FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/411801-sheraton-grand-london-park-lane-london-united-kingdom-master-thread.html)

leland Apr 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Going for 3 nights next weekend on the buy 2 get 1 free offer. Fortunately that stay will throw me up to gold as well. Hopefully I'll get some love from the front desk. Perhaps the second I check in I'll ask them to check my status one more time ;) [does it update that quickly?]

To those of you who are frequent travelers there, is there a good bet for free wifi in that neighborhood. I need to check email once or twice per day, and not sure I want to shell out the exhorbitant rate for wifi that will be charged.

Good restaurant recs welcomed as well :)

thaliajen Apr 20, 2008 9:38 pm

I returned from the UK about 10 days ago and had an amazing stay at Park Lane. I used my Plat gift 50 percent off points to book 6 nights and then used full points for 7th night. My hubby joined me after 2 days to celebrate our anniversary (we go somewhere every year) and it was great!

Since my 1st stay at Park Lane was just okay (nothing special) I was wary of staying here again. I was SO wrong! They knew me by name and upgraded me to the Lord Peter Wimsley Suite, which overlooked the park. Since I always visit in July I am always upset about the air conditioning, so it was nice to be there in April when the weather was very Spring-like.

The suite had a living room with tv and windows that opened (it was called a balcony but I wouldn't go out there as it was only about a foot wide) and a comfy couch, and a large table for dining. French doors open into the living room, and when you enter you see 4 doors. One, the Living Room, two, a library/den! It also had a tv and a big desk with bookshelves filled with leather bound editions of Dickens and other great authors, plus a sofa facing the desk and TV.

The bedroom was amazing to me as I have always wanted a 4 poster/canopy bed. Another tv here, and a sit down vanity next to one side of the bed. The bed was a Sweet Sleeper and even more comfy than most, and as in every room but the bathroom, there was the "balcony" overlooking the park. We kept our windows open almost every day and the cool breeze was wonderful.

The Bathroom had FULL SIZED Molten Brown products, which I LOVE. There were 2 sinks, a little steel table between them to hold things, a heated towel rack and huge walk-in shower. My favorite part was the old-fashioned tub in the center of the room. It had a bath caddy across the tub to hold all the things you need while bathing.

There was a nice sized closet in the foyer and one in the bedroom, and an umbrella stand near the door. They sent up champagne and fruit and brought water daily.

I LOVED my stay in July at the Park Tower and was upset I couldn't use my points to stay there this time (it wasn't available for the Plat 50 percent off points deal as it was too high a category) but I am SO glad we stayed at Park Lane. We had such an amazing time and they didn't make a buck off us other than a few room service charges and still upgraded us to a wonderful suite. They even held our luggage when we went to Scotland, even though we weren't returning to the hotel to stay.

I know people, including myself, have put down this property for various reasons but we didn't have one problem in 7 days this time. I would recommend it heartily- we had a blast and it was well located. I would return again in a heartbeat!

leland Apr 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Just got back. No upgrade, so blech. If spending so much on a hotel I would expect more. Still, was able to sleep so did the trick, but if I didn't want SPG points/status I wouldn't go there w/o an upgrade certainty.

I had to pony up for a week's worth of internet -- if anyone is there or will be there before this saturday and wants my internet code please pm me.

Absolut1377 May 4, 2008 2:23 pm

First of 5 nights here....hotel is quite nice, service has been very good from what i've experienced so far. The room i'm in is ok....its clean, nice updated marble bath but there is one major down side. When I arrived the lady who checked me in said "We have a very nice room for you...very quiet."

I think great...it is a pretty average sized room (i.e. small) and it looks out onto a brick wall.

Though its quite tucked away and is very quiet.

Great location though but at 170GBP a night and being a plat I would have liked something more....maybe I'm just greedy?

traveladam May 18, 2008 10:06 am

Advice on Park Lane Hotel London

I've heard negative things about the Park Lane, but it's the best priced SPG hotel in London and convenient location for me. Any advice on the best rooms available to ask for upon check-in? Are some way better than others?

KENNECTED May 18, 2008 11:51 am

Originally Posted by traveladam (Post 9742582)
I've heard negative things about the Park Lane, but it's the best priced SPG hotel in London and convenient location for me. Any advice on the best rooms available to ask for upon check-in? Are some way better than others?

Hi and welcome, please visit the The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread Links . This property is much discussed and has a master thread.

I hope that helps.

Sheraton Park Lane London [Master Thread]

good luck and enjoy.

chanp May 18, 2008 8:19 pm

i like the pl over the lm down the street. near green park station and usually get upgraded all the time and yes the cheapest

thaliajen May 19, 2008 3:28 am

I returned from a weeklong stay in March/April and had a wonderful time. We were upgraded to the Lord Peter Wimsley suite overlooking the park. And I stayed on points!

I have now been to every Starwood property in London and have to say that for the money, I believe Park Lane to be the best. My favorite hotel there is Park Tower, but it isn't worth it to me to spend so much money there when other hotels are nearby and cheaper.

My least favorite is Sheraton Belgravia. But Park Lane is a nice property and located in a great area, near the tube and within walking distance of a lot of things you will want to see. And they have a great afternoon tea there- scones and clotted cream, I am hungry just thinking of it! ;)

Dambus Jul 14, 2008 4:26 pm

The main problem with the Park Lane is a complete lack of consistency.

