Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, AZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, AZ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I just completed a short stay here and was pretty underwhelmed. No upgrades at all for any of the rooms I had booked, late checkout was denied for all rooms, rooms were just OK (reminded me of the Hyatt Hill Country) and service was still rough around the edges.

There is still just the one restaurant open for breakfast and lunch. The lobby bar doesn't open until 3pm and the market doesn't open until 8am. There is a Starbucks that opens at 6am, but there was a 20-30 minute line both weekend mornings since the only other option before 8am was the main restaurant. Everyone other than the front desk staff was really nice and tried their best to make the best of it, but everything was packed and there just weren't enough servers anywhere. One waitperson had the entire restaurant patio in the evening and I think there were only 2 or 3 servers handling the entire pool during the day. The pool also only had beer and wine because there was no bartender until 3pm (although this seemed like this was a unique issue and not the norm). The lobby bar and patio had the best service, but tables were mostly full by 5pm. Calls to the front desk/valet often went unanswered and valet was a mess at dinner time, but really great otherwise again likely due to lack of staffing.

The resort fee includes self parking, but self parking was pretty far away so we paid for valet. Also an update on breakfast, the platinum breakfast is now the continental buffet and there is a $9 upcharge for the full buffet. I thought it was a pretty good buffet though so didn't mind the upcharge. And I know it's technically the rules, but the front desk made a point to call out that the titanium breakfast was only for one of my rooms, which after no upgrades or late checkout was a little frustrating.

The resort was fine, but I don't think I'll return any time soon. We really liked the Tucson area, but the rates here were really high, and I think I prefer almost all of the Phoenix-area resorts. I'll probably try RC Dove Mountain at some point.

Last edited by spgplat21; Nov 8, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We had some issues here back in February, but it sounds considerably worse now, and that lack of staff is really having a negative impact. We noticed similar in Sedona this weekend. Saw several motels with "now hiring - $15/hour" right below the "vacancy" sign. We also saw "$15/hour" signs in Whole Foods and several restaurants. (And Whole Foods had only three registers open on Saturday night, with the lines reaching all the way to the back of the store.)
Originally Posted by spgplat21
The resort was fine, but I don't think I'll return any time soon. We really liked the Tucson area, but the rates here were really high, and I think I prefer almost all of the Phoenix-area resorts. I'll probably try RC Dove Mountain at some point.
I love Tucson, but it's a wasteland in terms of nice places to stay. Dove Mountain is too far away. Maybe Ventana Canyon, but it's an extra 35+ minutes coming in from Phoenix, and then you're way out on the east edge of town.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Stayed here just a few days ago. I booked it with a 35k cert. Rates were $600 and up. I had a pleasant stay. I'm Titanium and was upgraded from standard king to pool and Mountain View on the 5th floor. The balcony had a wonderful view of the hills and pool. It was crowded for sure. Lots of snowbirds and grandkids. My buddy and I had dinner in the onsite restaurant because there really isn't much other than fast food in the surrounding area. Staff at restaurants and bars were attentive and pleasant.

I was offered points or breakfast at check in. I chose breakfast which included the Continental portion of the Buffett which was plenty for me. There was a small fee to upgrade to full breakfast.

It was a good use of the cert but I don't think I would pay the going rate to stay as Tucson doesn't have a lot to offer. The Star Pass area is very scenic and the golf course looked great though.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by buzglyd
My buddy and I had dinner in the onsite restaurant because there really isn't much other than fast food in the surrounding area.
There are lots of great mexican food places within 15 minutes of the hotel.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are lots of great mexican food places within 15 minutes of the hotel.
15 minutes drive perhaps. And $15/day self parking fee or $29 for valet. Unless you simply want to/have to pay the $35/day resort fee which includes said self parking.

David
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by DELee
15 minutes drive perhaps. And $15/day self parking fee or $29 for valet. Unless you simply want to/have to pay the $35/day resort fee which includes said self parking.
You really need a car here (unless you're content eating all meals at the resort and limiting activities to what the resort offers plus the excellent hiking which can be accessed right across the street).

Street parking is free.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
You really need a car here (unless you're content eating all meals at the resort and limiting activities to what the resort offers plus the excellent hiking which can be accessed right across the street).

Street parking is free.
I fully agree about needing a car as well as didn't know that there was accessible street parking. That being said, while this is a resort, it really would be nice if the resort fee actually was for more resort-y things.

David
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by DELee
I fully agree about needing a car as well as didn't know that there was accessible street parking. That being said, while this is a resort, it really would be nice if the resort fee actually was for more resort-y things.

David
They offer a lot for a resort. $45 gets you free parking, 9 holes of golf, .....

A daily Resort Fee of $35 will be posted to each guestroom for a variety of amenities. The following amenities are included in the Resort Fee: - Daily unlimited golf for up to two people on Coyote 9-hole course including driving range (golf cart & rental clubs excluded) - Daily tequila toast on Salud patio - Daily guided morning hike for up to two people - Daily Mitakuye Oyasin Morning Ritual for up to two people - Complimentary self-parking - Wi-Fi access (enhanced only)
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by blitzen
Daily unlimited golf for up to two people on Coyote 9-hole course including driving range
That almost sounds too good to be true.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
That almost sounds too good to be true.
I have a tee time for tomorrow
GoSh4rks likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:42 am

Is it actually a full 9 hole golf course or one of those par 3 executive courses? .............I just looked and it looks like it is a regulation course. I would just add another 9 on the Rattler course and get 18 in.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Is it actually a full 9 hole golf course or one of those par 3 executive courses? .............I just looked and it looks like it is a regulation course. I would just add another 9 on the Rattler course and get 18 in.
Asked the pro shop and they said it is a regular 9 hole course (as the other two 9 hole courses).
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:56 am

That sounds like a good bonus then! I am very jealous as I would like to be where you are right now with a cold beverage in my hand! I'm sure the weather is very nice because it sure ain't nice here in the Peg! Last year I was golfing here 3 weeks ago and this year I don't think I will see the course for at least another 3 weeks. Absolute horrible winter.

Last edited by Bravada04; Apr 23, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04
That sounds like a good bonus then! I am very jealous as I would like to be where you are right now with a cold beverage in my hand! I'm sure the weather is very nice because it sure ain't nice here in the Peg! I was golfing here 3 weeks ago and this year I don't think I will see the course for at least another 3 weeks. Absolute horrible winter.
today will be perfect high 70s low 80s - looking forward to it
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:29 am

Championship size course. 9 holes - cart is extra - last tee time was 5pm ( no one in front and no one behind us - cart return at 6:30 (as the sun goes down shortly after (around 7?) and it would be pitch black
saw lots of jackrabbits and some deer (and lost a lot of balls as there are too many cactuses etc to search for an out of bounds ball

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.