Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the Minneapolis-area (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the Minneapolis-area (General Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:46 pm

What about that new Delta by Marriott in Northeast Minneapolis, not too far from St.Paul. I haven't stayed there but thought the location was interesting.

Last edited by Leisuremiles; Jan 3, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
What about that new Delta by Marriott in Northeast Minneapolis, not too far from St.Paul. I haven't stayed there but thought the location was interesting.
I don't know this one. IMO northeast Minneapolis can be either a marginal neighborhood or an up and coming area that's being gentrified with artists' studios and micro breweries. However, I suspect that this isn't the area, and northeast Mpls here really refers to a not very nice or interesting suburban area. Also, "northeast" is hardly between Mpls and St Paul. Could this be the place on Industrial Blvd that once was a Radisson?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rkt10
I had hoped to use award points for my own reservation. Being retired imposes such considerations on decisions, you see. And my points are with Marriott (well, SPG initially). Besides, I have Gold status, which is useful. So I figured I'd start there. However, I took a look at the other properties you mentioned, and the St. Paul Hotel is actually quite pretty. Right up my alley. We'll see. I've sent one of my brothers some links to see what he thinks.
St Paul Hotel has a good restaurant (I think there's also a less formal cafe but I know nothing about their bar) and the new HP in St Paul is great and has a very nice huge lobby area that's divided into separate conversation areas with some divided off by partial walls or partitions of some sort. The bar area itself is small with maybe a half dozen bar stools, but you'd want to take your drink into one of these very inviting and comfy seating areas.

W has the usual living room concept for the lobby, a pretty big high counter with bar stools (not good for conversation) in its (expensive of course) steak restaurant, and a small but popular (and noisy) historic bar on the top floor, in the former office of the company's president from the Foshay days.

Westin downtown has almost no lobby, just a couple chairs by the front desk and an open business center there with one or two desktops and a printer. It's restaurant BANK is very good and has a nice sophisticated (open plan) bar scene, including some private rooms of various sizes, some furnished with an executive boardroom table for dining and some that remind me of the private rooms in Asian karaoke bars.

Ivy has a large and very pleasant lobby that was recently renovated, very sophisticated with lots of ivory and comfy but stylish furniture arranged in lots of conversational groupings, where I think some of the smaller chairs might be able to be moved for a larger group. There's a good bar with a good bar menu and a redone Italian restaurant concept that I haven't tried yet, but I do know that they do a southern Italian fixed price dinner on Sunday night (which doesn't appeal to me). The Ivy has a small outdoor patio. Their specialty suites are quirky but nice and would be suitable for hosting about four couples.

LM has redone its restaurant too so I can't say much about it, but there's a large gated patio area (sometimes with F&B service) with a fire pit (and IIRC smoking allowed there). Their luxury and specialty suites could be used to host a group of about four couples, but the property has very strict noise and occupancy rules so this might not be allowed. Unlike what I think would happen at the W, they simply do not permit young people to have rowdy parties here. [I think the Ivy would not permit it either, but the LM makes the rules very clear and says that if they do a service recovery gesture for another guest over noise or inconvenience caused by you or your guests, the cost will be billed to your room.

BTW, the corner one bedroom suites on every floor of Westin Edina Galleria are huge, with an entryway, separate large powder room, dining table for six, and a large living room with a big sofa and a couple soft chairs. It has a pretty normal lobby between the front desk and bar/restaurant (McCormick and Schmicks) but then some normally very quiet soft seating areas (sofa or two and a couple chairs) in the huge pre-function area as you walk toward the attached parking garage and (upscale) shopping mall, which has about a half dozen restaurants and bars at various styles and price points.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Couldn't find any discussion of the Emery on here; any thoughts on the Emery v. the Elliott Park? I know only the former has a lounge.
Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Couldn't find any discussion of the Emery on here; any thoughts on the Emery v. the Elliott Park? I know only the former has a lounge.
Thanks!
Unfortunately just learned that as of January 1 the Emery got rid of its lounge.
jchiguy1 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:05 am

Unfortunately just learned that as of January 1 the Emery got rid of its lounge.
Further update: breakfast for Platinums/Titanium's a at the Emery is a $14 credit. That covers most of the entrees Unfortunately coffee is $4, so it only covers the "continental" or a breakfast sandwich and coffee. My omelet sans toast and coffee cost me $5 before tip. There is no buffet. It's really disappointing that the property says it is offering 750 points or breakfast to make up for the sudden lounge closure, when those are the required benefits and *supplement* lounge access. A case of being bonvoyed.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Further update: breakfast for Platinums/Titanium's a at the Emery is a $14 credit. That covers most of the entrees Unfortunately coffee is $4, so it only covers the "continental" or a breakfast sandwich and coffee. My omelet sans toast and coffee cost me $5 before tip. There is no buffet. It's really disappointing that the property says it is offering 750 points or breakfast to make up for the sudden lounge closure, when those are the required benefits and *supplement* lounge access. A case of being bonvoyed.
I'm staying there next week and wanted to confirm that a full paid breakfast is not offered. The benefit (below) says breakfast in the restaurant, but I guess the hotel can cap the amount. If I took the separate $10 F&B credit as an arrival gift, I suppose that would that be $24 toward breakfast each day, which might cover a full breakfast.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I'm staying there next week and wanted to confirm that a full paid breakfast is not offered. The benefit (below) says breakfast in the restaurant, but I guess the hotel can cap the amount. If I took the separate $10 F&B credit as an arrival gift, would that be $24 toward breakfast each day?
The hotel is only required to provide continental breakfast, which is $14 for cereal toast juice and coffee at this hotel, which is how they set the amount. I was not offered the welcome amenity and had to follow up after stay (should have enforced the guarantee). But I don't see why you couldn't apply the $10 f&b to cover any excess restaurant charges. Note the welcome amenity is $10 per stay, though, not per day.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:44 pm

The hotel is only required to provide continental breakfast, which is $14 for cereal toast juice and coffee at this hotel, which is how they set the amount. I was not offered the welcome amenity and had to follow up after stay (should have enforced the guarantee). But I don't see why you couldn't apply the $10 f&b to cover any excess restaurant charges. Note the welcome amenity is $10 per stay, though, not per day.
Agreed about the $10 (per stay). Then it would be like $5 + $14/day on a two day stay.

