Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Chris,

Thanks for the pictures.

Right now for us its a toss up between this property and Phuket.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Have any of you checked out the "Beachfront Villa" at this resort? Wehave the option of paying an upgrade charge (we're using points for rooms) to a Pool Villa or a Beachfron Villa.

I haven't seen too much information on the Beachfront ones. You do get a "private pool" but it looks like all the Beachfront Villas share the same private pool

The GM will give me either one, I'm just trying to go for the best possible accomodations.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:53 am

Beach, Bathroom & Store in Renaissance

Originally Posted by haveric
I stayed in a pool villa (when I visited the deluxe rooms were all closed for renovations). The villa had 3 seperate areas -- a bathroom w/ a huge shower / tub; the bedroom, and a den-like area w/ tv and couch. Also outside was the pool and several chairs, table.

If you have particular questions, feel free to PM me or post them here.
Just wondering what the bathroom is like inside the villa. It says that there is a sunken bath/shower - does this mean that the shower is part of the bath or is there a seperate shower unit?

Also wondering if it's possible to have a massage on the beach at the Renaissance. It souds like it's a private beach so the answer is probably no, but are there masseurs on the beach next to the hotel? We will probably use the spa at some point but would also like a cheap option too.

And finally - is there a convenience store anywhere near by the hotel which sells juice, beer, crisps and the like or will we have to go into Lamai for that?

Thanks Folks
Regards
Miss Simmers
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Miss Simmers
Just wondering what the bathroom is like inside the villa. It says that there is a sunken bath/shower - does this mean that the shower is part of the bath or is there a seperate shower unit?

Also wondering if it's possible to have a massage on the beach at the Renaissance. It souds like it's a private beach so the answer is probably no, but are there masseurs on the beach next to the hotel? We will probably use the spa at some point but would also like a cheap option too.

And finally - is there a convenience store anywhere near by the hotel which sells juice, beer, crisps and the like or will we have to go into Lamai for that?

Thanks Folks
Regards
Miss Simmers
Cannot answer the question of the bathroom in the villas; for the massages: no I haven't seen any massage options near the beach.. it was really empty there... (but it was low season, as said before, maybe will change in high season).

Yepp, there's a small shop with everything just 5 minutes walk from the hotel (in the same small street which leads to the hotel from the main road), and also an internet caf just next door to the shop. And a laundry, too, if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:53 am

Thanks Folks
Regards
Miss Simmers
The shower is part of the bath, but it is very large, and ours had a window (w/ a shade) open to some private foliage outside the villa. I have photos I can look up at home, if you're interested.

I did not see any option for a massage on the beach -- it's a fairly quiet area at the very top of Lamai. There are a few cheaper resorts to the south that might have more affordable options, however.

As Chris said, there are several small shops on the small road that connects the hotel to the main Koh Samui ring road.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:00 am

The shower is part of the bath, but it is very large, and ours had a window (w/ a shade) open to some private foliage outside the villa. I have photos I can look up at home, if you're interested.

I did not see any option for a massage on the beach -- it's a fairly quiet area at the very top of Lamai. There are a few cheaper resorts to the south that might have more affordable options, however.

As Chris said, there are several small shops on the small road that connects the hotel to the main Koh Samui ring road.
Haveric,

Thanks for the info - I would really like to see your photos if that's possible especially if have any of the bathroom and the villa pool. The open window near the shower sounds refreshing...as long as the wildlife doesn't get in! We had gekko's and large beetles in our bathroom at the sala which didn't go down too well!
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I did not see any option for a massage on the beach -- it's a fairly quiet area at the very top of Lamai.
When we were there a few weeks ago, there were ladies who came walking down the beach offering massages. I declined, so I don't know what they were charging (maybe negotiable). One couple did have the ladies give them a massage and from what I could tell, they seemed to be enjoying it.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Richard1148
When we were there a few weeks ago, there were ladies who came walking down the beach offering massages. I declined, so I don't know what they were charging (maybe negotiable). One couple did have the ladies give them a massage and from what I could tell, they seemed to be enjoying it.
Hi Richard1148,

Thanks for that bit of hope. Did you have a good time at the renaissance? What type of accomodation did you stay in?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have any experience with the Beachfront Villa at the Renaissance? We're planning on booking for our honeymoon (points + upgrade fee)!

