Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Neues Schloss Privat Hotel Zurich, Autograph Collection, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Neues Schloss Privat Hotel Zurich, Autograph Collection, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Very disappointing stay..

I just moved from adjacent Park Hyatt after 3 nights stay. Wow.. Sheraton Zurich is unbelievably disappointing hotel..

1) Room
Pre-upgraded to executive room two days before check-in, even though there are several junior suite I can see. Upon check-in, I asked one more time, and they said they didn't have any available suite.. But, I could see the junior suite at spg.com.. No more argue, a trainee is doing his job desperately without knowing anything.. Room itself is not that bad, renovated and well maintained regardless of extremely small room size. Anyway, I don't know why they lie to me.. And, from the fact they pre-upgraded me to an executive room, they didn't want to me upgrade to a junior suite in any case.. They should have been more frank to me.. Very disappointed with this issue..

2) Check-in
- No platinum recognition, even they asked my SPG plastic card.. haha..
- No Plat amenity was offered.. I had to ask them.. They said point would be fine, but I'm pretty sure it will be missed..
- No late check-out was asked..
- No explanation for internet..
- No explanation for breakfast..
- Only drink coupon was explained

3) Internet..
I could see wi-fi is available, but there is no option for room number and last name. I called front desk, and a woman immediately replied me she was doing check-in, so she will call back soon. I waited 10min, no call back. I had to wear my clothes and go back to the front desk. Wireless is not working, guest has to pay with credit card.. Sucks.. only wired internet is working.. Anyway I connected internet after 30min waiting. Very slow speed..

4) Breakfast
When I went back to the front desk to ask wi-fi, I slightly complained why I was not explained anything upon check-in. Then, she said sorry, and explained I can have breakfast for free at the restaurant from 7:30am..

5) Free drink coupon
I asked a draft beer. Again, I had to wait to have a cup of beer for 5mins. So many bubbles came out which means the beer is very unfresh.. Indeed, taste was very bad.. I sip once, and just threw away..

6) Restaurant
Closed on Sat/Sun.. wow.. very limited option for room service.. I had to go out to have a dinner.. There are quite good restaurants along Beethoven street (one block away where Park Hyatt locates..)

7) Overall..
I can't believe how this hotel is in category 6 (I know this is based on the price) in the heart of Zurich.. Very poorly managed hotel. It looks like a ghost hotel, comparing super vibrant and active Park Hyatt Zurich, just 2 mins walking distance.. (I agree comparing Park Hyatt to Sheraton is not a good sense..) Anyway, I really regret to stay here.. Hilton ZRH or 4P at Sichcity would be much better choice.. I'm very happy to stay here just for 1 night.. Only good point will be a free breakfast of around 39CHF.. (Breakfast was not so bad.. platinum seats have free champaign exclusively..)

Honestly, this hotel is shame on SPG.. No matter what, I will never come back here..

Last edited by OneWorldTraveller; Jan 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Have a 2 night stay in Zurich with friends and deciding between here and the 4points. This is about 280 chf to the 190 chf at the 4 points.

1. Do they give full breakfast to plats?
2. Which property is closer to a train station?

Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5 Star
I stayed here late last year and had a great 1 night stay. It was the nicest of our European stays in fact.

1) Room
Pre-upgraded via Suite Night Award to a top floor suite. The room was great with large outdoor patio / balcony, great bed, great bathroom. Nice coffee pod maker. The only down side was the air conditioning was marginal, and it was raining outside which hindered open windows. They do have canvas awnings at the windows, but it was windy out so we did not utilize those

2) Check-in
- Platinum recognition, offered the bonus points which I excepted. Discussed free internet and took my $25 SPG Voucher as compensation for their $30 franc parking rate. Very friendly desk agent

3) Internet..
Worked fine, same as most hotels.

4) Breakfast
We did not partake in breakfast, no review.

5) Free drink coupon
We did not use the coupon.

6) Restaurant
Closed on Sat/Sun.. Yes, we were aware of this and made reservations at Opera, a fantastic place with great local seafood.

