Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by anteater
Though, being under the Marriott flag does mean they do have to tow the line with respect to the trickle down culture from the current CEO. Yes, that’s meaning a change to some benefits like breakfast.
Except that the current Sheraton brand standard for the welcome amenity is "breakfast in restaurant". No mention of "continental breakfast."
Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Tanic
Except that the current Sheraton brand standard for the welcome amenity is "breakfast in restaurant". No mention of "continental breakfast."
Perhaps a better way to phrase it was a change in dissemination or issuance of benefits. Either way, clearly the current corporate environment is having a negative impact on benefit implementation and enforcement.

I do agree with the give feedback to management and vote your wallet philosophy!
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Día Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tanic
Actually, I looked it up. This Sheraton has a lounge so I think it would fall in category 3.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...explained.html

I believe the reason the hotel became so stingy with breakfast is they shut down their buffet two weeks ago, so everything is made to order. That must really drive up their cost.

Edit: Now that I re-read this, it sounds like one could choose breakfast in lieu of welcome amenity!
anteater likes this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 19, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Edit: Now that I re-read this, it sounds like one could choose breakfast in lieu of welcome amenity!
One could try. An awful lot of properties have flat-out rejected the notion that the guest has the right to choose, and we have conflicting reports from Marriott whether the "choice" belongs to the property or the guest, with Lurkers saying it's the guest's choice, and Marriott cs saying it's the property's.
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Día Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kacee
One could try. An awful lot of properties have flat-out rejected the notion that the guest has the right to choose, and we have conflicting reports from Marriott whether the "choice" belongs to the property or the guest, with Lurkers saying it's the guest's choice, and Marriott cs saying it's the property's.
I have asked for restaurant breakfast pre-Covid, and I got a lot of push back from the SW. Given how well they’ve always treated me and how much I love the hotel, I decided that it was a battle I didn’t want to engage in especially since the lounge breakfast was always quite decent.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 8:22 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's hard to know where to lay the blame - Marriott, or the Japanese owner, who no longer seems to care about offering a great experience. Either way, the situation is bad enough that it warrants looking into non-Marriott properties for a better experience, and not staying at the SW would be a sad change given my 20+ yr history there.
I'd say the lack of Japanese tourists is very much hurting Hawai'i - not only in terms of volume but also expectations. The SW is geared towards Japanese clientele, without the Japanese tourists there's no reason to maintain a high level of service until they return.

I stayed at the SW a few months back when things seemed to be rebounding and Waikiki felt very different to pre-covid, a different vibe altogether with virtually only American tourists. Even then though, not much was going on. I can't imagine how things must be right now.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I decided that it was a battle I didn’t want to engage in especially since the lounge breakfast was always quite decent.
Originally Posted by GVA
I'd say the lack of Japanese tourists is very much hurting Hawai'i - not only in terms of volume but also expectations. The SW is geared towards Japanese clientele, without the Japanese tourists there's no reason to maintain a high level of service until they return.
My theory is the lounge won't reopen until the Japanese return. It's so much nicer than your typical domestic lounge, it likely doesn't make sense for them to make that kind of expenditure just to serve free food and drinks to US-based Marriott elites.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As someone who has stayed and continues to stay on Oahu innumerable times over the years, I think the Sheraton is doing just fine.

The hotel itself is doing a great job at maintaining the facilities and treating repeat guests well. Though, being under the Marriott flag does mean they do have to tow the line with respect to the trickle down culture from the current CEO. Yes, that’s meaning a change to some benefits like breakfast.

That being said, all industries undergo change. There seems to be a romanticism about the past, such as the post WWII era of air travel and hotels where you’d have a cart of prime rib rolling down the aisle on a 747 in First Class. That style of travel and hotel experience is long gone as the industry has fundamentally changed to match the needs of those who are actually traveling.

If you go to Oahu or the Sheraton expecting the exact experience of your decades past trip, you’re going to have a bad time. However, if you go expecting a clean, modern hotel with friendly service you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Nothing is forever, even visit the same place or hotel week over week will eventually look quite different as the years pass. Change isn’t necessarily bad, and the Sheraton is far from dwindling.

