Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:59 am
JRS

Location: Pittsburgh - SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, US Chairmans Pref
See my post above

The Sheraton is a better option for you. Numerous restaurants and bars right there at Station Square. The Westin does a have nice seafood/sushi restaurant but you'd probably be cabbing it anywhere else.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JRS
The Sheraton is a better option for you. Numerous restaurants and bars right there at Station Square. The Westin does a have nice seafood/sushi restaurant but you'd probably be cabbing it anywhere else.
If you consider Hard Rock Cafe, Houlihan's, Bar Louie, Buca De Bepo and the now closed or soon to be closed Hooters as 'nightlife' then stay there. The real local action areas require cab or shuttle rides (i.e. South Side/Carson Street or Oakland-College Area).

Really downtown Pittsburgh is buttoned up at nights and you will probably want to look elsewhere for the action.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Sheraton and Westin Impressions

I've been staying at both the downtown hotels now for about four months. I had prepared a review of them a while back but forgot to post it. I have also stayed at the Doubltree and Hilton and will post a review there of those properties in that forum. Let me know if you have any questions about these properties

Link to Hilton Pittsburgh Review
------------------------------------------

Hotel: Westin Convention Center
My Status Level: Platinum
Number of stays: 10+

General Comments: The hotel is a little bit dated. It is also connected to the convention center. Both weeks I was there it was sold-out or near capacity. There are about 25 floors to the hotel so it is rather large. Front desk staff were not very friendly (not mean either) and when I inquired about an upgrade I was told that none were available or that they were sold out and therefore couldn’t even honor my standard King room (one week).

Upgrade: No upgrade usually offered. One week I wasn’t even given my requested King Bed. I am usually put on SPG floors for stays but that is not always the case. They do have some suites and on a 1 day stay I was told by the front desk clerk that I could have an upgrade since it was a short stay.

General Room: Room is rather large. There was a small chair and side table in addition to the desk and chair. The desk did not have an office chair but rather a regular dinner table type chair not on wheels. A lot rooms I stay in have a funky smell to them. I think it was due to mold. Sometimes the hallway also has an odor. The one suite I was in the bedroom and the bathroom were the same as the standard rooms. The 'living room' had a 4 person round dining room table in the middle of the room and a second tv. There was no couch and really the only way use the room was to sit at the table ... not too comfortable unless you were entertaining or hosting a poker game, etc... Also there is mini-bar available (which you can decline the key for).

Internet: Internet was wireless and free. However, it was very slow. It was adequate for emails and general webpage reading such as CNN but not sufficient for video websites. The sign-on page says standard internet is 2x's the speed of dial-up. They also offer higher speed for $9.95 for 24-hours (not per day).

Lounge: As is typical of a lot of Westins, there is no lounge. The only ammentiy difference I can see for Platinums is free bottled water (Aqua Panna - 2 approx. 700ml bottles per day). Sometimes the tag says that there is a charge but as a Plat I have never been charged and I have confirmed that with the front desk.
• Breakfast: N/A unless you pay. The connected building has just opened a Crazy Mocha which I think is a local coffee chain
• Evening: N/A - there is of course room service and the Fish Restaurant.

Shuttle: They have one but I only used it once and didn't get the impression that it was very accomidating. The driver didn't want to take me at first as I was alone. Also, most other area hotels will take you within a 3 mile radius. The time I used it, the driver said they wouldn't go to the South Side (Carson St) which I think is between 2 and 3 miles away.

Gym: They have a fairly large gym, almost a mini-health club. There is a pool and workout facility with several (around 10) treadmills, stair climbing equipment and free weights. In addition there is an area that looks like a place where they possibly hold fitness classes. I saw those large oversized balls, steps and some bikes that looked like they were used for class. Additionally there are several televisions throughout the room and a lot of the machines allowed you to plug your headphones into your own personal television. However, this looked to be older technology that was retro-fitted to the machines rather than built in. You also have to sign in with an attendant who looks you up in the computer and then logs you in a book.

Location: Across from the convention center. Approximately a 5 to 15 minute walk to most downtown businesses and 15 to 20 minute walk to downtown stadiums.

