Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Toronto [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Toronto [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I take it you will be living and working in downtown?

What do you mean by "comped room service"? Do you expect free full meals ordered from the Room Service menu?!

All the Sheratons charge for internet. Some SET codes allow for free internet at Westins and Sheratons though.
Yes, I will be living and working downtown.

By "comped room service" I mean the "Sorry sir, we dont have a club lounge, here is a $XX per day for breakfast/appys in our restaurant or room service"

Hope that clears things up. Look forward to hearing from you.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:40 am

Both the King Edward and sheraton has breaky and evening snacks (but
the King Eddie also has free alcohol).

Both have gyms but the Sheraton has a pool whereas the King Edward does not.

I find service at the King Edward to be friendlier, the rooms larger, and
more personality overall than the Sheraton.

If you are indeed going to be at one hotel for a very long period, I would call and ask if they are able to comp you wireless based on the revenue generated (or at least discount it) - if one does, maybe that might be a deciding factor for you.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by CDNtravler
Both the King Edward and sheraton has breaky and evening snacks (but
the King Eddie also has free alcohol).

Both have gyms but the Sheraton has a pool whereas the King Edward does not.

I find service at the King Edward to be friendlier, the rooms larger, and
more personality overall than the Sheraton.

If you are indeed going to be at one hotel for a very long period, I would call and ask if they are able to comp you wireless based on the revenue generated (or at least discount it) - if one does, maybe that might be a deciding factor for you.

Thanks very much. I was leaning towards the King Edward as well due to its proximity to work, and the platinum treatment everyone has reported. The internet is not a HUGE deal, but since I will be there 3 months, paying 15 bucks a night will add up, and we are in a "watch your expenses" time. Would the King Edward be in the Toronto wi-fi (the pay one) zone?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Smile

Am in the King Edward now and I am very impressed. They gave me a sheet listing plat benefits (in addition to my deluxe suite upgrade).
Club lounge benefits- free contintental breakfast (it had smoked salmon, fresh fruit, oatmeal, etc- much more than your typical contintental breakfast in the US).
Free wine, beer and snacks in the evening^
Free fitness club
In room internet- it charged me $13.95 when I logged in, but I looked at my bill and they don't end up charging you for it- so it looks like internet is totally free
Downtown limo service (4km) radius from 730am-930am M-F
Use of the boardroom

Pretty nice benefits and upgrades. I've done the Westin and Sheraton... but if you can pull off the King Edward i'd definitely stay here for an extended stay over the others.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:55 am

I'm sold. Looks like I will be a resident of the King Edward for a few months. Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:56 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I'm sold. Looks like I will be a resident of the King Edward for a few months. Thanks everyone!
Just don't exceed the 90 consecutive days rule, so you can maximize your benefits as a member in the SPG program.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Just don't exceed the 90 consecutive days rule, so you can maximize your benefits as a member in the SPG program.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Thanks I will be traveling back to Alberta for weekends frequently, so no worries there.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad

All the Sheratons charge for internet. Some SET codes allow for free internet at Westins and Sheratons though.
Sheraton Centre gives free internet as part of club access. Plats are always given club access even when not on club floor. I have found this a bit of an odd one as the only reference to the free internet is in the elevator and initially I have been charged. However, I have never had any problem getting them to remove the charge, also for local calls. In my experience this hotel really looks after Plats - I have had a great choice/range of suites here - including one huge one with two sofas, vast dining table and two bathrooms. Lounge is nice (drinks very expensive) and I like the easy PATH access to the Eaton Centre.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
SOT

Originally Posted by pitbrian
Club lounge benefits- free contintental breakfast (it had smoked salmon, fresh fruit, oatmeal, etc- much more than your typical contintental breakfast in the US).
Free wine, beer and snacks in the evening^
Is the club lounge at the King Edward open 7 days a week?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
The internet is not a HUGE deal, but since I will be there 3 months, paying 15 bucks a night will add up, and we are in a "watch your expenses" time.
Perhaps this could be justification for a High-Speed Internet Stick from Rogers or Telus. The $1350 you saved would easily pay for the device and a couple of years of service, and you would then have access for a couple of years and from wherever there is cell coverage.

I have jailbroken my iPhone so I can tether it for net access as Rogers allows tethering on their cell plans, and I will save a bundle over the next year. I won't be earning the few extra starpoints though
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Toque
Perhaps this could be justification for a High-Speed Internet Stick from Rogers or Telus. The $1350 you saved would easily pay for the device and a couple of years of service, and you would then have access for a couple of years and from wherever there is cell coverage.

I have jailbroken my iPhone so I can tether it for net access as Rogers allows tethering on their cell plans, and I will save a bundle over the next year. I won't be earning the few extra starpoints though
Thanks, thats a very good point. I will look into getting that approved.

Thanks for the reminder about the lounge open 7 days a week. I will be compiling a large list of questions and emailing the manager, as it cant hurt to A) have the manager know you before you arrive for a long stay
B) possibly have some negotiating power
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:51 pm

Excellent choice. as the other poster mentioned.. internet charges never showed up on my bill. you will also have access to the internet, printer, copier at the club lounge free. very nice hotel and wonderful staff and excellent platinum treatment.

enjoy your stay.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I think that's a good choice. The Sheraton is not worth it, IMHO.
Let us know how your first few days go.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Was at the King Eddy last week.

As a Plat, was treated very well. The perks of Plat are free local calls and free internet, in the room. Of course, the lounge has 2 computers for use.

The lounge is open everyday. On the few days it was rented out to a group, during my stay, breakfast was offered as complimentary room service, or in the lobby restaurant. Evening cocktails were provided in the lobby bar, on those days. Very nice substitutions.

All around lovely property, and very friendly staff.

Aloha
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Destina_Flyer
Sheraton Centre gives free internet as part of club access. Plats are always given club access even when not on club floor. I have found this a bit of an odd one as the only reference to the free internet is in the elevator and initially I have been charged. However, I have never had any problem getting them to remove the charge, also for local calls. In my experience this hotel really looks after Plats - I have had a great choice/range of suites here - including one huge one with two sofas, vast dining table and two bathrooms. Lounge is nice (drinks very expensive) and I like the easy PATH access to the Eaton Centre.
DAMNIT! I wish I knew this before
I stayed there for a few days and ended up paying over $50 in internet and phone charges as a Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.