I’d recommend the Sheraton for families, the RH for a more quiet experience, and the Moana for the view.

🙌🏻🍹
In that case why waste time and money with a hotel? I can stay at an AirBNB and curate my own unique experience, save money, and not need to worry about bad service or cutbacks.
YariGuy and buschoi like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:03 pm

In that case why waste time and money with a hotel? I can stay at an AirBNB and curate my own unique experience, save money, and not need to worry about bad service or cutbacks.
I don’t view it as a waste. Personally, I prefer staying at the Moana and supporting the hotel and locals which they employ. 🤙🏻

Last edited by anteater; Sep 19, 2021 at 9:24 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
As someone who has stayed and continues to stay on Oahu innumerable times over the years, I think the Sheraton is doing just fine.

The hotel itself is doing a great job at maintaining the facilities and treating repeat guests well. Though, being under the Marriott flag does mean they do have to tow the line with respect to the trickle down culture from the current CEO. Yes, that’s meaning a change to some benefits like breakfast.

That being said, all industries undergo change. There seems to be a romanticism about the past, such as the post WWII era of air travel and hotels where you’d have a cart of prime rib rolling down the aisle on a 747 in First Class. That style of travel and hotel experience is long gone as the industry has fundamentally changed to match the needs of those who are actually traveling.

If you go to Oahu or the Sheraton expecting the exact experience of your decades past trip, you’re going to have a bad time. However, if you go expecting a clean, modern hotel with friendly service you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Nothing is forever, even visit the same place or hotel week over week will eventually look quite different as the years pass. Change isn’t necessarily bad, and the Sheraton is far from dwindling.

I’d recommend the Sheraton for families, the RH for a more quiet experience, and the Moana for the view.

🙌🏻🍹
I am not sure any of us expect to walk into a hotel lobby and see Elvis singing Blue Hawaii or Bob Hope walking around after flying a 747 FC over. I think what we are concerned about is the continued decline services at many of the "flagged" hotels. Some believe that various owners/management are taking advantage of Covid to reduce pare back various goods and services I think we can agree on that. Certainly the Sheraton is doing its best to comply with "social distancing" poolside and elsewhere. We also have the issue of employees returning to the work place in the islands I can comment what family members who live there tell me the same issues abound there as the mainland. Japanese tourist have been a huge mainstay of the islands for years and hoping that they return the question is when and to what extent.

At the end of the day the islands ( and this has been said countless times over the years) need to look elsewhere for income and depend less on tourism. As for tourism I define that as mainland US and Asian combined the islands can not be dependent on a single sector. Another point on the lounges etc returning once the Asian traffic picks up true remembering that travel agents in Japan and elsewhere typically sell packages that include access to the lounges. Look at the Hyatt two floors solely for the Asian traffic, they all got down for breakfast included thus the traffic jam!

We all will adjust our travel habits and depend less and less on loyalty benefits.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don’t view it as a waste. Personally, I prefer staying at the Moana and supporting the hotel and locals which they employ. 🤙🏻
What you're describing is charity, and I am not traveling anywhere to sprinkle dollars around while I have a stressful, miserable experience.

Perhaps the theory about Japanese tourism is correct, especially given the ownership of these Waikiki properties, and back in May while strolling past the JAL departure gate at HNL and seeing about 12 people sitting there waiting to board I figured the problem is pretty serious, but continuing to dumb down the product using Marriott's "minimum standards" as a lame excuse will not draw the discerning visitors to these properties. As leisure travel continues to slide off a cliff with back to school and tightening restrictions in Hawai'i, the smarter business decision would be to enhance service offerings for elite and higher value customers to make sure they choose the SW, RH or Moana over a competing property or private stay option vs removing any last vestiges of specialized recognition to the point where you'll get more amenities at the Holiday Inn Express.