Recommendation: No. The main turnoffs were no lounge and the quality of the room. The hotel is very cold feeling to me and the room is not very comfortable (minus the great Westin bed of course). I don’t like the smell. Also, this hotel does not offer comparables to the other properties that I have stayed in. I think they focus mainly on convention business which keeps them close to 100% (generally I think there is a dearth of rooms most weeks downtown) and therefore do not worry about the frequent traveler who is looking for an all around experience.

Next post ... my impressions of the Sheraton

Last edited by neo_781; Nov 12, 2008 at 8:53 pm Reason: added link to HH review
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:33 pm

Sheraton Station Square

Hotel: Sheraton Station Square
My Status Level: Platinum
Number of stays: 4

General Comments: The staff is super friendly from the doormen, the front desk, the shuttle drivers and the concierge attendant. I really appreciate their level of service and commitment to the customer. This was really important to me as this hotel is on the other side of the Monongahela River from downtown and therefore required the use of the shuttle to get most places, otherwise it can be a long walk. Also of note this hotel is located in the heart of a tourist district (think: Hard Rock Café).

Upgrade: Concierge Level on all stays. One stay I was given a junior suite with 2, yes, 2 flat panel televisions. This was great as it was election week and I was able to have CNN and ABC on simultaneously while sitting on the couch and controlling both tv's with one remote. It was heaven for a political junkie!

General Room: I was upgraded to the concierge level in a corner room. The rooms are rather large and was in the “tower” part of the building. I don’t recall the exact floor number but it about floor 15 and is the top floor. They also have another section of the hotel (served by separate elevators) that is only a few floors (but I've never been in that section). Some rooms are setup a bit differently but generally the bathroom is a tad small but usable. Some rooms have a second sink outside of the bathroom. The rooms are definitely older but have been touched up within the past few years. On the minus side, there is no thermostat that allows you to set a temperature. It is more the old style with 2 knobs - one for hot and cold and the second for fan speed.

Lounge:
• Breakfast: Standard continental breakfast fare. Juice, coffee, cereal, muffins/pastries, assorted breads. No hot food for breakfast
• Evening: In the evening the selection was pretty much standard. Cash bar, hot appetizer and cheese/fruit platter. Also note they serve Pepsi products. The concierge was one of the nicest person I have encountered in the lounge in a very long time (the only other lounge where the hosts were as gracious to me was at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza). She made a point out of serving her guests and really didn’t even want you to help clean up. While its not the most deluxe lounge in terms of amenities (it's pretty standard for the US), I am still impressed that the concierge recognizes me and I don't even stay there a lot!

Shuttle: The shuttle is on-demand and first come first serve. There is a separate number for the driver where you can call for pickups. The drivers were extremely nice. After the first day they began to recognize me (pays to tip them well) and would make sure I was taken care of. They explained to several people that they do the best they can and are not a taxi service which is understandable. On week, in the morning they seemed really busier than normal and had to pull out a second van (I got the impression that was unusual). As they have to make several stops, plan extra time to get where you need to be even though distances are really short. It is possible to walk across the Smithfield Bridge to get to downtown but to walk to the convention center would be far (over 30 minutes I estimate).

Gym: Standard older hotel gym. Very few pieces of equipment but they did have all the basics including 4 treadmills, step masters, free weights and more. There is also a large pool which you have to walk through to get to the gym. Access was via a key card and it is unattended.

Location: Across the Monongahela River from downtown in an area known as Station Square.

Recommendation: Yes. The service really made this hotel. Its biggest detraction was not being downtown as I don’t have access to a car while in Pittsburgh. When you compare this to the Westin, it is much nicer. While its older and further from the business district their treatment of their customers (with upgrades and gracious service) makes it a win for me.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Nov 12, 08, 10:33 pm #79
neo_781
Two recent stays, 100% agree with this post. Used cash +points option and still received upgrade on both occassions. One stay involved a special event, and a complimentary cheese tray was delivered to my room - very nice.

