Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Has left Marriott] Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Has left Marriott] Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:10 am
Suspended

we just spent a very quick one night at this hotel. booked with C&P and were upgraded to a river view room that is much larger than the city view side rooms.
room was very nice, clean, well appointed. lounge was not huge but it was very nice, good breakfast, and the guy working there couldn't have been nicer.
i didn't like being forced to use valet parking though. there appeared to be no self-parking. it isn't the cost since very often valet is only a couple of bucks more than self but i just prefer the simplicity of self parking and i don't mind walking. i travel with a carry-on sized bag with wheels so that isn't a problem either.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:48 pm

any updates on this property? Plat breakfast vs AAA breakfast? How's the lounge lately? thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AC MM, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Anyone stay there lately?

Is it a safe walk back from the St Pete's Forum to the hotel at night after a hockey game?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by NoSevens
Anyone stay there lately?

Is it a safe walk back from the St Pete's Forum to the hotel at night after a hockey game?
I haven't stayed here in a while, but the walk isn't long. I myself wouldn't be worried as there will be others out walking to lots. I would say think about your street sense and how comfortable you are walking around a downtown area. If this is during the day, you should be fine. At night, because the CBD is very empty, I would be more cautious and not walk alone.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
No Plat upgrade. Typical Sheraton room, a little shabby. Terrible wifi that craps out randomly, but there is a wired ethernet connection that usually works. No parking options aside from $18 valet and retrieval can be slow; there are a couple of parking decks around but they are a hike. Club is nothing special. Restaurant is surprisingly good, though. I think every room gets a balcony.

There's not much going on in downtown Tampa... however there is a new Aloft being built right next door, and there is a grand old courthouse-type building up the road being turned into a Le Meridien; both should be open later this year, so I'd consider them over this place, which really needs another renovation. The rooms look really dated and the 80s cocaine-mirrors need to go
Old May 28, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
Finished a week stay here in a king sized bedroom w/balcony facing the city.

The rooms here are in serious need of a rehab. The rooms have a "musty smell" and the A/C didn't seem like it was working correctly (this was also a complaint of my co workers staying on different levels of the hotel).

The A/C on the club floor also didn't seem to work. The lounge itself was nice (albeit small) with standard appetizer fare in the evenings and hot/cold options at breakfast.

The food at the restaurant here is pretty terrible. The bartenders were friendly; so this made up for the mediocre food.

The gym and outdoor pool are very nice. When I asked the front desk to replenish the water cups in the gym, the front desk attendant told me to "go get a coffee cup" from the breakfast area.

Overall, this is your typical I-need-a-refresh Sheraton with average employees (aside from the bar). If you have an option in Tampa, go with the Westin Tampa Bay, Westin Harbour Island or the Aloft (next door to the sheraton).
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Any updates? Club lounge tomorrow info?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Any updates on this property? How is the River Arts District? Are there many restaurants bars in the area? Is it safe?

Or is Westshore a better bet?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Any updates on this property? How is the River Arts District? Are there many restaurants bars in the area? Is it safe?

Or is Westshore a better bet?
Westshore is not close to Sheraton Riverwalk. If you wish to remain in this area there are several additional choices that would be better, location wise, than Westshore such as LeMeridien Tampa and Westin Tampa Bay.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by controller1

Westshore is not close to Sheraton Riverwalk. If you wish to remain in this area there are several additional choices that would be better, location wise, than Westshore such as LeMeridien Tampa and Westin Tampa Bay.
I understand they are in different locales. As this is my first time to Tampa I am unclear what the locales have to offer. I'd prefer to be in a locale that has restaurants bars and is safe. What are the differences?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
How is the River Arts District? Are there many restaurants bars in the area? Is it safe? Or is Westshore a better bet?
I haven't stayed at any of the SPG properties in Tampa in the last 2-3 years - I normally stay at the Grand Hyatt by the airport - but have visited Tampa many times and can comment a little regarding location:
  • Westin Tampa Bay - although likely some nice views (probably similar views to the GH Tampa), you won't be able to walk to anything other than a Bahama Breeze and there is really nothing especially near to the hotel. The same is true for the GH Tampa but I really like the property so I stay there anyway. It's at least a 25-30 minute drive to the beach and probably 10-15 minutes to anything on the Tampa side. The causeway that the Westin sits on can also get jammed up at rush hour.
  • Westshore - there is a lot of stuff there in terms of restaurants and bars, but it's basically centered around an upscale shopping mall with other upscale little shopping plazas around it. I used to stay at the Sheraton Suites TPA (which I believe is now a Four Points) and there isn't much of interest within walking distance (in my opinion). The Westshore area, while it does have upscale shops, I don't think is really much different than any other nice suburban shopping center - although it does have Cigar City Brewery ^
  • So that leaves downtown Tampa (unless you want to explore the Sheraton Clearwater Beach, which personally I like and which is reviewed extensively elsewhere) - I haven't been there at night lately but during the day, it does seem to have improved over the past few years. Le Meridien seems to be best located to Ybor City, so if you're looking for bars and restaurants that may be a nice bet. I haven't been inside the Le Meridien but it certainly looks nice from the outside. In general downtown Tampa still seems a little bit gritty to me, I'm not quite sure which areas are safe and which aren't and I'm not sure how much time I would spend walking around there at night. Uber should help.
Just my two cents.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by River in Sight
I haven't stayed at any of the SPG properties in Tampa in the last 2-3 years - I normally stay at the Grand Hyatt by the airport - but have visited Tampa many times and can comment a little regarding location:
  • Westin Tampa Bay - although likely some nice views (probably similar views to the GH Tampa), you won't be able to walk to anything other than a Bahama Breeze and there is really nothing especially near to the hotel. .
We love staying at the Westin Tampa Bay for both the views and the easy five-minute walk to Amalie Arena (former St Pete Times Forum) to catch a Tampa Bay Lightning NHL game. With the exception of the arena, not much else within walking distance. We always have a car and love going to Ybor City and parking the car and walking from shopping area to bar to bar to bar...
Old Nov 6, 2022, 6:01 pm

Left Marriott:
https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article123411.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.