If you have any photos or any links to photos, that would be GREATLY appreciated!

- Marc
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:43 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Hi Richard1148,

Thanks for that bit of hope. Did you have a good time at the renaissance? What type of accomodation did you stay in?
We had a great time. My wife is ready to go back. We were on a reward stay and were upgraded from a regular room to a deluxe, which had a jaccuzzi tub outside. We were on the 4th floor and there are plenty of trees plus you could lower shades if you wanted to for more privacy if you used the jacuzzi. Inside there was only a shower, which had a window that you could look out at the sea. The bedroom was adequate size, there was plenty of closet space and there was a minbar with enough extra room to put your own drinks in which we bought from the mini-mart type store down the road.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Can anyone comment on Platinum amenities.

Upgrades to 1 bedroom villas?

Is the breakfast comp?

Are there spa specials?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:13 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Koh Samui Rennaisance

Has anyone stayed at the Koh Samui Rennaisance? We have booked a pool villa and from the website it looks really nice.

If anyone has some practical tips or suggestions as to where to dine, and things to do it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has stayed in one of these villas, are some in a better location than others and if so, which room numbers should we request.

Cheers in anticipation.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Has anyone stayed at the Koh Samui Rennaisance? We have booked a pool villa and from the website it looks really nice.

If anyone has some practical tips or suggestions as to where to dine, and things to do it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has stayed in one of these villas, are some in a better location than others and if so, which room numbers should we request.

Cheers in anticipation.

I came back from the Koh Samui Renaissance one week ago. I agree that the website looks nice, though not all photos are 100% true (at least during different parts of the day). The first and most important is the beach. It is impossible to swim during low tide (there is not water at all, only rocks). We had to take taxis and go to Chaweng beach (20 minutes ride, 300 THB-8 USD) to swim.

I have stayed in a deluxe room. The rooms are located in a building at the back of the hotel. Room is ok, with a Jacuzzi. There are two pools, one near the building with deluxe rooms (simple, 50 m long); second (as on photos) near villas and beach.

You might be a bit surprised by food selection (only 2 restaurants). Food is ok, though not that great. Actually, I liked the most the room service :-). Breakfast is good. I had dinner maybe twice in the hotel and during other days I went outside (to Chaweng beach) for meals. Excellent sea food: (lobster - 1500 THB per kilo (40 USD)).

What I hated the most in the hotel are the walls. You have walls everywhere. The whole territory is divided into plots for villas, and all villas are separated by huge walls. I did not like to walk on the territory of the hotel at all.

I have a gold card in Marriott. For that I have received only free breakfast. No upgrades. Maybe because I have stayed for points during the whole period. The cost of the deluxe room was 200 USD. I am very sorry for people who are cashing out so much money per room/per night in that hotel. It is not worth it.

I have walked the whole Chaweng beach, and I liked it much more. There are some good hotels over there: like Central Samui. Plus, you have a variety of restaurants nearby, if you are tired of hotel food.

Overall, Renaissance Koh Samui hotel is pretty average. Far, far away from the quality and service of Marriott Resort and Spa in Bangkok, where I have stayed before.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lkm098
Overall, Renaissance Koh Samui hotel is pretty average. Far, far away from the quality and service of Marriott Resort and Spa in Bangkok, where I have stayed before.
From the reviews, seems like the JW Marriott in Phuket provides a WAY better experience. I have stayed at over 10 JWs (and heaven knows how many regular Marriotts and Renaissances as well)--and still marvel at the beauty and outstanding service we experienced at the JW Marriott Phuket this past January.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert
From the reviews, seems like the JW Marriott in Phuket provides a WAY better experience. I have stayed at over 10 JWs (and heaven knows how many regular Marriotts and Renaissances as well)--and still marvel at the beauty and outstanding service we experienced at the JW Marriott Phuket this past January.
I totally agree with travelexpert. I have stayed as well in JW Marriott in Phuker this February and it was much better than my recent August stay in Renaissance in Koh Samui.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.