Important note: hotel recently changed GM's -previous had been there 15years. New GM is BIG into customer service & property enhancement, seen as I often stayed at his (former) property. Look for continued positive changes/updates here....if you stayed within the last couple years and did not have a good experience, try it again - I think you will see a difference.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:55 pm

Thumbs up Westin Update - December 2008

Just heard from the front desk that the hotel is in the process of upgrading the TV's to Plasmas and is working from the top floor down.

Also was told that a replacement of the desk chairs and 'easy' chairs/furniture is in the works for next year but I was not given a time frame for this update.
Old May 31, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Sheraton

Recently stayed for a weekend, had 2 rooms.. each 1 night C+P and one night paid. When checking in very late at night, after a crazy travel day (LGA+rain) I was greeted and explained my situation and asked if they could combine reservations so we didn't have to check out. This apparently threw the check-in agent a curveball and she typed away for 10 minutes trying to understand everything. She couldn't find my reservations so she said I'd have to check in the next day when the manager was there. Is this really that complex? Anyway, I then inquired about an upgrade and she promptly stated they were "almost full, sorry!". I knew there were jr suites for sale so I pushed back a little bit and she magically made one appear (this same exact thing happened the last time I stayed there).

Had to go down to the front desk on Saturday to make sure they didn't deactivate our keys. I went to the front desk and they immediately knew who I was and assured me my stay was extended and my late checkout was confirmed. Come back later that day and the keys don't work Then I check out Sunday and want to put all the charges on a different card and apparently they processed Friday night already and I could only change payment for Saturday so I'd have to call accounting to change my payment for Friday, which is annoying.

As for the hotel, heres my overall evaluation of the property:

Pros-
1) Junior suites (if you can get them) are okay size, with nice views of the city
2) Location- I prefer it to the Westin. Lots of restaurants, bars within walking distance
3) Free hotel shuttle anywhere within 3 miles, leaves on the 1/2 hour.. very nice driver
4) Cheap parking garage right in front of the hotel

Cons-
1) This is a party hotel on the weekend. Lots of wedding parties and bachelorette parties (I realize this may be a pro for some people )
2) Paper-thin walls. I am a very heavy sleeper, but was woken up by rowdy hotel guests (see point #1) and the freight train that runs by the hotel
3) Clueless front desk reps
4) Worn furnishings.. dingy couch and thin sheets/ comforter
5) Big loud manual AC unit (with knobs) in the corner of the room
6) Club lounge closed on weekends

Overall, decent C+P value.. but could use some sound insulation in the rooms and better customer service training. However, given the SPG choices, will continue to stay here when in "the Burgh" for business or leisure.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Can someone comment on whether the Sheraton gives breakfast vouchers to plats on weekend (since apparently the lounge is closed)?

While I still think this should standard for Starwood (provided the hotel has a club lounge) I wanted to check...

Thanks!

Last edited by moulder3; Aug 10, 2009 at 11:07 am
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
And the Westin (not having a club lounge) doesn't give out breakfast certs. to plats, do they?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I've stayed at both on weekends and was not given certs. Then again, I didn't ask, but definitely was not voluntarily given.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Even though I've only stayed here a couple of times, just got the following email from a sales manager for the Westin; for those of you that are regulars that may have been left off the distribution, it provides a pretty good heads up:

Good Afternoon-

Thank you for your loyalty to the Westin Convention Center and the Sheraton Station Square Hotels in Pittsburgh

You might have noticed that the hotels are still a little full this time of year. I thought it would be helpful to send you an update of the dates we are projecting to sell out so we can work together to prepare in advance for your future reservations.

You can always email me when you need rooms and I will work to get you a reservation, but I strongly recommend making reservations for these dates now while they are available and adjusting them if needed. If you know that you are going to be here through the end of the year, you might want to make all your reservations now

Westin 11/10-11/12, 11/14, 11/18-11/20, 12/2 and 12/9-12/12

Sheraton 11/17-11/19, 12/8-12/10

Also make sure you have registered for the SPG 1000 points per stay promotion that end November 30 for stays through December 18 at http://www.spgpromos.com/1000starpoints/

As always, reach out to me, when you need assistance, and I will do what I can to help you. You can also contact my assistant, Lauren Nelson at XXX-XXX-XXXX or email at XXXXXXX. Please feel free to share this dates with your coworkers too.

