Cockroach in the room

Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
I notice a lot of people mentioning tropical climates and cockroaches being inevitable. Imo this is complete BS. I have been traveling extensively in all of Asia and Middle East and stayed in luxury hotels (JW/Ren and upwards) and never encountered a cockroach in the room or on the property. Perhaps I’m a bit over the top but if I saw roaches I would not be able to relax so my only option would be to check out.
I highly recommend you do not move somewhere tropical.
rick253 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Your picture and description is so good I have to repost it in a quote. I've stayed there and know that outdoor bath. How did they get rid of it?

My only interesting insect story (I wouldn't bother calling the front desk about a single cockroach - I'd just kick it out of the room) was in a place in Salvador, Brazil, when I woke in the semi-darkness to find a huge 6" cricket/stick insect/similar on the pillow about 3" from my face. I assume it was as startled as I was. After calming down, I carried the pillow to the corridor and shook it off. It was gone in the morning.

They're only insects and despite not paying as much as us they do have some rights to a good night's sleep too without fear of being gassed/squashed/suffocated...
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
SNIP
Only other run in with a sketchy bug was at the Naka Island Luxury collection 2 years ago. I found a 3+in scorpion waiting for me in the stone soaking tub "clicking" upset late one evening. SNIP
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
I notice a lot of people mentioning tropical climates and cockroaches being inevitable. Imo this is complete BS.
Yet. ha ha ha ha.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I would ask someone to come kill it and... that is about it. Maybe move rooms if they can't find it. The tropics have these kinds of bugs everywhere. One of my homes sometimes does too. Get over it. I have had these bug stories:

1) found a palm sized spider in my villas at the then LM Khao Lak in Thailand. Called for help. They came and killed it. Turned out to be highly poisonous. Never even considered to ask for compensation.

2) found a gigantic scorpion in our villa at Singita in South Africa. They came and trapped it. Became a great story and fond memory within the family.

I used to live in the Philippines when I was young and dirt poor. One time I found and killed 27 of the flying cockroaches in the home I rented. 27! Like the ones you used to see in fear factor.

If you visit the tropics you will find bugs. If you don't consider yourself lucky. If you can't stand them, you probably shouldn't visit the tropics in the first place. If they give you any compensation be thankful. If they don't don't worry about it. I've been bitten by cockroaches and am still living.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by acrophobia

I spend quite a bit of time in Asia and know exactly what you mean. We have them in NYC too. The eggs are tiny, and wouldnt be easily detectable in your luggage.
Cockroach pods (they're not eggs) are pretty freakin' huge. No chance to miss.

Ive never complained for a single roach but if I ever found a pod, full or empty, I sure would!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I think I'm the only person who travels with an arsenal of insect control products I carry at least 4 catchmaster glue traps, a 3 oz bottle of concentrated premethrin , small bottle of 99% deet and a 2oz bottle of Terro liquid ant killer (which is the bomb). I expect the worse no matter what hotel I use, and spray the mattress and bathroom with permethrin and put down a glue traps or two.

I've caught bugs!

These items all fit in my personal carry on item and inside my 311 pouch. Never travel without them. In addition to a hotel already having insect infestation problems, guest bring along insects that hop along for a ride in their luggage which accounts for bed bugs unfortunately.
I'm so happy to be blissfully clueless of the bug infestations that I must have been subjected to in all my years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.