Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yjc281
I just had the worst check in experience at Westin Excelsior Rome due to this "extra person fee" issue.
The frontdeak clerk who checked me in spent a lot of time explaining "Due to policy changes by Marriott, the extra person used to be free with SPG would longer be free" even though I already did my research and I know my kid who is 8 should be free. AND we were even offered a free roll away bed at Hotel Danieli only the day before.

I suspect what happened most likely was that "Marriott might have STOPPED reimbursement of extra person charges." It's then up to individual hotels to decide if they still want to offer Elite members the benefit without being paid extra.
Hotel Danieli told me they offered the free bed "because they value Titanium and Platinum members." This experience at Westin really ruined my evening because I asked and was assured by the clerk no extra bed to be added so I would not be charged. But then found out two beds already sitting in my room. I then went downstairs to ask the frontdesk manager to remove them. Then they
told me the beds can now be offered for free. And said they do not know why someone put them in for free. At that point I no longer want those beds even for free. The attitude is one of the worst in my 1400 nights of hotel stays. It seems to me some hotels only want to offer benefits to Platinum and Titanium Elites if they are paid extra by Marriott and others think differently. I'm not sure if Marriott or the hotels should be blamed. Honestly I'm 110% satisfied with Danieli and but never want to have anything to do with this Westin again.
I don't understand how they can argue with the current T&C on extra person charges.
Konsultant likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What should the expectation or possibilities be for platinum breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids in same room (paying EUR 89 for kids rollaway)?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:41 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nologic
What should the expectation or possibilities be for platinum breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids in same room (paying EUR 89 for kids rollaway)?
Expectation should be for only 2 persons getting the breakfast benefit. But the hotel may allow more--it's at its discretion. You're entitled to only 2 persons.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
When I was there in November w two adults and a kiddo we had full buffet for three. My expectation was two continentals as the t&c state so I was happy.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Curious if anyone has any points of comparison w/the Westin and the two Autograph Collection properties (Palazzo Naidi primarily, or the Iconic). Westin room photos look a bit dated.

BUT Marriott is of course charging a better room "tax" copay of 110 EUR on the Naidi, which I'm not really sure is worth it.

Thanks.
live4h2o likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:41 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Curious if anyone has any points of comparison w/the Westin and the two Autograph Collection properties (Palazzo Naidi primarily, or the Iconic). Westin room photos look a bit dated.

BUT Marriott is of course charging a better room "tax" copay of 110 EUR on the Naidi, which I'm not really sure is worth it.

Thanks.
What, no Hyatt options?

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 22, 2019 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Westin room photos look a bit dated.
I don't know about the photos, but the rooms are more than a bit dated.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin

We checked out the Iconic (the Boscole Exedra when we visited) while staying across the square at the StR. .........
You've got your hotels confused. The Iconic is neither near the The St. Regis, nor was it formerly know as the BoscolO.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by clublounger
You've got your hotels confused. The Iconic is neither near the The St. Regis, nor was it formerly know as the BoscolO.
Sorry you're right! I meant the Palazzo Naiadi, Dedica Anthology hotel...which used to be the Boscole Exedra. Thanks for correcting me. (I edited/deleted that last post.)
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Could go the SLH route but prefer to burn off my Marriott points first before they become even more devalued. Touché.

I hate dated hotel hotel rooms so this one may be a pass. Sucks to pay the Marriott points tax but unsurprising.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

Could go the SLH route but prefer to burn off my Marriott points first before they become even more devalued. Touché.

I hate dated hotel hotel rooms so this one may be a pass. Sucks to pay the Marriott points tax but unsurprising.
So stay at the Palazzo Naiadi, The Dedica Anthology, Autograph Collection (the one that actually used to be the Boscolo Exedra across the way from the St Regis.) It's pretty nice, actually. The furnishings weren't to my taste, but it was still not as tired as the Westin is alleged to be.

So many options with Bonvoy...unlike Hyatt.

The St Regis Rome is spectacular. I highly recommend.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer quality over quantity :-:
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:11 am
Suspended

I prefer quality over quantity :-:
Then drop all and stay at the StR Rome.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not available on points (even though a base room is available for cash, shocker). Plus only Hyatt is getting my paid $$$ now mostly.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently during COVID or during the re-opening period in June or July? If so, how was the service and experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.