7) Overall..
Maybe not a category 6, but a good place to stay. Very chic. No complaints

Maybe we just were lucky with our service and room.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
When I was there in Nov, I had to pay for wifi except in lobby. They only had wired Internet in room which seems absurd in this day and age. Also disappoined that even though I was in Switzerland, all I had in my room as a welcome present was a small box of hard lemon gum drops. I was very unimpressed with my 20K pt night.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Recommended?

I've seen mostly poor reviews and a sprinkling of good ones... seems like there was a renovation at some point. Still confused, without regard to price, as to if this is the "go-to" SPG spot in Zurich or the Four Points which is perhaps not so ideally located... or ditch both and go outside the SPG umbrella? Any comments to provide some clarity would be appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
We will be there tomorrow. It didn't occur to me to check this thread first but are there any recent experiences in terms of internet and breakfast?

Seems like I have been upgraded though

Junior suite, non-smoking: King Bed,Non-smoking,269-344 sq ft / 25-32 m, Wi-fi Internet For A Fee, Top Floor, Sitting Area, Terrace Room.
Am I assuming correctly that they have no lounge?

Rate was a prepaid ~280 CHF.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Yes, no lounge.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
No free internet or WiFi in the room either. That will be worth a SPG complaint. In 2013 and with these rates that is unacceptable.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Anyone stay here recently? What is the Plat breakfast amenity?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:23 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I stayed in the Sheraton in January 2014, shortley before the new Sheraton Hotel opened. The hotel was available as SPH Hot Escapes for an quite nice rate (this is Zurich after all) and it was only a few Swiss Francs more expensive than the Four Points. In so far, it was a no brainer for me to book this hotel again.

It is probably one of the smalles Sheraton Hotel and one should even as a SPG Platinum not expect to be upgraded to a suite. What I like is, the small size of the hotel making it somehow boutique style, the free breakfast in additon to the points and the location (especially in summer, I running along the lake and do not need a gym).

I have uploaded two reports on my homepage, one from June 2012 and one from January 2014, but I share the later here as well:

Arrival Date: January 03, 2014
Departure Date: January 05, 2014
Room type booked: Classic room (got Executive)
Rate Plan: SPG Hot Escapes
Room Number: 409
Room Rate: 171.86 CHF (excl. taxes)

Status of Guest Program: Platinum

I arrived at the hotel from the airport using public transportation on a rainy afternoon. I was welcomed in the hotel by the friendly check in agent who retrieved the booking from the system and asked me to see if the details are correct. ID and credit card were verified and I was told that I had been upgraded due to my status with Starwood. Everything was correct and I got the key to my room. I had to ask if breakfast for SPG Platinum was complimentary or if I had to choose this as my Platinum amenity. Also it was not mentioned, if green choice was available.

I was told that the hotel still offered complimentary breakfast to SPG Platinum Members and that green choice was also available. If I would like to participate in green choice, I should hang the sign on the knob of the door indicating that there was no need to clean my room.

I also received a voucher for a free beverage in the lobby bar and also a 15% off voucher for the restaurant.

My room was located on the fourth floor facing the back of the hotel. Rooms facing the back are the quieter compared to those facing Stockerstrasse. The rooms are not very large given the size and the layout of the hotel.

There was no hallway; one was right stepping into the room. The bathroom which was compared to the size of the room large offered bath, sink ad toilet. There was enough space to store the usual utensils and bathroom amenities (lotion, shampoo, shower gel and conditioner) were provide by the hotel in addition to slippers and bathrobe. A hairdryer was mall mounted and a vanity mirror was also available. The sound of the TV/radio could be turned on in the bathroom, so listening to music from the radio was possible while being in the bath.

The showerhead was okay and so was water pressure. The temperature of the water had minor variations in temperature nothing serious and no changes from very hot to very cold, but from warm to not so warm. There was no shower curtain but a glass panel which was a bit too short to avoid water dripping on the floor while taking a shower.

Towels were provided for two people in small, medium and large size, however only one pair of slippers and one bathrobe were available although the booking was made for two persons.

The room featured a king bed on the left side with two bedside tables with a lamp and a reading lamp on each side. A night light on the bottom of the bedside table was also available. On one of the beds was one of the two phones in the room.

