Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Another vote for the Grand, both for the hotel itself and also the location.

If you will be dining before the opera, I'd recommend Otium, which is next to the Broad Museum (on your path from hotel to the Music Center). The executive chef is the former sous chef at the Frennch Laundry).

Assume you're going to Boheme; if so I hope you get one of the performances conducted by "The Dude".
We're going to Boheme on May 14. Unfortunately Otium is booked for that night, but thanks for the recommendation! Looks like we might try Sugarfish instead.

I'm still trying to get past my sense that the hotel and the neighborhood is more business-y and sterile. It sounds like you guys don't find it that way, though....
Old May 7, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by porciuscato
We're going to Boheme on May 14. Unfortunately Otium is booked for that night, but thanks for the recommendation! Looks like we might try Sugarfish instead.I'm still trying to get past my sense that the hotel and the neighborhood is more business-y and sterile. It sounds like you guys don't find it that way, though....
As more people moved downtown (both renovated buildindgs and new construction) the sense of a dead area after business hours began to change.

Too bad about Otium. Sugarfisf (from the infamous "sushi nazi") is good and the set meals make ordering easy. Another place to try maybe for lunch is the B.S. Taqueira which is just a block further down the street from Sugarfish. It is the more casual sister of the more elaborate Broken Spanish.

The Dude will be in Salzburg conducting West Side Story, so you will get another conductor for your performance. But you should get Nino Machiadze as Mimi, who I think is quite good.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by porciuscato
We're going to Boheme on May 14. Unfortunately Otium is booked for that night, but thanks for the recommendation! Looks like we might try Sugarfish instead.

I'm still trying to get past my sense that the hotel and the neighborhood is more business-y and sterile. It sounds like you guys don't find it that way, though....
A couple of other nearby restaurant recommendations:

Takami (Rooftop Sushi/Robata @ Wilshire/Flower)
Chaya @ 6th/Fig
Faith & Flower @ 9th/Flower
Perch @ 5th/Hill (little farther away, but trendy rooftop scene)

If you're into whiskey, there is a great bar called 7 Grand (on 7th between grand and Olive). Inside that bar is the "back bar" ... sort of a speakeasy called Bar Jackelope. They have a list of really rare whiskeys (think Pappy Van Winkle, Macallan 25, and things of the sort). It can be a wait (or a healthy tip) to get in, but it's a cool spot.
Old May 13, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
With the interior renovations done, there should be no question now that this prop is far superior to the Westin. Location is 100 times better, yes 100. Probably one of the hotter if not hottest 5 block radiuses in DTLA at the moment. The metro across the street is also the connector for the majority of the metro lines (red-hollywood, purple-koreatown, blue-long beach, expo-santa monica), just more icing on the cake.

Mrs. Fish below the building of the Perch is a nice spot, with an aquarium inside. Perch rooftop gets too packed and often has a line inside after the original line to get up there.

Last edited by frudd38; May 13, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
Originally Posted by azeckel
A couple of other nearby restaurant recommendations:

Takami (Rooftop Sushi/Robata @ Wilshire/Flower)
Chaya @ 6th/Fig
Faith & Flower @ 9th/Flower
Perch @ 5th/Hill (little farther away, but trendy rooftop scene)

If you're into whiskey, there is a great bar called 7 Grand (on 7th between grand and Olive). Inside that bar is the "back bar" ... sort of a speakeasy called Bar Jackelope. They have a list of really rare whiskeys (think Pappy Van Winkle, Macallan 25, and things of the sort). It can be a wait (or a healthy tip) to get in, but it's a cool spot.
These are great recommendations! How does Takami compare to Perch? I've been to Perch before but never been to Takami.

Also does anyone know if the Jr. Suites are worth it? I have SNAs applied for them since it was either that or two queen on the 26th floor?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by canon5dfan
How does Takami compare to Perch?
They're quite different from an atmosphere and food perspective. Though both are "rooftop" bars/restaurants.

Perch is french style, rustic setting, craft cocktails, craft beer.

Takami has 3 kitchens: regular, robata (Japanese grill), and sushi. Sake, japanese beers, etc.

Different kind of "hip" between the two.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Bernie Sanders likes the neighborhood; he had dinner at Broken Spanish the other night.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Hi, does anyone have the manager's or the concierge's email at this property?

I'd like to plan some special events for a week getaway...

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Looking for some help here. How are the suites at this property? I can't find much information online other than a brief description and a few pictures. Have these rooms been renovated as well? Just one bathroom and a separate bedroom with a door? Sofabed or room for a rollaway? Thanks for any info!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by touringuy
Looking for some help here. How are the suites at this property? ..........
I cannot assist with the layout of the room but I can tell you my daughter stayed in a suite in July 2016 and she was miserable. Her suite was next to an elevator and she could not sleep. All night long she heard the elevator go up and down. She later complained and she was told that all the suites are located near the elevators so there was no point in moving rooms. It was a terrible weekend for her; the kids, of course, slept through all the elevator noise.

One more point, there is no hotel pool if this is important to you.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by poptarts
I cannot assist with the layout of the room but I can tell you my daughter stayed in a suite in July 2016 and she was miserable. Her suite was next to an elevator and she could not sleep. All night long she heard the elevator go up and down. She later complained and she was told that all the suites are located near the elevators so there was no point in moving rooms. It was a terrible weekend for her; the kids, of course, slept through all the elevator noise.

One more point, there is no hotel pool if this is important to you.
Thank you, I really appreciate the info! Was definitely interested in a pool so this will rule out the Sheraton.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by touringuy
Thank you, I really appreciate the info! Was definitely interested in a pool so this will rule out the Sheraton.
The narrow footprint of the building (originally a Hyatt in a mixed use complex) pretty much precluded a pool. The Bonaventure, just a few blocks away, has a nice 4th floor pool, and suites of various configurations (some true suites, others more like junior suites).
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:19 am

I have an upcoming night at the Sheraton Grand L.A. and I was just wondering whether the standard king vs. deluxe king makes any difference? Also wondering whether the rooms are nicer at the Westin Bonaventure? Is there a clear consensus on which property is preferable? Is construction still ongoing at the Sheraton?

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 17, 2016 at 8:26 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:10 am

I stayed at this property for 4 nights over the past weekend. Very nice renovations and appears there will be a nice shopping plaza soon attached to the hotel.

Some points about my stay:

- The suite I received, which I assume is the same regardless of floor, was behind the elevator and pretty loud. Unless you are a heavy sleeper I would avoid suites ending in xx09. Looking at the floor map it appears these were the only "real suites". There were possibly some junior suites situated away from the elevator.
- Suites are a single room, living room and bathroom. The bathroom is connected to the living room, not the room, and is nothing special (basic tub, single sink).
- The TVs were a little hard to manage. I did not have the ability to control with my phone and no way to turn on a sleep timer. This is a deal breaker for me for any long term hotel assignment.
- The lounge has a pretty decent breakfast: eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, lots of pastries, cereal, self-service coffee machine. Seating is a little cramped during peak hours. I am not aware of the breakfast platinum amenity and was not offered an amenity when I checked-in.
- The gym was fairly spacious: rowers, ellipticals, treadmills, stationary bikes, recumbent bikes and a fair amount of weight machines.
- Parking was $42 a night however there is a parking garage across the street that cost $5 on the weekend and I think $10 during the week.
Overall decent stay besides the elevator noise surrounding the suite. Lots of good restaurants within walking distances: Bottega Louie, Sugarfish and Little Girl were all ones I went to and enjoyed.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Anyone know what those Traditional Queen rooms with murphy bed is like?
Those rooms come with a larger 47" flat-screen TV though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.