Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Last time I was here was during the chaotic October strike. Things are back to normal now.

Check-in was smooth. The Elite desk is open again (it was closed during the strike), and even though there was only one agent at the Elite counter, there is no waiting as Elites are regularly pulled over to the regular counters ahead of the 20-30 people waiting to check-in there! This hotel has always excelled at Elite recognition.

For the first time in a long time, I was not upgraded to a suite. I had booked the cheapest City View room I could find. Best they could offer me was a Deluxe Ocean Front room which had a beautiful view of the beach and Diamond Head, but is still only 280 sq ft. It's good to be humbled every now and then. However, I checked back at the Elite desk the next morning, and the FD agent was thrilled to tell me that she found me a Kai Suite (just over 1100 sq ft) for the following 2 nights. As usual, I was given a voucher for redemption at the Gift Shop to fill a paper bag with goodies.

At check-in, I was asked if I wanted 1000 points as my welcome amenity or breakfast in the restaurant (Kai Market, valued at $36 pp), without prompting. Even though the lounge has a decent hot breakfast, I chose the restaurant since the selection is much larger, and we are here for 3 nights. The breakfast coupon says "continental breakfast" but we helped ourselves to everything that was on offer. Restaurant breakfast was excellent and they have my favorite bread pudding with a caramel banana sauce.

The first day (while still in my tiny room), they delivered 3 plates of snacks to my room ( 4 chocolates, 3 cookie/brownie things, and a large plate of fruit with half a pineapple, papaya, strawberries and blueberries). First time I've received this additional amenity. Maybe because they couldn't get me a suite the first night?

They no longer have the reserved Plat chairs at the pool due to the large influx of Plats since the merger. Our favorite pool supervisor no longer works here and has relocated to the Alohilani. They have also done away with Happy Hour at the pool bar since the strike, which is very disappointing. I hope they bring this back. It used to be offered 7 days a week, then Mon-Fri and now no more! There was live music at the pool during the afternoon which was nice.

We could hear noise from the renovations up above, but it was not disruptive.

The Leahi Lounge still has probably the best view in all of Waikiki since it is on the 30th floor. On the one side, you have the spectacular view of the beach and Diamond Head. The other side has great sunsets and is perfect for watching the Hilton fireworks on Friday nights (usually at 7:45). The evening service includes free wine and beer, and there are always 3 hot items on offer, plus various salads, veggies, cheese, etc.

Menu for evening service in Leahi Lounge.

Overall, this is a solid property with outstanding Plat and above recognition. Yes, the room furnishings are old and tired, but that should be greatly improved once the renovations are complete. I asked if they had any renovated rooms in service yet, and I was told they were close, but not ready yet. This will continue to be my favorite property in Waikiki!
My family loves Kai Market, and it was great to be able to get bonus points through SPG as "eligible spend" on earlier visits. I haven't gone back since 08/2018 but we may do so soon. I also have a question, right now Amex Offers has a promo for I think $40 credit in $200 spend at Bonvoy. Unfortunately, it says the credit is only for room charges and incidental charges, so I will need a room to take advantage, can't just eat at Kai Market.
The cheapest Bonvoy hotel in the area is the Courtyard Waikiki, does anyone know if I can bill meals at Kai Market to a Courtyard Waikiki room?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by HIFlya
My family loves Kai Market, and it was great to be able to get bonus points through SPG as "eligible spend" on earlier visits. I haven't gone back since 08/2018 but we may do so soon. I also have a question, right now Amex Offers has a promo for I think $40 credit in $200 spend at Bonvoy. Unfortunately, it says the credit is only for room charges and incidental charges, so I will need a room to take advantage, can't just eat at Kai Market.
The cheapest Bonvoy hotel in the area is the Courtyard Waikiki, does anyone know if I can bill meals at Kai Market to a Courtyard Waikiki room?

It's not worth it to stay at the CY for $40 or even 100.
tjo4 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Thanks for the heads-up the Waikiki Marriott has kamaaina rates for 149 ++/night so that definitely would be an option if you can bill Kai Market to the room.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Thanks for the heads-up the Waikiki Marriott has kamaaina rates for 149 ++/night so that definitely would be an option if you can bill Kai Market to the room.
You can't.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Clearly someone's bitter.

Also, what you wrote is not a logical statement.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
You don't need a stay. In Oct, I was able to trigger the bonus by buying gift cards at the Waikiki Marriott (without a stay). I can't see why this would be any different.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We typically stay at the Royal Hawaiian or Moana in Waikiki. I wish they never constructed this monstrosity, it so doesn't fit nicely with the other properties on the beach. I remember it going up when i was a kid.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Mar 30, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
They can only climb so much - there is already competition from same-family properties nearby, plus other mid-high brands, AirBNB and Ko 'Olina.
Ko Olina is a great choice if you want a less busy, outer Island feel. Enjoy it while you can before the Atlantis Resort gets built on lagoon two next to the Beach Villas. The Disney Aulani is on lagoon one and it has made the lagoon much busier, but still less so than Waikiki. The Marriott Beach Club is on lagoon three and is by itself for now, so it is pretty peaceful. We're heading there the end of May. Great fares with Southwest starting up. We scored $330 round trip tickets on American from Dallas, 1st time ever!

Last edited by EXPLAT; Mar 30, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by clublounger
Clearly someone's bitter.

Also, what you wrote is not a logical statement.
The Courtyard and Sheraton are owned by different companies so the sign-to-room that you can do at the Waikiki Sheraton-Royal Hawaiian-Moana Surfrider-Princess Kaiulani are not available at the Courtyard.

Also, what MG is saying is that the HNL Courtyard is worlds apart from the Sheraton Waikiki - they simply target different people, price points, service levels, aesthetic, location and of course still live in different segments of the loyalty program.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
The Courtyard and Sheraton are owned by different companies so the sign-to-room that you can do at the Waikiki Sheraton-Royal Hawaiian-Moana Surfrider-Princess Kaiulani are not available at the Courtyard.

Also, what MG is saying is that the HNL Courtyard is worlds apart from the Sheraton Waikiki - they simply target different people, price points, service levels, aesthetic, location and of course still live in different segments of the loyalty program.
Why did you quote me? My post had nothing to do with Margarita Girl OR cross-charging possibilities. Please edit your post.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
We typically stay at the Royal Hawaiian or Moana in Waikiki.
I would never recommend someone to stay at the outrageously overpriced Royal Hawaiian nor the Moana Surfrider with the postage stamp pool. Sheraton Waikiki is very generous with upgrades and offers a very nice pool experience and decent bar within the hotel.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by clublounger
Why did you quote me? My post had nothing to do with Margarita Girl OR cross-charging possibilities. Please edit your post.
The 2nd part of my post was responding to your "not a logical statement" which I read as comparing the CY to the SW at any cost....
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
You don't need a stay. In Oct, I was able to trigger the bonus by buying gift cards at the Waikiki Marriott (without a stay). I can't see why this would be any different.
Awesome! Thanks for the workaround. I am guessing it worked because the merchant that billed the CC was the hotel directly?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Awesome! Thanks for the workaround. I am guessing it worked because the merchant that billed the CC was the hotel directly?
Yes. Amex has no way of knowing what you bought. Years ago, I had an Amex Cda offer that was for buying a certain brand of premium fuel. I bought regular fuel. It worked. Then I bought a gift card from the gas station. It worked.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

I will probably do what MG suggested but I wanted to clarify what you said about the sign-to-room. So you are saying that Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian, Moana, and Princess Kaiulani can all cross sign to room but Marriott is not included? I guess it doesn't matter they are now all under Bonvoy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.