Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Last time they did work in the fitness centre they setup a temp one in a meeting room. Do they do that this time?

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Staying at the hotel tonight. Note that both the Club Lounge and Fitness Centre are closed for renovations for the month of Sept I believe. The pool is still open, and I was offered coupons for free appetizers and breakfast in the restaurant.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, NW, US
Recent Stay - WiFi hard to get

layover in YYZ en route to Beijing put me at the Sheraton Gateway YYZ for one night (Friday 19 Aug). I have to say I liked the convenience and my room was quiet and well-appointed (Plat upgrade to the executive floor away from runways). Complimentary breakfast in the club lounge was good (Bonus: wonderful, friendly staff) for my personal preference for light breakfast with lot so of fresh fruit. Check-in was smooth and cordial. My rate of 152 CAN$ was booked many weeks ahead.

The only caution I would share is the WiFi is not found in most hotel rooms in this property (only in public areas and in lounge). You need to use ethernet. I was lucky that my room was adjacent to the Club Lounge and I could leech off that WiFi.

Many of us now travel with WiFi or 3G only capabilities and eschew the cord. I would like to think that every hotel room in the SPG universe should have a WiFi option available, and I was surprised to learn that this hotel did not.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
Last time they did work in the fitness centre they setup a temp one in a meeting room. Do they do that this time?
Don't think so. Front desk didn't say anything, and I just saw the sign when I went down to the fitness center. They did not refer me to a meeting room or anywhere else.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
Question

Originally Posted by Zangpo
layover in YYZ en route to Beijing put me at the Sheraton Gateway YYZ for one night (Friday 19 Aug). I have to say I liked the convenience and my room was quiet and well-appointed (Plat upgrade to the executive floor away from runways). Complimentary breakfast in the club lounge was good (Bonus: wonderful, friendly staff) for my personal preference for light breakfast with lot so of fresh fruit. Check-in was smooth and cordial. My rate of 152 CAN$ was booked many weeks ahead.

The only caution I would share is the WiFi is not found in most hotel rooms in this property (only in public areas and in lounge). You need to use ethernet. I was lucky that my room was adjacent to the Club Lounge and I could leech off that WiFi.

Many of us now travel with WiFi or 3G only capabilities and eschew the cord. I would like to think that every hotel room in the SPG universe should have a WiFi option available, and I was surprised to learn that this hotel did not.
I agree. Extremely disappointing. I recall asking the duty manager several stays ago as to why WiFi was not supported. The response: "It's the Greater Toronto Airport Authority (GTAA) who regulate the opportunity and availability of WiFi. Hence, due to the unknown risks in providing WiFi within the airport area (), no hotels in the direct immediate area are allowed to provide WiFi. I'm no techie, but I thought how can they offer in public areas of the hotel, at airport lounges, etc... Hopefully, they'll get onboard soon...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SPG Junkie
I agree. Extremely disappointing. I recall asking the duty manager several stays ago as to why WiFi was not supported. The response: "It's the Greater Toronto Airport Authority (GTAA) who regulate the opportunity and availability of WiFi. Hence, due to the unknown risks in providing WiFi within the airport area (), no hotels in the direct immediate area are allowed to provide WiFi. I'm no techie, but I thought how can they offer in public areas of the hotel, at airport lounges, etc... Hopefully, they'll get onboard soon...
It wouldn't surprise me - the GTAA and Transport Canada are the biggest bunch of dimwits you'll ever regret encountering.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
The Club Lounge has been completely renovated and looks great. The evening food has changed and seems "fancier" with lots of cheese (but no crackers) and finger sandwiches. The tradition veggies and dip are gone, but soft drinks, drinks and Perrier are back in the fridge.
Amenities in the bathrooms have also returned to their pre-economic slow down standard.
It is nice to see the improvements at this hotel as I am here a few times a year. Still one of my favorite *wood properties.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:06 am

I have probably stayed here 10 times over the last 5 years, always for 1 night stays on my home from Vancouver or Calgary (home is PA). I really like this property especially for an airport hotel. When compared to the LA Gateway, this prop deserves high marks. The hotel bar is terrific and the menu is solid. The restaurant is decent as well. The lounge has improved greatly over the last couple of years.

The location is the best part though. When you have an early wakeup call, you can make it to the terminal (1 or 3) within a couple of minutes.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I have a 6 hour layover at YYZ. Is there a day pass I can purchase to use the fitness facility at Sheraton Gateway Toronto? If there is, can I purchase it in advace or has to be the day I am going to use it?
Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unadvertised benefit?

I recently had a reservation at the Sheraton Gateway because I was scheduled to arrive late to YYZ. When I managed to get my standby confirmed on an earlier flight, I cancelled my reservation before the 4 pm deadline.

However, due to AC's ineptitude at baggage handling (took about 45 mins), I missed the 21:45 bus home by minutes. Rather than wait for the 22:45 bus, I decided to walk over to the Sheraton to see if they could reinstate my reservation. Turns out they were now sold out because of a cancelled flight, but the agent told me that I didn't need to cancel my reservation so early. He said that because they are an airport hotel, they give guests until midnight to cancel at no charge. Good to know for next time. As usual YMMV.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I recently had a reservation at the Sheraton Gateway because I was scheduled to arrive late to YYZ. When I managed to get my standby confirmed on an earlier flight, I cancelled my reservation before the 4 pm deadline.

However, due to AC's ineptitude at baggage handling (took about 45 mins), I missed the 21:45 bus home by minutes. Rather than wait for the 22:45 bus, I decided to walk over to the Sheraton to see if they could reinstate my reservation. Turns out they were now sold out because of a cancelled flight, but the agent told me that I didn't need to cancel my reservation so early. He said that because they are an airport hotel, they give guests until midnight to cancel at no charge. Good to know for next time. As usual YMMV.
Hope this is true, Ill test it out later this week and try to report back.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
fitness facility

Originally Posted by travelmi
I have a 6 hour layover at YYZ. Is there a day pass I can purchase to use the fitness facility at Sheraton Gateway Toronto? If there is, can I purchase it in advace or has to be the day I am going to use it?
Thanks!
You could also visit the Goodlife Fitness centre at the airport - Departures level. If you visit their website you could also print off a free pass. Its a nice facility - clean with showers, sauna etc.. I had a 3 hour layover recently and found it a great way to spend the time.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Any recent stays at this hotel? The wifi reports have me worried, though they were a few years ago so hopefully things are now better.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
The wi-fi has improved a lot. I've stayed here three times this year and the wi-fi was good each time.

Overall, this is a great property.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by rafatmit
Any recent stays at this hotel? The wifi reports have me worried, though they were a few years ago so hopefully things are now better.
I haven't had wifi issues.

My only concern is the prices seem to have really gone up. Good for them, but bad for me!

Cheers,
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I haven't stayed here in a long time since prices seem to have rocketed. Gone are the days of $90-100 BRGs. Now staying at Sheraton Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.