PATRICIA HANSON
BUSINESS TRAVEL SALES MANAGER/PROPERTY SERVICE CULTURE TRAINER
WESTIN CONVENTION CENTER PITTSBURGH
SHERATON STATION SQUARE
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Any Recent Stays At The Sheraton ?

Am looking at a stay this upcoming Fall but there haven't been any reports for almost a year.

Has anyone had any recent stays at this property ?

Thanks,

Singlepoint
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Singlepoint
Am looking at a stay this upcoming Fall but there haven't been any reports for almost a year.

Has anyone had any recent stays at this property ?

Thanks,

Singlepoint
Still stay at both the Westin and Sheraton on a regular basis and I would say things are pretty much the same as when I posted my original reviews.

Rooms: I definitely get upgraded on a regular basis at the Sheraton to usually a junior suite or the club level. The hotel has a lot of variety in room types so there is a lot of potential for an upgrade. At the Westin the only thing you can count on is a higher floor room. Its extremely rare to get a suite there as they only have a very few and honestly its not really anything worth getting excited over.

Club Lounge: One nice feature is that the Sheraton has complementary house wine during the cocktail hour which I thought was a nice touch.

Staff: The staff at the Sheraton are also extremely nice and friendly while I consider the Westin staff to be polite but more reserved.

Interesting Aside: Also as an interesting note a lot of the professional teams stay at the Westin. Also some College teams as well. I remember specifically one day riding the elevator with Geovany Soto one day and Derek Lee the next.

Final Notes: I've stayed at all the major hotels in the city except for the Omni William Penn and the new Fairmont. I think the Sheraton and Westin rank as well or better than their competition. Some things are better and some are not as good. They are both solid properties and both worthy of staying in. Neither will wow you (or at least haven't wowed me) but they are what I would expect in a downtown hotel in a city the size of Pittsburgh.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by neo_781
Still stay at both the Westin and Sheraton on a regular basis and I would say things are pretty much the same as when I posted my original reviews.

Rooms: I definitely get upgraded on a regular basis at the Sheraton to usually a junior suite or the club level. The hotel has a lot of variety in room types so there is a lot of potential for an upgrade. At the Westin the only thing you can count on is a higher floor room. Its extremely rare to get a suite there as they only have a very few and honestly its not really anything worth getting excited over.

Club Lounge: One nice feature is that the Sheraton has complementary house wine during the cocktail hour which I thought was a nice touch.

Staff: The staff at the Sheraton are also extremely nice and friendly while I consider the Westin staff to be polite but more reserved.

Interesting Aside: Also as an interesting note a lot of the professional teams stay at the Westin. Also some College teams as well. I remember specifically one day riding the elevator with Geovany Soto one day and Derek Lee the next.

Final Notes: I've stayed at all the major hotels in the city except for the Omni William Penn and the new Fairmont. I think the Sheraton and Westin rank as well or better than their competition. Some things are better and some are not as good. They are both solid properties and both worthy of staying in. Neither will wow you (or at least haven't wowed me) but they are what I would expect in a downtown hotel in a city the size of Pittsburgh.
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. I'm staying with my wife and two children at the Sheraton so it should work well.

Considering my demographics, is there a particular type of room I should try to get ? I'm a Plat. For example, do they have suites with a king bed and then a pull-out sofa for my two children - or are there just rooms with two double beds ?

Thanks for any insights you (or anyone else) can lend.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Singlepoint
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. I'm staying with my wife and two children at the Sheraton so it should work well.

Considering my demographics, is there a particular type of room I should try to get ? I'm a Plat. For example, do they have suites with a king bed and then a pull-out sofa for my two children - or are there just rooms with two double beds ?

Thanks for any insights you (or anyone else) can lend.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
I always stay there alone so I don't pay too much attention but the junior suites are very big and do have a couch in them. I *think* they the pullout kind. If not you could fit a couple roll-away beds in there if you move some of the furniture around.

And I can't comment on double bed rooms as I usually get King rooms.

Overall I think you won't have a problem as they have lots of different sized rooms unless they happen to be oversold/sold-out which is non unusual for Pittsburgh on weekdays in the fall.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.