Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

CLOSED (for demolition) May 31 2022, Sheraton Cleveland Airport, OH [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLOSED (for demolition) May 31 2022, Sheraton Cleveland Airport, OH [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Naw - now they're just stuck.

David
Well, darn it, I'll make sure to avoid connections in airports without connected Sheratons. Avoiding Denver until they rebrand that Westin :-)
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Well, darn it, I'll make sure to avoid connections in airports without connected Sheratons. Avoiding Denver until they rebrand that Westin :-)
If this keeps up, there won't be any airports to go to...

David
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Agreed if you're referring to the Airport Marriott, however the one in Beachwood on 271 near the medical center was quite nice and we stayed there frequently pre-pandemic, with excellent service. If I don't need to be downtown it's my "go-to" in the area.
+1 The Marriott in Beachwood on 271 was always solid. Haven't stayed there since before the pandemic. So don't know if it is still good today.

--Jon
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
+1 The Marriott in Beachwood on 271 was always solid. Haven't stayed there since before the pandemic. So don't know if it is still good today.

--Jon
For the suburbs, it’s OK. Typical full service Marriott in Ohio with River City Grill and the old fountain in the lobby that they finally removed.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Makes sense that a property like this is no longer needed as Cleveland lost its hub status years ago. Now, people aren't getting stuck in CLE as they used to.
Yep, the article I linked says that:
Kennedy said Hopkins no longer needs an on-airport hotel, as the large majority of travelers through the airport start or end their travels in Northeast Ohio. In recent years, the Sheraton has been used primarily by flight crews, according to Kennedy.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:16 am

Hotel closure, no point refund

I had a night booked at the CLE Sheraton at the airport in August for 20,000 points. Yesterday I received an email that the property will be permanently closed as of 5/31, so they moved my reservation to the Four Points. Seemed like an odd choice; that hotel has a 2 star rating and is only 8,000 points. There are nicer properties (4.1 and 4.2 star) closer to the airport (Aloft & Courtyard) for 14,500 points. No points were refunded, so I cancelled the original reservation and rebooked at one of the better properties. I thought it was sort of odd they'd choose the Four Points for 20k instead of something closer in value to what I'd booked. Anyone else have similar experiences with hotel closures and auto-rebooking? Just curious...
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The franchise owner of the Sheraton may also own the Four Points, or at the very least did a deal with the Four Points to take their customers.

It is very unlikely that Marriott Bonvoy / corporate got involved in moving your booking. And the owner / manager of the Sheraton has nothing to do with the setting of the "points price" or processing a partial refund for you.

You did the right thing in cancelling and making your own alternative arrangements.
TXJeepGuy and esc2476 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The franchise owner of the Sheraton may also own the Four Points, or at the very least did a deal with the Four Points to take their customers. It is very unlikely that Marriott Bonvoy / corporate got involved ....
Very good point; Sheraton & Four Points are both in the same "brand line" so that makes complete sense why they'd move me there (to their "own" property) rather than a nicer Marriott-branded property like a Courtyard or Aloft. I was looking for something more "full service" and the Four Points just ain't it.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:56 pm

I never stayed there, but kind of sad to see something that old go away. From the photos, I'm impressed with what they were able to do with such an old property. Looks like they started giving up in 2019. The review on TripAdvisor of a 400 lb chunk of the building falling off and damaging cars in 2020 seems to confirm they were ready to abandon the property.

Originally Posted by rrz518
dontcha think that being next to the airport might account for high airborne contaminates from the jet fumes? The hotel does not claim to be sterile.
Definitely not jet exhaust. My hangar is 550' from the nearest runway, the office there is 1000' from the runway, the FBO's 800' from the runway and of course there's plenty of jets starting immediately next to the FBO on the ramp, and one of my condos is 1.7mi from RWY 5/23 directly under the flight path. None of them have dust like this. If it was jet exhaust, I'd expect the particulate to be black, as it'd be unburnt Jet A, basically kerosene.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.