Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
West India Quay - standards continue to slip

We have been staying at the hotel for 10 years now, average about 30 nights a year here, all for leisure purposes. Sadly standards just keep on dropping and despite me letting one of the Directors know of my dissatisfaction nothing is done or I am met with excuses.
Here are some things that I am sick of:

Towels and facelcothes being washed in the washing machines provided for guests. I am sure this shouldn't happen. It is NOT hygienice as anyone can touch the stuff and who knows what else goesin those machines. The towels need to be washed at a high temperature. No wonder I have a towel with black marks on it in my room. I have told them about this and was informed it happened once because the main washing machine was out of action! It is out of action everytime I come then!!!

Cigarette butts all over the stairs where is is clearly marked no smoking.

Executive Lounge - I know it is just after Christmas but surely a good manager would make sure they didn't run out of coffee cup lids! Hence spilt drinks everywhere. Everytime we come we cannot believe they think that you can chill a bottle of lager of wine by placing it in a warm state on top of ice. The ice should be in water and hey presto the drinks chill in 10 mins. Why is it lower level hotels havea fridge with lager and wine stored in that is unlcoked come 5.30? Other items disappear for days and I know it sounds petty but I am only here a short while and don't want to wait all week for them to come in.

TVs in the gym. Well after I complained about 5 years ago they were finally fixed and I could happily watch TV and workout. Go today and they are not even tuned in, despite having stickers on all the cabling saying they had all recently been checked for safety (but not to make sure they functioned).

The room we are staying in is great, but no face/wash clothes (though not sure I want to use them) missing some toiletries.

Restaurant for breakfast - who thought that putting the fruit and yoghurt selection at a height of about 4.5 foot was a good idea I don't know. Even Mr 6 foot 2 can't see what he is doing. Then there is the appalling dried up bacon and the cooked tomatoes that are sour rather than sweet.

It just amazes me that we seem to know more about catering than they do and neither of us has worked in the industry before! Mr SP is a bit of an expert in the kitchen at home and he is just appalled by the level of competence.

Still, they are a 5 star establishment (as I was once told) so I guess this is what 5 star means ....
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold
Excellent Choice in London

Just got back from a stay right before the holidays. Excellent choice for business and leisure in London. Great Elite recognition (As a Platinum, I was upgraded to a suite with Lounge Access - Excellent lounge). Great rate and right on the DLR (connects to the tube) and can get you anywhere in London. The trick is to try to be back before midnight because the Tube shuts down at that point and you have to take a taxi which could run you a lot of money.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Stayed in one of the executive level rooms (7th floor) last week. I stay here 2-3 times a year and was pleased to see that the room had a new bed, new desk (under the TV now rather than awkwardly sticking out from the wall before) and a chaise lounge by the window.

Looks much fresher and even though not a full refurb is enough to lift the room from being a bit drab and tired.

A major plus is that the room seemed to have been re-wired - there are now plug sockets next to the bed with integrated USB sockets for charging devices. Fantastic to no longer need to run an extension cable across the floor!

Always liked the common areas and breakfast in the restaurant, so lifting the standard in the rooms slightly brings the rooms more up to par with the rest of the hotel.

The one thing that jumps out as something which could probably be fixed pretty easily given there is already properly integrated AC in each room (and is a surprising omission of the electrical work in the rooms)... why isn't it thermostatically controlled? The weird rotary dial with manual fan speed and temperature setting is a bit odd and old hat.

Does anyone know if the 7th floor exec lounge will get a refresh at any stage?

Last edited by PeterNem; Sep 9, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

You should have asked your question re: exec lounge refresh when you were at the property

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:23 pm

Yes - unfortunately it only occurred to me after I'd left. I've already got another stay booked but not until December. I'll make sure to ask then!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:09 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by PeterNem
............Does anyone know if the 7th floor exec lounge will get a refresh at any stage?
WIQ is our London hotel of choice too.

When the 7th floor was closed, we had a conversation with staff about the lounge, and they told us that there were no plans to refresh the lounge. Other floors will be done now that the seventh is completed.

To be fair, I don't think the lounge needs a refresh, it is fine as it is.

Nick
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:45 am

Thanks - agree that the lounge isn't really in need, just wondered if they might do something having spruced up the rooms. My only minor gripe is the layout of the tables/chairs and sometimes the lack of vacant tables when it's busy but many spare chairs at tables occupied by a single person. Not really sure what else they could do with the layout of the space though.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:55 pm

I am looking to book a room at this property using my employer's corporate rate. The only room types that are available are King but I will be traveling with my husband and 2 kids. I do have Gold Status with Marriott, what are the chances that I can be upgraded to a room with two beds or will they allow two roll away beds once I'm there? Traveling 15JUL to 19JUL.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by marysia
I am looking to book a room at this property using my employer's corporate rate. The only room types that are available are King but I will be traveling with my husband and 2 kids. I do have Gold Status with Marriott, what are the chances that I can be upgraded to a room with two beds or will they allow two roll away beds once I'm there? Traveling 15JUL to 19JUL.
Email them. They were very flexible with me in the past (though I ended up choosing a different hotel).
marysia likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:43 pm

Any idea on an email address? I needed to contact them recently and couldn't find one anywhere.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PeterNem
Any idea on an email address? I needed to contact them recently and couldn't find one anywhere.
[email protected] worked for me in 2015.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
I think this place is now called London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf.
Anyone been there recently ?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, DL Medallion, MR Plat
I was there in July

Upper floors of building are executive apartments, lower floors the hotel. They have separate lounges, but share an Elevator.

Rooms were nice, lounge has a good afternoon selection of drinks/snacks.
Plat and above can get breakfast in the restaurant (full English buffet, plus cook to order eggs)

Very convenient location if you day travels keep you on the DLR (station is right next to hotel), about 8-10 min walk to the Canary Wharf station
Decent selection of restaurants close by, huge selection within 15 min walk.

I chose the location mainly for easy access to my activities which mostly in Eastern London. If you are doing lots of stuff in City, West End etc, its not as convenient
Most of the weekday guest are Canary Wharf area business travelers
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
Originally Posted by bresnab
Very convenient location if you day travels keep you on the DLR (station is right next to hotel), about 8-10 min walk to the Canary Wharf station.
Stayed there 3 times so far and I have to say that it might be an 8-10 min walk on paper but it doesn't feel that way in practicality. Sometimes it feels like its over just as fast as it started. When it is quiet in the area on weekends, you feel a bit fresher air and it is like a more leisurely enjoyable stroll.

There's something about that location that makes me enjoy it every single time.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:06 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Just a warning in this COVID period.
The Marriott is still accepting reservations but you are moved to the Executive Apartments, so everyone gets a suite which is great.
BUT, you only earn 2.5 points points per $, and need to stay three nights to get one nights stay credit.
(No restaurants open on property - Breakfast is room service and pre-ordered from the front desk.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.