Opposite the bed was the desk, which was small, though working with a laptop was possible but not many documents or paper could be placed there as the available space was reduced to the Nespresso machine and the phone on the desk. Nice to have was an international plug socket adapter including Asia, US and UK. The LAN adapter was also available on the desk. The minibar was part of the desk. There was no water kettle.

To the left of the desk was an armchair placed along with a standing lamp.

The closet was located to the right of the desk opposite the entrance to the room. It hosted the in room safe as well as iron and ironing board.

The room was using a contemporary design with warm color like light brown and beige, however it did not have any typical Swiss style design elements like wooden floors, closets or other elements. But Zurich is a city and not an Alpine resort, so the average guest would not except these in Zurich, however I was told that some guests were disappointed not to have an Alpine touch in the room.

I had been in the bar on the first evening and enjoyed two glasses of white wine. The service was very attentive and it was a quiet evening and there were only two other guests in the lobby bar.

Breakfast in the restaurant was also good. The restaurant was also very busy during the visit on Saturday morning and only one member of staff was serving the restaurant. Used dished were cleared regularly and refills of coffee and tea were offered. The buffet was frequently restocked and quality and quantity are very good.

Check out was fast and efficient and a lat check out was given without problems. The folio was correct and printed. The agent was friendly and we chatted a bit about the new Sheraton being opened in a couple of weeks (now open).

The Sheraton Neues Schloss is still one of my favorite hotels in Zurich. The location close to lake Zurich and close to Bahnhofstrae are hard to beat. Unfortunately rates could be quite high but this is Zurich after all. It is a small hotel and it does not offer a lounge or even gym or pool. There are also a small number of suites, so one should not expect to be upgraded to a suite. To me, the ambiance of the hotel and the service is what I like very much. The free breakfast is another advantage and I like to have time for an extended breakfast on the weekend without need to rush.

Picture of the hotel and general information are available on my homepage:
http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/hote...snnschloss.htm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Stayed here recently. Exceptionally friendly front desk, earlier check-in, all Platinum options well explained, upgraded to superior (?) room but not suite.

Took breakfast as plat. benefit, which was excellent (fresh juice brought to the table together with coffee/tea). Afterwards a nice early walk to the nearby Lake Zrich. Also the concert hall (Tonhalle) is very close to the hotel, it's only a few blocks away.

The room was fine (I liked the Nespresso machine). My only issue: I found the rooms very poorly sound-proofed. I often heard noise from the corridor (people entering and exiting their rooms) and even from inside other rooms. Perhaps I was a bit unlucky since there was apparently a large family on my floor, staying in multiple rooms and going back and force between them.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
We stayed at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss back in January and it was a lovely stay. It was on SPG hot escape and the rate was nearly the same as the other Sheraton in town. Upgraded to executive room as SPG platinum, and had breakfast in the restaurant. The breakfast was quite delicious. We were also given two vouchers for drinks at the bar, as well as wifi codes.

You can find the pictures of the executive room and breakfast below

http://viewfromthealtitude.blogspot....oss-hotel.html
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
Stayed here for 2 weekend nights at the beginning of August. We were upgraded to an Executive room and I could see no suites were available. The room was still pretty small but it had a full king size bed - I believe the lower category rooms have smaller doubles .

Overall the stay was fine. Plus points included location (very close to lake and main shopping street). We took a (crazy expensive) taxi to the hotel from the main railway station and a cheap train back from a local station 5 mins walk from the hotel. They also provided an excellent breakfast (free for plats). We had dinner in their restaurant one night and that was good. Finally, all staff seemed very friendly.

Negative points included noise from doors - it seemed we could hear every door closing on our side of the hotel - and the hot rooms over a super hot weekend. In their defense, the hotel front desk explained there is a rule in Switzerland preventing airco units dropping temperatures by more than 5%...or something like that.

We only got one drink voucher as opposed to one each but better than nothing .
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
was looking at the zurich properties for a 5 night family vacation in june....this property is available for 12k points a night while the other 2 are 16k points each....are the other 2 worth an extra 16k points for the 5 night stay????

also, what is the general experience at this property with regards to using snas & your24 benefit????
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yucci18
and had breakfast in the restaurant.
is the breakfast free for plat members or do you need to give up the 500 amenity points????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.