Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mazzer
What is the best Pittsburgh property if I am visiting Carnegie Melon Univ. ?
Both are downtown, about equidistant from CMU (my undergrad/grad school alma mater), about 4 miles away. Neither is within walking distance, unless you're up for a 3-4 mile walk up and down the hills of the city. CMU is in the Oakland part of the city, and AFAIK there are only three nearby hotels - Residence Inn, Wyndham, Hampton.

If you're dedicated to an SPG property, and don't need to be downtown for business, the Sheraton is probably better for the reasons given above.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:59 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
I prefer the Westin, I can't stand the heating/AC units in the Sheraton. The ones that have a 'hot/cold' dial, and a fan that must be 'ON or OFF'. I can't sleep well with that racket. The rooms were comparable, the location comparable. The 'River Front' is nothing fancy IMO.

I did the Westin one week and tried the Sheraton out for a night before I switched back to the Westin during my 2nd week there.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by mazzer
What is the best Pittsburgh property if I am visiting Carnegie Melon Univ. ?
I too am a proud CMU alum.

There are no SPG hotels near CMU, but there is a nice Wyndham in Oakland as well as a new Courtyard in Shadyside/Friendship (I belive it's on Baum). Additionally, there are some lovely B&Bs/boutique hotels in Shadyside that are a nice walk to campus. PM me if you're interested in more.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Representin' as another proud CMU alum trying to get back to da Boigh...
Do either the Westin or Sheraton have anything special for Platinums (e.g., lounge access)?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I renctly stayed at the Sheraton. I was upgraded to a Jr Suite overlooking the river and downtown, and I received a cupon good for coffee & pastry from the coffee shop in the hotel
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat
cmu alum as well! I prefer station square...beautiful views of the rivers.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
I stay at the Westin all the time and as a Platnium I get upgraded 40% of the time. Two annoying things are that you need to keep your key in the slot to opearte the heater and lights and also that all the sports teams stay there. You see groupies waiting for autographs and there is not much privacy.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: AGR Select +
I'm in Pittsburgh a couple of times a year. I prefer the Westin (actually, I really liked the old Westin) over the Sheraton, perhaps mostly for the location. I would take a taxi to Oakland where my group would have dinner at the old University Club. You must make a stop at the "O" for a hot dog!!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:45 am

I might be going to Pittsburgh during Labor day weekend. Have anybody recently stayed at Westin? Any new comments are welcome.
My main question is about their suites. Are they Junior suites? The hotel info states: "400 Sq Ft Corner Room With Contemporary Decor, Seperate Bedr Oom And Living Areas, And Two Views Of The City. No Sofa" Is there a door separating 2 rooms? is it truly no sofa in a living room?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, HH DIA, MR, UA 1k
Workout room

I'd recommend the Westin workout room on the top floor. The workout room is like a small conference room with a bike and stairclimber. The view is incredible of PNC park - great for when the pirates play. The room has two double beds in the other room.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I would say Sheraton

I am from Pittsburgh and while I have stayed at the Sheraton and not the Westin, I would say the Sheraton simply because of location. The Sheraton is at Station Square (a nice area of restaurants and shops) which is a more pleasant place to be at night. The central city is not exactly the nightlife mecca and many places close. The area around the Sheraton is better to stay. You are close to the inclines to go up the mountain, you can walk across the bridge to downtown, or can take the subway to get there.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:51 am

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Sheraton or Wesin in Pittsbturg?

Hi
I will be spending a couple nights in Pittsburg soon and it looks like my SPG
choices are the Sheraton or the Westin. Has anyone stayed at either of these properties? Which would you reccomend. It looks like the Sheraton
is in a more desirable location. However I read a post (from 2003) that was very down on this Sheraton. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:06 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The Sheraton is across the river from Downtown at a complex of bars & restaurants & some shopping called Station Square. Great for partying without drinking & driving! Not much else in walking distance. No way to avoid their parking fees if U have a car.

The Westin is at the edge of Downtown where it meets the Strip District, which is NOT X-rated gentlemen's clubs but rather a street of restaurants, ethnic grocers, & more bars. More within walking or easy bus distance & a parking garage across the street is free or (only $3 or so?) all night on weekends.

If it's your first visit to Pittsburgh, I recommend at least 1 night in each so U experience both areas.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
The Westin Convention Center is pretty nice. I stayed there in June 07. The Sheraton in station square may be nice, but it's not located downtown in the Burgh. I'd recommend the Westin.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
That would be Pittsburg Penn,

Great information! SPG's description of the 2 hotels would have led me to think that the Sheraton was located in a more desireable area. The Westin was described as being in the "business district". Thanks, and I will look up the thread left by 3Cforme.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.