Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JLSocks
Sometimes that matters to me. I'm currently leaning towards the CC due to the breakfast/lounge access and it being slightly cheaper than the AC, but aesthetically, I like the AC more.
If it means that much to you, split your stay between the two and let us know what you found.

David
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Lounge ?

Do any of the properties in Portland have a Lounge besides the Marriott Waterfront and the City Center?

Using public transport so would the CC be the best location of the two?

Wife has MR Gold Elite status. Will that get us into the Lounge at THE NINES in Sept?

Last edited by philemer; Jul 17, 2018 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by philemer
Do any of the properties in Portland have a Lounge besides the Marriott Waterfront and the City Center?

Just those two on the Marriott side, I dont know anything about the Starwood properties. The Waterfront has a much nicer lounge with nicer food but City Centers location cant be beat for public transit access. Youll have to decide which you care about more. If youre open to biking around the city instead (there are cheap BIKETOWN bikes everywhere) then I would definitely pick the waterfront because you have easy access to the bike paths along the water.

Wife has MR Gold Elite status. Will that get us into the Lounge at THE NINES in Sept?
Yes, assuming the new program arrives on time.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by getagb

Just those two on the Marriott side, I dont know anything about the Starwood properties. The Waterfront has a much nicer lounge with nicer food but City Centers location cant be beat for public transit access. Youll have to decide which you care about more. If youre open to biking around the city instead (there are cheap BIKETOWN bikes everywhere) then I would definitely pick the waterfront because you have easy access to the bike paths along the water.

Yes, assuming the new program arrives on time.
Thanks for the reply. Will think about the options. ^
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

MR Gold will be new MR Plat so that would be good for lounge access there

I loved the Hi-Lo personally...no lounge but more boutique feeling
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
MR Gold will be new MR Plat so that would be good for lounge access there

I loved the Hi-Lo personally...no lounge but more boutique feeling
Thanks for the feedback.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Considering a family trip to Portland with my 3 year old kiddo later this month. Looking at Waterfront, Hi-Lo hotel, or the City Center. Any one better or worse for families? I"m guessing none have lounges open on Friday nights or weekends? Any best breakfast offerings for a Platinum? Also have some Suite Night Awards so if any have great upgrade options that would be a plus too. Will be driving in so won't need public transit. Would be nice to be able to walk to a kid friendly dinner. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mikelat; Mar 10, 2019 at 12:30 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:21 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by mikelat
Considering a family trip to Portland with my 3 year old kiddo later this month. Looking at Waterfront, Hi-Lo hotel, or the City Center. Any one better or worse for families? I"m guessing none have lounges open on Friday nights or weekends? Any best breakfast offerings for a Platinum? Also have some Suite Night Awards so if any have great upgrade options that would be a plus too. Will be driving in so won't need public transit. Would be nice to be able to walk to a kid friendly dinner. Thanks in advance!
I've stayed at Marriott City Center, CY City Center, Residence Inn Pearl District, Hi-Lo and the Nines.

I liked Hi-Lo. Good location, food stalls and restaurants very close, and just good overall hotel. Rooms are unique.
Marriott City Center was very tired and not worth it unless you have a cheap rate. Maybe they have remodeled the last year or two? Stay at the CY around the corner if you need to stay in the City Center. Better rooms, and there's a diner attached to the lobby that definitely has kid friendly items (although most restaurants fit this bill).
Never stayed at Waterfront, but some people seem to like it. If lounge is important others said it has the better of them.

All of these hotels will be $40-50/night to park. Maybe check out something further from downtown if you have a car? I typically stay by light rail, but that's because I like to drink my weight in craft beer and not deal with a car. Also even if you are driving parking is a pain since the city is exploding right now. Might want to consider train and bus as they are very good and cheap.

Might want to check out the Residence Inn Pearl District as well. Good location and possibly larger rooms if your family is more than 2-3.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hi-Lo had a great Plat breakfast in the restaurant - better IMO than any lounge

Try one of the endless SmartPark options around town. Think overnight parking on the streets was free too when I was there.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I haven't stayed there, but the Residence Inn on the River has an indoor pool and is right on the river for kids to run around, plus the extra space most RI's provide.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I haven't stayed there, but the Residence Inn on the River has an indoor pool and is right on the river for kids to run around, plus the extra space most RI's provide.
That might make it a front runner. I've been informed I should try to find a hotel with a pool for our kiddo on this trip. The Waterfront had seemed interesting as our kid love to run/walk so I figured having the trail could give us an easy way to do that. The RI may fit that bill as well. Just likely means my wife will miss out on her preference for the nice Plat (well, apparently Titanium now) breakfast benefits.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Looking at it more closely it seems a bit isolated.

I'm down to either the RI in the Pearl District to get a pool or going with the Hi-Lo or Marriott Waterfront. Will let the wife decide on which seems more appealing to her.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Residence Inns offer full breakfast daily, if breakfast is important to your wife.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hi-Lo had a great Plat breakfast in the restaurant - better IMO than any lounge

Try one of the endless SmartPark options around town. Think overnight parking on the streets was free too when I was there.
When was this? I didn't think Autograph Collection hotels gave breakfast to Plats.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Just as a flip-side to all of the recommendations on Hi-Lo.. I've never had a great experience there. It's hard to explain because I can't point out one major let down (perhaps the rooms aside), but the compendium of experiences always leaves me dissatisfied.

As some examples - the valet is annoying if you get back there late or leave early (the front desk agent is the valet). Despite being an Ambassador and paying relatively high room rates I've been put into some very tiny and dumpy rooms (including ones where the bed is literally about 12 inches of the door). Less pressing but other annoyances include no green choice option, always charging the wrong card (even when making it clear what card I want charged), and thermostats hard-locked to a 68 degree minimum with no way to override like you can with most thermostats. The hand soaps ("custom made" for the hotel) are also a little too fragrant for my taste.

I've never had the breakfast (which they do offer) as it is not a buffet option so I always fear it will take too long to eat (plus it doesn't start until 6:30 AM I believe - which is too late for my tastes, especially when combined with the uncertainty from the sit-down ordering).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.