I once went back to the counter on another trip and tried to claim they hadn't offered a welcome gift. The agent said I showed that I usually preferred the 1000 points, so that's what they put in the system, which they claimed satisfied the requirement.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:52 pm

Agreed about the $10 (per stay). Then it would be like $5 + $14/day on a two day stay.

I once went back to the counter on another trip and tried to claim they hadn't offered a welcome gift. The agent said I showed that I usually preferred the 1000 points, so that's what they put in the system, which they claimed satisfied the requirement.
Yeah in this case they didn't do that, points were deposited after I mentioned it in the after stay survey
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:09 am

Stayed at the Emery this past week and would consider it just okay. Very attractive lobby, adequate fitness center, nice bar, but my personal experience wasn't great.

Losing the Lounge is a big loss. The breakfast menu is very limited. I requested an omelette and was told they couldn't do it, and I needed to order what was on the menu. Closest to an omelette was an egg white frittata with kale, which is not to everyone's taste. Then the waitress had a difficult time figuring out how to apply my "breakfast coupon" which was worth $12.00, not enough to cover a full breakfast. It was wrong on the bill and to fix it they removed the charge and added the correct amount back as a mini-bar charge.

I used an SNA to upgrade to a suite. They had a choice of a studio suite or a 1BR suite. I chose the latter (the best offered other than Presidential Suite) and was surprised how small it was (looked very close to a typical Embassy Suites room. Maybe the fact it had a door between the bedroom and the small sitting area (with sleeper sofa) made it a 1BR suite. Also these rooms are on the 2nd floor, which presented me with a nice view of the roof (photo below), which also lessened the suite experience.

Additionally, there is no Business Center. If you need to print a document, you have to email it to the front desk. Fine for boarding passes, but no so much for confidential business documents.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Stayed at the Emery this past week and would consider it just okay. Very attractive lobby, adequate fitness center, nice bar, but my personal experience wasn't great.

Losing the Lounge is a big loss. The breakfast menu is very limited. I requested an omelette and was told they couldn't do it, and I needed to order what was on the menu. Closest to an omelette was an egg white frittata with kale, which is not to everyone's taste. Then the waitress had a difficult time figuring out how to apply my "breakfast coupon" which was worth $12.00, not enough to cover a full breakfast. It was wrong on the bill and to fix it they removed the charge and added the correct amount back as a mini-bar charge.

I used an SNA to upgrade to a suite. They had a choice of a studio suite or a 1BR suite. I chose the latter (the best offered other than Presidential Suite) and was surprised how small it was (looked very close to a typical Embassy Suites room. Maybe the fact it had a door between the bedroom and the small sitting area (with sleeper sofa) made it a 1BR suite. Also these rooms are on the 2nd floor, which presented me with a nice view of the roof (photo below), which also lessened the suite experience.

Additionally, there is no Business Center. If you need to print a document, you have to email it to the front desk. Fine for boarding passes, but no so much for confidential business documents.
Wow. That's a terrible view.

David
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:50 am

FYI, the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown has left Marriott and closed. The owner has told local media he intends to reflag and reopen. It's currently being used as a homeless shelter.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by James Luckard
FYI, the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown has left Marriott and closed. The owner has told local media he intends to reflag and reopen. It's currently being used as a homeless shelter.
I just saw this yesterday and today in the local media and tried digging a bit. The last TA review I can find is for an April 2020 stay and the Marriott/Bonvoy links are down, but major OLTAs are showing rates and availability, so I suspect it would be possible to book this place by mistake. The "owner" is said to be Jay Patel but Ryan (which owns and operated Midtown Global Market next to the hotel) is said to be the "landlord". Pictures seem to show the "Sheraton" letters were removed from the building some time ago, but you can still clearly read the word.

Location is Chicago and Lake, about eight blocks from where George Floyd was killed by the cop(s) and where the streets are blocked for a memorial, at Chicago and 38th. The police station that was burned to the ground is a couple miles away on Lake Street. Midtown Global Market was damaged/vandalized/looted during the riots, but I didn't notice any damage in current photos and videos of the hotel.

For the last two weeks, the property has been known as "sanctuary hotel" and has housed over two hundred (IIRC the hotel has about 140 rooms and is about six stories high, formerly with a club lounge on the top floor, a couple unimpressive small one bedroom suites, a restaurant and bar off of the lobby, and a too small paid/gated surface parking lot---there probably was a health club but no pool) protestors and homeless people after the riots here. Yesterday there was apparently a fire alarm pulled when one of the current residents experienced a drug overdose and then everyone was given an evacuation notice. Some people are refusing to leave, saying that they have nowhere to go, while tents and sleeping bags are being given out. There's a homeless encampment nearby.
Old May 29, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Stayed at the full service Marriott at MSP for the weekend. That place easily must be 50 years old. Nothing outstanding but it needs to be leveled and modernized desperately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.