If volume is going down, attracting higher margin and loyal spenders to the hotel perhaps with some floors shut down to conserve costs, is the better approach. Maybe even a "hotel within a hotel" experience for repeat, or Plat+ customers with designated check-in, a proper hot plated breakfast, reserved chair at the Infiniti Pool (claim it by x:hour or it goes to someone else waiting), and something as simple as a coupon book to use at local restaurants and businesses in the area. If someone was staying with me 3-4 times a year, I would have management offer them r/t airport transfer by Uber if they are not renting a car.

The problem with the travel industry in general is foolish, short-sighted leadership that focuses on cost cutting vs incentivizing spend. In truth, you can do both - cutting costs for low margin, bargain customers and enhancing the product for repeat, loyal customers who spend more.

I get emails throughout the year from independent or smaller chain boutique or resort properties offering me special incentives or services to come back - in fact, one of the most frequent emailers is the Kahala, which is where I believe the SW's beloved Kelly Sanders ended up running the show, if I'm not mistaken.

After a 20+yr relationship with the SW, do they ever email me? Nada.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
What you're describing is charity, and I am not traveling anywhere to sprinkle dollars around while I have a stressful, miserable experience.

Perhaps the theory about Japanese tourism is correct, especially given the ownership of these Waikiki properties, and back in May while strolling past the JAL departure gate at HNL and seeing about 12 people sitting there waiting to board I figured the problem is pretty serious, but continuing to dumb down the product using Marriott's "minimum standards" as a lame excuse will not draw the discerning visitors to these properties. As leisure travel continues to slide off a cliff with back to school and tightening restrictions in Hawai'i, the smarter business decision would be to enhance service offerings for elite and higher value customers to make sure they choose the SW, RH or Moana over a competing property or private stay option vs removing any last vestiges of specialized recognition to the point where you'll get more amenities at the Holiday Inn Express.

If volume is going down, attracting higher margin and loyal spenders to the hotel perhaps with some floors shut down to conserve costs, is the better approach. Maybe even a "hotel within a hotel" experience for repeat, or Plat+ customers with designated check-in, a proper hot plated breakfast, reserved chair at the Infiniti Pool (claim it by x:hour or it goes to someone else waiting), and something as simple as a coupon book to use at local restaurants and businesses in the area. If someone was staying with me 3-4 times a year, I would have management offer them r/t airport transfer by Uber if they are not renting a car.

The problem with the travel industry in general is foolish, short-sighted leadership that focuses on cost cutting vs incentivizing spend. In truth, you can do both - cutting costs for low margin, bargain customers and enhancing the product for repeat, loyal customers who spend more.

I get emails throughout the year from independent or smaller chain boutique or resort properties offering me special incentives or services to come back - in fact, one of the most frequent emailers is the Kahala, which is where I believe the SW's beloved Kelly Sanders ended up running the show, if I'm not mistaken.

Let's not forget Guam which is also a destination for Japanese tourist. I spent a number of of weeks in Guam when we were working on the expansion of the bases there, staying at the Hyatt which by the by was pretty nice lots of Japanese getting married on the beach.

I also agree with you with respect to some of the other properties worth a look, I know we are and that coupled with my wife being Hawaiian there are benefits
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:29 pm

By that logic, one could say not owning the property at which you’ll reside and paying to rent (eg your AirBNB example) is charity.

If you’re stressed out by changes at a property such as the SW, you may want to contact management or perhaps the suggestion earlier.. vote with your wallet and not stay at the property. And, there’s our connection.. I’m voting with my wallet; personally, I stay at the Moana because I am treated well (eg it is a good value for me) and they treat their staff well.

🤙🏻🍹
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

You'd be incorrect. Sanders oversees Alohilani, Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, Park Shore Waikiki, Ambassador Waikiki Hotel, Pearl Waikiki Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach and Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki.

Personally, not really a fan of any of those. If you'd like to stay at one, you must be fully vaccinated starting Oct 15.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You'd be incorrect. Sanders oversees Alohilani, Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, Park Shore Waikiki, Ambassador Waikiki Hotel, Pearl Waikiki Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach and Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki.

Personally, not really a fan of any of those. If you'd like to stay at one, you must be fully vaccinated starting Oct 15.
Well that would explain the fantastic experience a travel companion had at the Courtyard a few months ago, but the Alohilani is a solid choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.