Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Westin Grand, Westin Bayshore or Sheraton Centre (2005+) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver: Westin Grand, Westin Bayshore or Sheraton Centre (2005+) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, AC E50K
there is also the Westin Grand
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I just finished a one week stay at the Sheraton Wall Centre. (My son is starting his first year at UBC so I'll likely have many trips there over the next four years...what a great city!).

I've also stayed at the Westin Grand, but not the Bayshore Westin. The Westin Grand was very nice, but my preference is the Sheraton Wall Centre. It's a fantastic hotel, a cut above most Sheratons. I stayed on points and was upgraded to a corner suite that included a fully-separated bedroom with its own TV. It was a perfect room for my son before he moved into his residence hall. (What a step down for him!).

The continental breakfast and the evening appetizers in the executive lounge are excellent, and the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. You can either self park or valet park at the Sheraton. The fitness centre is outstanding. The location is excellent...right in the middle of the action. This is definitely one of my favorite Starwood properties.

A couple of interesting observations about the hotel...

Both a USA Today and a Canadian paper (sometimes the Vancouver Sun, sometimes the Globe and Mail) were placed outside my door in tee morning. I noticed my neighbors didn't get a USA Today. The hotel must have added it since I'm a U.S. citizen. I preferred the Canadian papers, but I thought this was a nice touch.

*All* packaged drinks in the executive lounge are charged for, including canned soft drinks and bottled water. And, the price is outrageous...$CDN 3.50 for a can of Coke is ridiculous. In the morning free orange juice is supplied, but in the evening the only free drink is water from a pitcher.

Smoked salmon (loch style) was provided every morning for breakfast. Yum!

I don't know where they get their bagels, but they varied in size from that of an English muffin (small) down to the size of a silver dollar (tiny!). IMHO, they need to import their bagels from New York. :-)

Enjoy Vancouver...as I said earlier, it's a great city!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:46 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
You really can't go wrong with any of them. I used to stay at Wall Centre frequently and got fantastic upgrades. I stayed there this past July and wasn't nearly as happy (I was over in the newer wing, which I don't like as much - also they get a lot of night-before cruise traffic). My only complaint with Bayshore is that I find it's not as easy to walk to restaurants. Westin Grand is nice because it's all suites.

BoulderFlyer YHM re: UBC - one of the schools my son's looking at.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:51 pm

Westin Grand Suites

I think the Westin Grand Suites is the best SPG property in the city. I think it's much nicer then the more centrally located Four Seasons - which is looking a tad tired. But that's my humble opinion. The Westin Grand Suites has floor to ceiling windows looking out over the city, most rooms have a small balcony and they have very comfortable living/bath/bedrooms. Of course, the Heavenly Bed is nice too.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Hi Folks,
Thanks a lot to you all. The Westin Bayshore seems to be sold out for the dates I want. Is the Westin Grand close to the Westin Bayshore (walk) and does it have a view of the ocean?

Cheers
expressboy
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
I think you will be better off staying at one of the hotels other than the sold out Bayshore. I stayed there about 1 year ago and felt it was outdated. I also found it not as centrally located as the other properties.

Have a nice trip.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:19 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Wall Center is great for upgrades. I had two rooms and both were upgraded to full one-bedroom suites with a dining room table. Fantastic treatment.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:20 am

Programs: United 1K
Which Vancouver property is best? Westin Grand, Westin Bayshore or Sheraton Centre

I'll be in Vancouver for 5 nights in October (unfortunately by myself) and want to know which hotel is better.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: AP Elite, *Wood Plat
Both the WC and the Bayshore are great properties and both have very helpful staff.

The Westin Bayshore is much older but it is a classic and was renovated a few years ago. Standard rooms tend to be small. It is close to Stanley Park and the marina therefore very convenient for runs/walks around the park (5km). There is a large outside pool (whereas I can't remember but I think the Wall Centre only has a small indoor pool). The views of the marina/bay/mountains from some of the rooms are fabulous.

The Wall Centre is about 10 years old and very well located, 5 min walking distance from Robson Street and other shopping areas. Rooms are very spacious.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Also, the Bayshore has a nice indoor pool/spa complex. I favor the Bayshore but the surroundings and neighborhoods are different in each of the three and that could be an important decider. The Bayshore is a bit off the beaten track from the downtown/commercial city center from the others but that is its attraction to us.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:05 pm
YYZ

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by jaguar
I'll be in Vancouver for 5 nights in October (unfortunately by myself) and want to know which hotel is better.
I personally would prefer the Westin Grand. The Westin Grand is an all-suite hotel, located on the other side of Robson street (from the Wall Centre). I like the location of Westin Grand being on Robson, a little better. However, the Wall Centre is also gorgeous as well. I just prefer the rooms and the location of Westin Grand a bit better (Wall Centre is on Burrard across from a hospital, whereas the Grand is right on Robson, a few steps away from the main shopping strip, and waterfront). Not to say the Wall Centre is far...

Westin Bayshore is slightly away from downtown, so if you want to walk to restaurants shops etc., you are better off staying at WG or SWC.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by YYZ
I personally would prefer the Westin Grand. The Westin Grand is an all-suite hotel, located on the other side of Robson street (from the Wall Centre). I like the location of Westin Grand being on Robson, a little better. However, the Wall Centre is also gorgeous as well. I just prefer the rooms and the location of Westin Grand a bit better (Wall Centre is on Burrard across from a hospital, whereas the Grand is right on Robson, a few steps away from the main shopping strip, and waterfront). Not to say the Wall Centre is far...

Westin Bayshore is slightly away from downtown, so if you want to walk to restaurants shops etc., you are better off staying at WG or SWC.
FYI...there is a new condo project going up adjacent to the Grand so beware during the daylight hours that it can be rather noisy.

I like the Bayshore simply for the location on Coal Harbour next to Stanley Park but I also like the Wall Centre for the end rooms that give an amazing view of the North Shore mountains and English Bay from the 27th flr.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:49 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
Wall Center

Provide easiest walking to all the sights, skytrain, etc.

construction near the Grand would make for noise and traffic issues.

Bayshore has nice views, but a bit out of the way...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:58 pm
YYZ

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
FYI...there is a new condo project going up adjacent to the Grand so beware during the daylight hours that it can be rather noisy.

I like the Bayshore simply for the location on Coal Harbour next to Stanley Park but I also like the Wall Centre for the end rooms that give an amazing view of the North Shore mountains and English Bay from the 27th flr.
Didn't know about the construction. Then, I'd stay at the Wall Centre if the trip is for business. I agree with the assessment of the Bayshore, but I would rather be within walking distance of most things...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:31 pm
mdg

Programs: UA-1K;SPG-Platinum;Marriott-Gold
If this matters....The Wall Center has a nice club level. The Grand - at last check - didn't have a club - for Platinum. To me this makes a difference because I can run up there, grab a quick breakfast at no charge (saves the company $$) and I only like a small bite anyway. The view is really nice in the club at Wall Centre also! In my opinion the view from most rooms is better too because of the giant windows and proximity away from other tall buildings.
FWIW....I pick Wall Centre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.