At the Park Tower as a Plat you are pretty much guaranteed a high floor exec room with a (very) occasional suite upgrade

At the LM you can rely on getting an newer exec room with reasonably frequent J. suite/Suite upgrades.

At the Park Lane you are at the mercy of the check-in gods! Smoking preferences, bed preference, upgrades seems to based on tea-leaf readings (in my experience).

Unlike the LM and the PT where upgrades appear to processed a day in advance, the PL seems to upgrade based purely on check-in. So a Plat on a full rack rate checking in after a long day does not have a chance. :(

Originally Posted by Absolut1377 (Post 9675140)
Great location though but at 170GBP a night and being a plat I would have liked something more....maybe I'm just greedy?

Try £299+tax for a "classic" room with the noisiest free standing air co unit you can imagine!

Land-of-Miles Jul 15, 2008 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Dambus (Post 10033522)
The main problem with the Park Lane is a complete lack of consistency.

At the Park Tower as a Plat you are pretty much guaranteed a high floor exec room with a (very) occasional suite upgrade

At the LM you can rely on getting an newer exec room with reasonably frequent J. suite/Suite upgrades.

At the Park Lane you are at the mercy of the check-in gods! Smoking preferences, bed preference, upgrades seems to based on tea-leaf readings (in my experience).

Unlike the LM and the PT where upgrades appear to processed a day in advance, the PL seems to upgrade based purely on check-in. So a Plat on a full rack rate checking in after a long day does not have a chance. :(

Try £299+tax for a "classic" room with the noisiest free standing air co unit you can imagine!

I must say this has not been my experience with the PL and I have always checked in at the end of the working day, certainly no earlier than 5pm. Since I have now moved to London I tend not to stay in London hotels so often, but in 7 stays at this property I have been upgraded to a suite each time. On the first stay an Executive room (which seemed OK certainly better than the "classic" rooms) was offered but they moved me to a suite (quite a noisy one on the first floor) when I quibbled. Thereafter I had a 100% record of scoring a studio suite.

I have experienced the classic rooms myself before I became Plat and they are simply awful, but my Plat experience at this property has been very positive.

bseller Jul 15, 2008 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Dambus (Post 10033522)

My recommendation is to get to know someone in the front office. Get their e-mail address. Email them when you're planning to be in London. Know which room # you want. Ask for it. (Be understanding in that email that you are aware that said upgrade is space available). Check in. 100% of the time you can expect to be in your room. ;)

Dave

GlobalTrotterette Jul 21, 2008 10:43 am

Classic Rooms - Not a Great Deal

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 10035346)

I have experienced the classic rooms myself before I became Plat and they are simply awful, but my Plat experience at this property has been very positive.

I have to absolutely agree with this - it's a decent property for the price if you can get upgraded. However, if the hotel is full or you don't have status, the rooms are abysmal for the high price tag - think dirty carpeting, worn furniture (except the heavenly beds, which are up to standard as always), and the occasional musty smell.

The one consolation for us die-hard SPGers is to voice a complaint and insist on a room switch - not all classic rooms are bad, and you shouldn't have to settle. The front desk may try to tell you your room is standard for the centre of London (a line they tried on me), but since I stay in London Monday to Thursday every week, I know that's far from true (e.g. at the often-comparably priced Sheraton Belgravia and its local rival Jumeirah). For 200 - 250GBP a night, you can usually do better - even in London!

SanDiego1K Jul 21, 2008 11:14 am

GlobalTrotterette, welcome to FlyerTalk and the Starwood forum. With that superb information you've just given us, I really hope that you will share your knowledge about other Starwood properties where you have stayed. We're glad you found us, and look forward to your participation.

nologic Aug 5, 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 9744665)
i like the pl over the lm down the street. near green park station and usually get upgraded all the time and yes the cheapest

I am having a hard time choosing between the PL the LM for a one night stay this Sunday on cash and points (4,800 and $90 versus 8,000 and $150). I am SPG Platinum. I will be arriving in the early evening and departing about noon the following day.

Will be alone...things I would care about are: size/ambiance of the room; quality of the beds, linens, towels, etc.; clean/modern decor; nice TV; bathroom space; views; wifi/cost of wifi; free breakfast/lounge?; common areas, bar, etc.

Appreciate your suggestions/perspectives.

AdrianVanzulli Aug 6, 2008 1:32 am

As long as you get upgraded (to a refurbed room), which you almost certainly will, the PL will be fine. If you don't, you'll regret the choice. :) Be sure to get a room on the higher floors or you'll hear the noise from the bar downstairs, and have no AC in your room.

Cheers,

Adrian

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 10153983)
I am having a hard time choosing between the PL the LM for a one night stay this Sunday on cash and points (4,800 and $90 versus 8,000 and $150). I am SPG Platinum. I will be arriving in the early evening and departing about noon the following day.

Will be alone...things I would care about are: size/ambiance of the room; quality of the beds, linens, towels, etc.; clean/modern decor; nice TV; bathroom space; views; wifi/cost of wifi; free breakfast/lounge?; common areas, bar, etc.

Appreciate your suggestions/perspectives.