Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Go for W or Le Meridien. I wanted to try the Sheraton 2 weeks ago but walked because the rooms smelled horrible (I had a look at 3 different ones).

The aloft was nice but... well it's still an aloft.
Both are way overpriced - especially the W, which I used to frequent on a regular basis before they grew too big for their britches. I stay at the Sheraton now, and I've never encountered a strange smelling room, and the location is much better than the Westin.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I'll be in Taipei landing on sunday morning with 24 hours layover to connect to my next flight to the US (personal trip).

Any recommended properties to stay on points? I have stayed at Four Points (as a Gold), Westin (as a Gold), and the W before.

Currently looking at Westin (12K) and Four Points (4K). W (20K), Le Mridien (25K), and Sheraton (16K) unfortunately are expensive on points. Aloft (10K) is out since I rather spend 2K more points at the Westin for the Club Lounge benefits.

Wonder if there are any laundry benefits if staying at the Westin. Leaning towards Westin for the Club Lounge/upgrade benefit (if any) and central location as opposed to the Four Points. Though I'm alright staying at the Four Points as well.
My parents stayed at Aloft recently and said the included breakfast is ok. It is also near a metro station. But that said, between your choices and wanting to stay on points, I would stay at the Westin, though I don't believe there is a laundry benefit. the 4P is a little out of the way IMO.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Both are way overpriced - especially the W, which I used to frequent on a regular basis before they grew too big for their britches. I stay at the Sheraton now, and I've never encountered a strange smelling room, and the location is much better than the Westin.
I guess what one defines as 'strange' but for myself I'd say any room that just smells like old carpet and furniture has an uncomfortable feel to it.

We all stayed in such hotels before, the Sheraton Great Wall Beijing is a similar case and Considering how much the TPE properties charge (12k for the Sheraton Grande) I'd happily pay an extra 8k and stay at W.

In the end I decided to stay at the brand new aloft just because I wanted to try it. Great property but with 10k per night for this brand I seriously ask myself if SPG is now completely out of their mind.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:13 pm

There is absolutely no strange smell about the rooms at the Sheraton. It's a perfectly comfortable , exceptionally well maintained hotel. The Westin is good, so is Le Meridien. The W was good for about a year but became so twee and pretentious, probably more in respect of the crowd it attracts rather than by design, that it's the worst option ( as well as insanely overpriced for what it is).
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I did want to try the LM but at 25k starpoints (Cat 6 peak) it's a bit steep.

W seems to be always crowded so upgrades may not happen. Will settle for the Westin I guess..
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: JGC premier
I had a wonderful stay at W Taipei recently and would recommend it in a heartbeat. as SPG gold (and having mu birthday during the stay) I was upgraded from wonderful room to spectacular room on the highest floor overlooking Taipei 101. Great benefit even for lowly gold like me, with free fiji water per day of stay, and free drink during happy hour at the bar. Got a birthday cake delivered too. Staff were very friendly and proactively helpful. Can't fault a thing, one of the best stays at SPG properties i've had in a while.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Smells in Sheraton Taipei

I wanted to try the Sheraton 2 weeks ago but walked because the rooms smelled horrible (I had a look at 3 different ones).
Originally Posted by paolo64
There is absolutely no strange smell about the rooms at the Sheraton.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I stay at the Sheraton now, and I've never encountered a strange smelling room.
Unfortunately, skywalkerLAX is right. The sewer pipes connecting the guest bathrooms in suites XX50 and XX51 (facing the glass elevators) have been partially blocked for many years. Even though these are nice diplomatic suites, sometimes the smells are very noticeable especially if no one occupied the room the night before. The smell problem is not limited to these two rooms, in fact most rooms on the south side of the buildings are affected. The major renovation completed around 2006 did not completely replaced the old plumbings, partial blocking in some rooms occur occasionally (and more frequently in some rooms). The rooms on the south side (across from both the west and the east elevators, which are on the north side) are exposed to strong sunshine, the heat accumulated in an un-occupied room easily exacerbates whatever smell from moisture in the room. If the room smells, turn on the aircon for several hours might alleviate the problem.

Another issue that used to be more common but much less so now is that some guests smoke in the rooms. Sheraton is the only one among the Taipei *W hotels that have this problem, because no one else take in large tour groups, many of them from mainland China. Thanks to the efforts of the staff, the smoking incidents are rare now.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Apr 23, 2016 at 4:14 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by illico
My parents stayed at Aloft recently and said the included breakfast is ok. It is also near a metro station. But that said, between your choices and wanting to stay on points, I would stay at the Westin, though I don't believe there is a laundry benefit. the 4P is a little out of the way IMO.
I stayed at the Aloft multiple times after it opened, mainly for its location. It is just a few blocks from the freeway entrance that goes straight to the airport. I would be able to leave at 8:30am for a 10am flight (on a Monday morning). Having said that, if you intend to use the rail, then it is another story (although the hotel is less than 10mins from Taipei station or a few MRT stops from it). The hotel is less than 5 minutes walk from the MRT.

However, you have to choose either 250 points or breakfast as your Platinum benefit if you want to use points. The breakfast is fine with made to order eggs, sausage, soup, congee, breads, cold-cuts, juice, coffee machine etc.

I personally think their opening offer rate is a great deal: double starpoints + breakfast included at 4500++ TWD.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Yeah it's up to the property owner, maybe no takeup in Kaoshiung area?
Maybe they should try the Tribute Portfolio concept at Kaoshiung.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Hello!
As a lowly gold, which of the following TP properties is better in terms of treatment (e.g. Upgrafre/possible breakfast offer)

W/ LM/ Sheraton/ Westin

Btw this is my 2nd visit with a senior parent. Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by kikid
Hello!
As a lowly gold, which of the following TP properties is better in terms of treatment (e.g. Upgrafre/possible breakfast offer)

W/ LM/ Sheraton/ Westin

Btw this is my 2nd visit with a senior parent. Thanks!
As a gold, none of them.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:29 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
As a gold, none of them.
That's not true. No hotel will give you free breakfast, but the W has a happy hour for Plats and Golds. Great drinks in a pleasant space. I don't know of any SPG hotel anywhere that gives significant benefits to Golds, so I'd say this is pretty sweet. Of course given the rate difference between W and Westin/Sheraton, you might very well be able to book outright a club room (or higher category room with breakfast) there for the price of a base room at the W.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
Some buddies and I will be passing through next weekend. I'm a plat. In terms of nightlife - Bars, restaurants - what would be the best choice? I know the 101 area is very touristy per se... would prefer something a bit more local or mixed...

Appreciate the help!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jchacko2
Some buddies and I will be passing through next weekend. I'm a plat. In terms of nightlife - Bars, restaurants - what would be the best choice? I know the 101 area is very touristy per se... would prefer something a bit more local or mixed...

Appreciate the help!
You will want to stay at the W or Le Meridien. They are in the club / bar area. Walking distance to ATT4FUN, where most of the higher clubs are.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Sheraton because its 2017

Considering how much the TPE properties charge (12k for the Sheraton Grande) I'd happily pay an extra 8k and stay at W.
This point is worth emphasizing. For a November stay, the Sheraton on points is the best way to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.