin?

I would prefer the D-Cube or potentially this new hotel over the Westin due to the points difference for my visit -- these are 7K and 10k per night vs the Westin at 16K/night. Aloft Gangnam is also available for 7K

Or asked another way, what are the next best options for a tourist to stay if we were to take the Westin out of the equation due to points cost?
brosnan6 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 10:48 pm
  #157  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,405
Start by looking at the subwway map. If the hotel is located very close to a subway station, especially if you can get to the tourist areas without changing subway lines, the hotel could work very well, although IMO D-Cube is too far/too long of a ride to do often.

Also IMO parts of Gangnam are interesting for walking, generally those areas close to the river and not back from CODEX, although they're not on the top of lists of tourist attractions.

A lot depends on how long you will be in Seoul.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 18, 16, 11:09 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SIN
Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
I realize the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam Hotel isn't open yet but any idea how it compares location-wise for a pleasure/tourist trip (first time visitors - 3 day stopover en route to Myanmar) to the D-Cube or Westin?

I would prefer the D-Cube or potentially this new hotel over the Westin due to the points difference for my visit -- these are 7K and 10k per night vs the Westin at 16K/night. Aloft Gangnam is also available for 7K

Or asked another way, what are the next best options for a tourist to stay if we were to take the Westin out of the equation due to points cost?
I'm a Korean who actually used to live around the Palace hotel area.

The palace hotel is a 5 minute walk to Metro line 3, 7, and 9. These are valuable because the Metro line 3 goes north to south, while 7 and 9 go east to west.

You are also 1 stop away from the transfer station to Metro line 2, which circles around Seoul in a loop.

Taking line 3, you will get to traditional places like Gyeongbok-palace in about 30 minutes by metro, and having such a broad range of lines to take will help you get around.

But note that there is not much around the hotel to enjoy, you will have to take the metro to get to places that are sought after.
meraki1990 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 16, 4:23 am
  #159  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: HKG/SIN
Programs: SQ Silver | IHG Pt Amb | SPG Ti/LTG | HH Gold | GC Jade
Posts: 543
Stayed last at both D Cube and Westin a month ago. This is my take:

D Cube is a distance away from the city centre but not a problem for me to travel on a daily basis.
Westin is near to almost everything but is busy and quite crowded.

In terms of rooms (suites) I much preferred D Cube - much better furnished simply because it is much newer.

Service standards for both hotels are very good, Westin slightly more efficient while D Cube is slightly warmer.
LuisHK is offline  
Old Jun 21, 16, 10:01 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BKK & Seat 2A
Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Posts: 9,383
The new NEST Design Hotel offers a shuttle from Incheon Airport as well as the corner of Grand Hyatt Incheon (old tower) where people can get off to visit the mall/e-mart.

Hotel itself is fine, interesting and comfortable rooms. Small though. Prices for any type of dining are outrageous. The rate itself was cheap though, less than 70$ tax incl.
skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Jun 21, 16, 3:29 pm
  #161  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,673
Originally Posted by meraki1990 View Post
I'm a Korean who actually used to live around the Palace hotel area.

The palace hotel is a 5 minute walk to Metro line 3, 7, and 9. These are valuable because the Metro line 3 goes north to south, while 7 and 9 go east to west.

You are also 1 stop away from the transfer station to Metro line 2, which circles around Seoul in a loop.

Taking line 3, you will get to traditional places like Gyeongbok-palace in about 30 minutes by metro, and having such a broad range of lines to take will help you get around.

But note that there is not much around the hotel to enjoy, you will have to take the metro to get to places that are sought after.
I stayed at the JW Marriott on my first visit to Seoul (which is very close to the Palace hotel), and agree with this. I found it easy to get around from the Express Bus Terminal, but the immediate area was a bit bland in terms of things to do or obvious tourist attractions.

That said, my go-to now (stayed there on each of my last two visits to Seoul) is the Sheraton D-Cube. One of the best Sheratons anywhere in my opinion. Being right near a station for Lines 1 and 2 makes it quick enough to most places for me. And the service has always been fantastic there for me.
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 3:56 pm
  #162  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD / TYO
Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
I realize the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam Hotel isn't open yet but any idea how it compares location-wise for a pleasure/tourist trip (first time visitors - 3 day stopover en route to Myanmar) to the D-Cube or Westin?

I would prefer the D-Cube or potentially this new hotel over the Westin due to the points difference for my visit -- these are 7K and 10k per night vs the Westin at 16K/night. Aloft Gangnam is also available for 7K

Or asked another way, what are the next best options for a tourist to stay if we were to take the Westin out of the equation due to points cost?
Thanks for this. Ive got a two night stay coming up 1 week after opening, so will post a review on this property.

Cancelled a reservation at the reportedly amazing Park Hyatt... so hopefully this Sheraton doesnt disappoint!
OriginalName is offline  
Old Aug 16, 16, 4:18 am
  #163  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Belgium
Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Posts: 87
I am travelling to Seoul for the first time end of September.
Was impressed when I searched in the SPG by the number of SPG properties in Seoul, but how to decide which property to book...

I am going for business and will have meetings all over Seoul, so a central location would be convenient.
As I will be all by myself it would be convenient not to have to travel too much in the evenings when I want to go and have dinner.

I am SPG Plat, so off course i like the recognition, but location is also very important.
From what I've read in this thread, it seems the Westin seems to be the best option.
I had a look at their prices and their pictures and I thought it might be a bit overpriced compared with other hotels in Seoul.

What would you recommend for me to stay?
Remcod is offline  
Old Aug 16, 16, 7:46 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,280
Originally Posted by Remcod View Post
I am travelling to Seoul for the first time end of September.
Was impressed when I searched in the SPG by the number of SPG properties in Seoul, but how to decide which property to book...

I am going for business and will have meetings all over Seoul, so a central location would be convenient.
As I will be all by myself it would be convenient not to have to travel too much in the evenings when I want to go and have dinner.

I am SPG Plat, so off course i like the recognition, but location is also very important.
From what I've read in this thread, it seems the Westin seems to be the best option.
I had a look at their prices and their pictures and I thought it might be a bit overpriced compared with other hotels in Seoul.

What would you recommend for me to stay?
For central business district, I usually prefer Westin Chosun ( if on north side of the river) or Grand Intercontinental( in in Gang-Nam area).
The Sheraton Walker Hill and W are too out of the way for business.
Sheraton D-Cubed is quite far west, and is fine if you are travelling a lot
by subway and doing tourist things; but a little inconvenient otherwise.
No comment on the newer Seoul additions as I have not stayed in any of them.
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Aug 16, 16, 6:59 pm
  #165  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,405
If you'll be there for some time for business, it can be very nice to have lounge access as a convenient way of avoiding a big late dinner every night, although of course you might have some business dinners or evenings out drinking with clients/colleagues during your stay.
MSPeconomist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread