Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Autograph Collection is not exempt from the breakfast benefit...it's not the haughty R-C

It was a great sit-down breakfast that took probably 10 minutes to arrive...it's not a zoo of a Marriott lounge or a RI feeding room
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:01 pm

Hi all,

Booked a last minute trip to Oregon in a few weeks which will have us staying in Portland for two weekend nights. I’m trying to decide between the Hi-Lo or The Nines to spend 50K points/night. I’m Bonvoy Titanium Elite, and also have 10 suite night awards that would be great to redeem. Will be traveling with my wife, and would appreciate a comped breakfast.

Anyone here stay at both and have any strong preference for one or the other?

Thanks!

P.S. — Also have 200K IHG points and an unrestricted free night if there’s an IHG property that is better than these two Bonvoy choices, but based on my quick search, that doesn’t appear to be the case.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by entmodonata
Hi all,

Booked a last minute trip to Oregon in a few weeks which will have us staying in Portland for two weekend nights. I’m trying to decide between the Hi-Lo or The Nines to spend 50K points/night. I’m Bonvoy Titanium Elite, and also have 10 suite night awards that would be great to redeem. Will be traveling with my wife, and would appreciate a comped breakfast.

Anyone here stay at both and have any strong preference for one or the other?

Thanks!

P.S. — Also have 200K IHG points and an unrestricted free night if there’s an IHG property that is better than these two Bonvoy choices, but based on my quick search, that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Living in PDX I haven't stayed at either, but I dine frequently at the Nines (Rooftop drinks at Departure are part of my routine with visitors to PDX) and my first apartment was in a building adjacent to what is now the Hi-Lo. The Nines is in a better location, literally in the heart of Downtown at Pioneer Courthouse square. It's PDX, so being downtown means lots of food choices, homeless folks, coffee shops, and transit options. It's an LC hotel, so breakfast should be offered as a choice amenity on check in. That said, reasonably priced breakfasts abound in the area too.

The Hotel Monaco is an IHG property a couple blocks away. Not an IHG person, so know nothing about their benefits, but it's regarded as a nice hotel.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I found the atrium of the Nines to be very noisy, but the rooms at the time were lovely (not sure if that Tiffany blue is still there and considered "dated"). But great lobby.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM, A+Elite, Marriott Gold
Portland, OR. Marriott Waterfront or City Center

Hi, I will be in Portland for 5 nights. The Waterfront one has the M Club which opens everyday as contrast to the City Center which has the regular lounge closing on weekends.
Regarding the location and in general, which one is better? Please comment if you are familiar with both.
Thank you
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Very dangerous area where the hotel is at due the protests. The hotel security warned us when checking in.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Just wanted to give a shout-out to the CY Downtown/Convention Center. I've stayed here three times now and while I've never been one who needed much from a property, they've always done well by this LTT, sometimes going out of their way, and they're very responsive on in-app chat too.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At Portland City Center this week and let's cut directly to the chase: THEY HAVE COKE PRODUCTS IN THE LOUNGE!!!

I could bore you with trivial other details about the rooms and whatnot but if anyone here needs their morning Diet Coke fix without going to Hilton to get it, this is your hotel.

The hotel is very brand-standard Marriott across the board. No local character to it at all...sort of the opposite of the Hi-Lo, which is very Portland. But with brand-standard comes a lounge, reasonably big rooms, big bathrooms, and probably far fewer quirky rooms than you may not like. (This can happen at the Hi-Lo.)
EdV likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
my quick and dirty on Portland area Marriotts

Been spending 10 nights ( 5 nights every six months ) in Portland for the last 20 years. Alone, on business.

Observations:
Downtown Portland is much more of a zoo these days. I used to like to walk this very walkable city at night ; I still do, but it's not as much fun and I'm more "on alert" than in the past, which kind of sucks the joy out of it. Lots of street people ( very young, too ) and the cops tell me their hands are tied. So the problem grows. Too bad. It's an otherwise lovely city.
Peak traffic is horrific. And if you're not familiar with the grid -- and the streets dedicated to mass transit where you feel like you're caught inside of a pinball machine -- it can be pretty aggravating. Getting to/fro nearby Vancouver in rush hour? Probably the worse traffic I've ever been in. Worse than LA/405.
Downtown properties have really jacked their overnight parking prices. So the last few visits where I've stayed downtown, I've Ubered in from airport ( maybe $40? ) and used same for a few days to get to appointments. Saves on car rental, hotel overnight parking, being in unfamiliar traffic, paying daily city parking rates, etc... If you use Hertz, there is a walkable HLE on Pine and their rates are usually much better than all the adds-ons from PDX.

Marriott Waterfront
Convenient, especially if you want to launch onto I-5 south. But they got too hoity-toity for my tastes a few years back when they did the whole "Redesigned" thing. (I think after the re-design they added an M Lounge). Walked into my room and saw a thin wooden shelf they called a "desk" and I walked back out, switched hotels and left a message with the GM from the Uber to my next hotel. I guess it was a common complaint and they put desks in now, but judging from the web site pics, they aren't much better. So this property is out of the rotation.

Marriott City Center
Hard to find a more central location. Just perfect. Very small lobby. Weird restaurant set-up for breakfast. Rooms are nice. Not "Redesigned" ( as of a few months ago) . Ask for a corner suite for nice views -- or any of the larger rooms on the concierge floor ( 20) . Here's something odd , though : iirc, ALL the toilets are the tiny round seats not elongated., Is there anyone on earth that has a beef with elongated? Was it just poor planning where they needed that extra 2" for door clearance? I dunno. Weird.
Great restaurants are just a walk from here. El Gaucho steakhouse is one block over -- great happy hour. Portland City Grille ( on top of US Bank building -- 30th floor) has twice daily happy hour and best views in Portland and is barely 3 blocks away. Powell's Books is maybe 7 blocks -- best bookstore in America. And the real keeper is just two blocks away -- Rich's ( old school magazine and cigar/pipe shop).. Treat yourself.

The Nines
It's smack in the middle of Protestville, USA. The lobby is kind of cool. Very "place to stay" with the cool set. Has that vibe. I asked for a room check just to see what all the fuss was about. Clerk showed me a room and I think I could have turned on the tv with one hand and flushed the loo with the other. Felt like I was in a dollhouse. Place is trying too hard. No thanks.

The Sentinel
This is a beautiful hotel. Nice, a little understated, which I dig. Did not stay here, but attended an event here and the ballroom was old school and gorgeous. Didn't see a room. Good location.

Residence Inn -- RiverPlace
Spent a few weeks here with my family. Nice. Once you are there, walkable all around for meals and such. Probably the best option if you have kids.

Residence Inn - Pearl District
Newer property. Very close to Powell's Books. That's enough of a selling point right there. And some hip places to eat and drink, I guess. Not my thing.

FI/CY/RI -- Portland North
These properties are all about 15-20 minutes north from downtown Portland . I might advise staying here if you have business in Vancouver, but not if you are in Portland . As stated above, the traffic is horrific. Usually very cheap here. Access to them is a little funky, but just follow GPS. A few little restaurants ( not that great) are clustered just a walk away from hotels. All fairly new properties. Tight parking, all three properties are a stone's throw from each other. Not for the claustrophobic.

Courtyard - City Center
Another prime location, very near good eats. Stayed here maybe 10 years ago. Once. IIRC, it was a converted office building and still had that vibe to it. Maybe I should give it another shot. Definitely out-of-the-box experience. Tight security. The local area can get a little rough at night ( or these days, during the day).

Courtyard - Convention Center/Downtown
OK, this one is a little misleading. Technically, it might be downtown, but it's on the other side ( east) of the Williamette River and even east of I-5. So if you have a gig at the Convention Center, yes, this is probably a good bet. But if you want to stay in downtown Portland, you can do better.

Hi Lo
Looks hip. Never been. Sorry.

Courtyard - Beaverton
OK, this has been my go-to for the last few years. I get a ridiculously low rate, parking is easy and free ( pretty sure). Starbucks, Einstein bagel, Panda AND a FEDEX store 40 yards away. You're also about a mile away, if that, from a decent mall with all sorts of restaurants. Only real drawback, it's near some train tracks and I guess there is some train noise. Has never bothered me. But you definitely need a car if you are staying here.
dgreen12 and markko like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Enginerd
Been spending 10 nights ( 5 nights every six months ) in Portland for the last 20 years. Alone, on business.

Observations:
Downtown Portland is much more of a zoo these days. I used to like to walk this very walkable city at night ; I still do, but it's not as much fun and I'm more "on alert" than in the past, which kind of sucks the joy out of it. Lots of street people ( very young, too ) and the cops tell me their hands are tied. So the problem grows. Too bad. It's an otherwise lovely city.
Peak traffic is horrific. And if you're not familiar with the grid -- and the streets dedicated to mass transit where you feel like you're caught inside of a pinball machine -- it can be pretty aggravating. Getting to/fro nearby Vancouver in rush hour? Probably the worse traffic I've ever been in. Worse than LA/405.
Downtown properties have really jacked their overnight parking prices. So the last few visits where I've stayed downtown, I've Ubered in from airport ( maybe $40? ) and used same for a few days to get to appointments. Saves on car rental, hotel overnight parking, being in unfamiliar traffic, paying daily city parking rates, etc... If you use Hertz, there is a walkable HLE on Pine and their rates are usually much better than all the adds-ons from PDX.

Marriott Waterfront
Convenient, especially if you want to launch onto I-5 south. But they got too hoity-toity for my tastes a few years back when they did the whole "Redesigned" thing. (I think after the re-design they added an M Lounge). Walked into my room and saw a thin wooden shelf they called a "desk" and I walked back out, switched hotels and left a message with the GM from the Uber to my next hotel. I guess it was a common complaint and they put desks in now, but judging from the web site pics, they aren't much better. So this property is out of the rotation.

Marriott City Center
Hard to find a more central location. Just perfect. Very small lobby. Weird restaurant set-up for breakfast. Rooms are nice. Not "Redesigned" ( as of a few months ago) . Ask for a corner suite for nice views -- or any of the larger rooms on the concierge floor ( 20) . Here's something odd , though : iirc, ALL the toilets are the tiny round seats not elongated., Is there anyone on earth that has a beef with elongated? Was it just poor planning where they needed that extra 2" for door clearance? I dunno. Weird.
Great restaurants are just a walk from here. El Gaucho steakhouse is one block over -- great happy hour. Portland City Grille ( on top of US Bank building -- 30th floor) has twice daily happy hour and best views in Portland and is barely 3 blocks away. Powell's Books is maybe 7 blocks -- best bookstore in America. And the real keeper is just two blocks away -- Rich's ( old school magazine and cigar/pipe shop).. Treat yourself.

The Nines
It's smack in the middle of Protestville, USA. The lobby is kind of cool. Very "place to stay" with the cool set. Has that vibe. I asked for a room check just to see what all the fuss was about. Clerk showed me a room and I think I could have turned on the tv with one hand and flushed the loo with the other. Felt like I was in a dollhouse. Place is trying too hard. No thanks.

The Sentinel
This is a beautiful hotel. Nice, a little understated, which I dig. Did not stay here, but attended an event here and the ballroom was old school and gorgeous. Didn't see a room. Good location.

Residence Inn -- RiverPlace
Spent a few weeks here with my family. Nice. Once you are there, walkable all around for meals and such. Probably the best option if you have kids.

Residence Inn - Pearl District
Newer property. Very close to Powell's Books. That's enough of a selling point right there. And some hip places to eat and drink, I guess. Not my thing.

FI/CY/RI -- Portland North
These properties are all about 15-20 minutes north from downtown Portland . I might advise staying here if you have business in Vancouver, but not if you are in Portland . As stated above, the traffic is horrific. Usually very cheap here. Access to them is a little funky, but just follow GPS. A few little restaurants ( not that great) are clustered just a walk away from hotels. All fairly new properties. Tight parking, all three properties are a stone's throw from each other. Not for the claustrophobic.

Courtyard - City Center
Another prime location, very near good eats. Stayed here maybe 10 years ago. Once. IIRC, it was a converted office building and still had that vibe to it. Maybe I should give it another shot. Definitely out-of-the-box experience. Tight security. The local area can get a little rough at night ( or these days, during the day).

Courtyard - Convention Center/Downtown
OK, this one is a little misleading. Technically, it might be downtown, but it's on the other side ( east) of the Williamette River and even east of I-5. So if you have a gig at the Convention Center, yes, this is probably a good bet. But if you want to stay in downtown Portland, you can do better.

Hi Lo
Looks hip. Never been. Sorry.

Courtyard - Beaverton
OK, this has been my go-to for the last few years. I get a ridiculously low rate, parking is easy and free ( pretty sure). Starbucks, Einstein bagel, Panda AND a FEDEX store 40 yards away. You're also about a mile away, if that, from a decent mall with all sorts of restaurants. Only real drawback, it's near some train tracks and I guess there is some train noise. Has never bothered me. But you definitely need a car if you are staying here.
I stayed at the CY Downtown for a conference in 2018. It was nice, and the area was fine. Definitely very close to eats as it is like 1-2 blocks from the food truck lots. I had conference meals so actually didn't partake.
I also stayed at the RI Cascade Station. I loved it. I had my family and they upgraded me to the 2 BR suite on their own. Kids loved all the space. The metro stop is right outside the hotel, but we had a car and so we ended up driving to most places. Did decide to take the train to OMSI but it did take awhile, but the kids had fun on the train and not having to drive was nice.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:00 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed at Marriott Portland Waterfront, and occupancy rate was apparently 5%. They asked me what time would be best for room service, but didn't get any room service throughout my entire stay (3 days). Due to the low occupancy, they allowed a 10AM check in time. Allowed an item from the pantry as there is no breakfast (I didn't clarify if that was per day or not). Food options are all outside of the hotel. The staff were all amazing and the customer service here is still excellent.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:35 pm

Any particular thoughts on Residence Inn Pearl District vs Riverplace? Quick 2 day stop on the way to camping with P2, well-behaved dog and myself. Planning on limitedly exploring the city (will have a rental car) with a focus on hiking, hood river and sampling breweries. Marriott gold, though will meet stay requirement for platinum at the end of this stay. Will visit the Multnomah Whiskey Library and potentially Powells books, though I doubt we spend more than a few minutes there. Appreciate any input!
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I should probably give a shout-out to the SHS Portland Airport- I've been here 4-5 times since March and the staff's been excellent, in the face of it all.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Pearl District >>>>> Riverplace for location, can't comment on the properties
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:11 am

Sounds great. Somehow parking and dog fees work out to be comparable and currently my reservation for PD is slightly less $$$ than riverplace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.