Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas [Master Thread]

Westin Galleria; Houston, Texas [Master Thread]

Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Has anyone stayed here recently? What's the breakfast and elite recognition like? Is there a lounge with an evening food spread? I really want to visit the Galleria and this hotel seems perfect. If not here, where should I stay?
We have stayed at this hotel a number of times when in Houston for business. Location is great for the Galleria and we like that parking is free. As far as elite recognition we have never gotten an upgrade except for once when using an almost expiring SNA, but the rooms are nice and large enough that we're fine either way.

For our most recent stay in Houston which was last week, I switched to the neighboring JW Marriott because they had a point saver rate of 39,200 points for 2 nights vs 61k at the Westin for the same 2 nights. I had to pay $29 per night parking but I value the difference in points at more than that. They gave an upgrade to a king corner room after chatting with them in the app prior to arrival something that never worked at the Westin. They also honored 4 pm late check out without any problem but I can't say if the Westin would or wouldn't as we never tried there. We like both hotels and would probably stay at the one that has better rates in the future.

Did not eat breakfast at either one so can't comment on that.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by friedablass
We have stayed at this hotel a number of times when in Houston for business. Location is great for the Galleria and we like that parking is free. As far as elite recognition we have never gotten an upgrade except for once when using an almost expiring SNA, but the rooms are nice and large enough that we're fine either way.

For our most recent stay in Houston which was last week, I switched to the neighboring JW Marriott because they had a point saver rate of 39,200 points for 2 nights vs 61k at the Westin for the same 2 nights. I had to pay $29 per night parking but I value the difference in points at more than that. They gave an upgrade to a king corner room after chatting with them in the app prior to arrival something that never worked at the Westin. They also honored 4 pm late check out without any problem but I can't say if the Westin would or wouldn't as we never tried there. We like both hotels and would probably stay at the one that has better rates in the future.

Did not eat breakfast at either one so can't comment on that.
I thought the JW is in downtown?

Is there a lounge?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:12 pm

I thought the JW is in downtown?

Is there a lounge?
That's a different JW. We stayed at the Galleria one:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...7-a979c79310b0

There is a lounge but we didn't use it.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a different JW. We stayed at the Galleria one:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...7-a979c79310b0

There is a lounge but we didn't use it.
Oh, gotcha! So it seems like the Westin is older and if pricing is similar, then go with the JW Galleria?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:19 pm

Oh, gotcha! So it seems like the Westin is older and if pricing is similar, then go with the JW Galleria?
I would say so just from trying JW once, unless free parking talks to you then the Westin is nice too. We always do a rental so we take that into account especially if we stay 2-3 nights then it adds up.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say so just from trying JW once, unless free parking talks to you then the Westin is nice too. We always do a rental so we take that into account especially if we stay 2-3 nights then it adds up.
For a 24-36 hour stay, I'm not going to rent a car. Is Westin's parking at the mall or it has its own lot?

Is the JW connected to the mall or is there a short walk?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:56 pm

For a 24-36 hour stay, I'm not going to rent a car. Is Westin's parking at the mall or it has its own lot?

Is the JW connected to the mall or is there a short walk?
Westin has their own parking (at least I think so, but didn't pay attention). JW is across the street from the mall.

There are like at least 10+ different hotels within 1- 2 minutes of Galleria between Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt properties plus others not part of these groups. So just in that vicinity you really have a wide range of options to choose from.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I'm not sure why the moderators removed my post, but I'm reposting it as I think it provides good information:

The Westin Galleria only has one suite per floor - it is a nicer suite with full separation and a larger bathroom with massive shower. I would get upgraded sometimes during COVID, but not always as these rooms go fast. However, the Westin Oaks has four suites per floor - I was upgraded there even as a Silver during COVID. The catch is that these rooms are long with a living room in front and bedroom at the end. They are the same as the Executive rooms, but the suites add a sliding door. Both properties are connected physically to the Galleria and have free self parking in the attached Galleria parking garages (you mix in with mall patrons).
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I'm not sure why the moderators removed my post, but I'm reposting it as I think it provides good information:

The Westin Galleria only has one suite per floor - it is a nicer suite with full separation and a larger bathroom with massive shower. I would get upgraded sometimes during COVID, but not always as these rooms go fast. However, the Westin Oaks has four suites per floor - I was upgraded there even as a Silver during COVID. The catch is that these rooms are long with a living room in front and bedroom at the end. They are the same as the Executive rooms, but the suites add a sliding door. Both properties are connected physically to the Galleria and have free self parking in the attached Galleria parking garages (you mix in with mall patrons).
Somehow you saved your post? Impressive!

There is another Westin by the Galleria?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:23 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Somehow you saved your post? Impressive!

There is another Westin by the Galleria?
I'm surprised you didn't notice the Westin Oaks in the search results from Marriott.com - yes, there are two Westin properties physically connected to the Galleria - these hotels have been here since the Galleria opened. The Oaks was first and is located near the designer shops and ice skating rink. The Galleria Westin is located more in the center of the mall.

The Galleria has a lounge (but it's a US lounge - don't get excited), and the Oaks does not.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I'm surprised you didn't notice the Westin Oaks in the search results from Marriott.com - yes, there are two Westin properties physically connected to the Galleria - these hotels have been here since the Galleria opened. The Oaks was first and is located near the designer shops and ice skating rink. The Galleria Westin is located more in the center of the mall.

The Galleria has a lounge (but it's a US lounge - don't get excited), and the Oaks does not.
I just quickly went through the list. Houston has a lot of hotels.

I hear ya!
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:01 am

My post was removed as well but I have reposted it in the general thread for Marriott properties in Houston.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Looking at one night midweek later this month, using a cc FNA. What is the consensus choice these days between the two Galleria Westin's? Who has the better elite breakfast?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by swag
Looking at one night midweek later this month, using a cc FNA. What is the consensus choice these days between the two Galleria Westin's? Who has the better elite breakfast?
Searching some (non-FT) reviews, it seemed like this Westin had a lounge and the Oaks did not; worse, the Oaks restaurant menu includes an "Elite Continental Breakfast - Seasonal Fresh Cut Fruit · Toasted Bread · Fruit Preserved Orange Juice · Starbucks Coffee", suggesting that elites breakfasting in the Oaks restaurant can't get any hot offerings, at least without upcharge. So I moved my reservation from the Oaks to this one.

The lounge has in fact re-opened, and I enjoyed the breakfast spread there. My one night stay didn't allow me to see the evening offerings. (I've updated the master lounge thread as well).

The main negative I noted was that parking on the ground level of the garage was full - I followed the signs to the next lower level and parked there. This required walking up a flight of concrete, urine-stenched stairs.

friedablass likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Searching some (non-FT) reviews, it seemed like this Westin had a lounge and the Oaks did not; worse, the Oaks restaurant menu includes an "Elite Continental Breakfast - Seasonal Fresh Cut Fruit · Toasted Bread · Fruit Preserved Orange Juice · Starbucks Coffee", suggesting that elites breakfasting in the Oaks restaurant can't get any hot offerings, at least without upcharge. So I moved my reservation from the Oaks to this one.

The lounge has in fact re-opened, and I enjoyed the breakfast spread there. My one night stay didn't allow me to see the evening offerings. (I've updated the master lounge thread as well).

The main negative I noted was that parking on the ground level of the garage was full - I followed the signs to the next lower level and parked there. This required walking up a flight of concrete, urine-stenched stairs.

My parents were at the Oaks recently - they used a credit at the restaurant for breakfast instead of the continental - it sounded like it was enough for them to share a hot entree. They don't eat much but said the hot items (breakfast sandwich) were good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.