Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
BTW Points posted like clock work - just wating for the West Coast Bonus and 700 (to celebrate the 7th brand) points to post

-Vincent
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:55 pm

Programs: Whole Lot of Nothin' anymore - Thanks to baby!
i stayed there on tuesday night on a cheapie promo rate (119)
and got upgraded to a "traditional" room on the 11th floor in the historical building.

Decent hotel in all, pretty good for only 119 a night and getting points for it.

I didnt have to push for my 500 plat points, I just assumed they were going to give it to me, which they did without my even needing to ask.

edit:
Additionally, I felt the same worry about accidentally charging something to the minibar, as the little fridge can be jostled pretty easily and an accidental charge coming through. They had a disclaimer on the fridge saying something to that effect.

One more slightly weird thing:
When booking my promo rate online, they charged my SPG Amex the deposit of 135.75 based on room rate + 14.08% tax. For some reason, SPG.com has the deposit amount wrong, as 119*1.1408 = $135.76. So they were going to charge me a grand total of $.01 to my SPG Amex. Instead, I asked them to charge it to my new WaMu debit card, which I get $.03 per transaction by using it.

Last edited by bassmanben; Apr 13, 2006 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 13, 2006, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I've stayed at the St. Francis about a dozen times in the past 6 months, and found the rooms/amenities to be incredibly inconsistent.

Some of the rooms are great, some are tiny closets. I personally prefer the tower, as the rooms seem more consistent. In the older building, I've had a bathroom that was so small, I could touch all 4 walls while standing in one place, and another room that was huge with a nice bathroom!

Regarding the amenities, about a third of the time there is no robe, and in more than half of the rooms there has been no bottled water. Overall the hotel service is mediocre, and VERY INCONSISTENT, just like the rooms. I only spend about 10 hours in the hotel (in at 9PM, out at 7AM), so I just come to sleep and shower.

To be honest, I haven't frequented any other hotel in the Starwood system this much, so perhaps others have similar idiosyncracies. In the old building, I could understand due to the historical age of the hotel, but not in the tower. Several years back I frequented a Hilton down in NC, and recall having many more similar rooms.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:09 pm

Vincom, is Kevin S still working there? I stayed there for almost a year straight and talked to him quite a bit - he's very helpful. I thought he was in some rotational program, so I'm surprised he's still working as the front desk manager.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by hurdler
Vincom, is Kevin S still working there? I stayed there for almost a year straight and talked to him quite a bit - he's very helpful. I thought he was in some rotational program, so I'm surprised he's still working as the front desk manager.
Mr. Scott is no longer just Front Desk Manager, he is Front Desk / SPG Manager for the hotel... He is awesome I agree, always very helpful and very concerned about the expereince one has at the hotel...

He is just not that long ago out of school, he seems to be very talented and passionate about his job - which is refreshing...

-Vincent
Old May 9, 2006, 2:33 pm

I've stayed here few times and always forget not to come back (i.e. remember to tell TA not to book there) -- it's not typically anything major, but lot of small things.

Shower not having warm water in the morning, thin walls/ doors letting lot of noise through, internet connectivity problems that take 45 minutes to solve at midnight when I really need to send email before going to bed for 5 hour sleep, ...

I always mention these things when I am checking out and they seem appropriately apologetic, but never offer any thing else. On the other hand in Toronto when they (or I) had similar issues -- a customer reletions person had left two voicemails within 4 hours after check-out to get better understanding of the problems.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:28 pm
Original Member

St. Francis, SF- Please "join" the SPG program

I am a platinum member. I had a room booked on Wed for three nights. I arrived at 7:00 in the morning. I knew the hotel was sold out the evening before. I asked for and the clerk assured me of a tower room, high up when I returned at 5:00 P.M.

Upon my return at 5:00 p.m. I was given a key to a room in the "historic" section. (translation: old and smelly) I was told that the tower was all sold out. I politely asked how was it that not one person had checked out of the tower between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 pm? I was told that those room were "assigned" Then the clerk got weasly about how that was "too much of an upgrade" She then went in the back, spoke to a manager, came back and told be no rooms were in the tower were available. (Obvious BS) I went to my room, found it old and smelly as expected and called and asked for a manager. After being persistant, a room in the tower was available.

There were hundreds of people in the hotel from Canada attending a convention. I am sure not one had any Starwood Status.

Would Starwood corporate be kind enough to advise the St. Francis that best available room is the listed benefit and to knock it off.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mpclaw
I am a platinum member. I had a room booked on Wed for three nights. I arrived at 7:00 in the morning. I knew the hotel was sold out the evening before. I asked for and the clerk assured me of a tower room, high up when I returned at 5:00 P.M.

Upon my return at 5:00 p.m. I was given a key to a room in the "historic" section. (translation: old and smelly) I was told that the tower was all sold out. I politely asked how was it that not one person had checked out of the tower between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 pm? I was told that those room were "assigned" Then the clerk got weasly about how that was "too much of an upgrade" She then went in the back, spoke to a manager, came back and told be no rooms were in the tower were available. (Obvious BS) I went to my room, found it old and smelly as expected and called and asked for a manager. After being persistant, a room in the tower was available.

There were hundreds of people in the hotel from Canada attending a convention. I am sure not one had any Starwood Status.

Would Starwood corporate be kind enough to advise the St. Francis that best available room is the listed benefit and to knock it off.
It may come as a surprise to you,there many *Wood Plats & Gold who live in Canada.
I stay at St.Francis often.Have always been upgraded.
During the Oracle convention in Oct. 2006, I was upgraded to a suite^
By the way I am a Canadian.Been Starwood Plat from the first year it was offered.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Are you for real!?
Are you mad because you didn't get the room you wanted or because the hotel was full of Canadians?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It isn't that there were Canadians, it was that there were Canadi<ns Seriously, this property rarely gives a suite as a platinum upgrade. I have generally received tower rooms with a nice view.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Why was it relevant to indicate that the hotel was packed with Canadians???

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Feb 9, 2007 at 9:10 pm
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Why was it relevant to indicate that the hotel was packed with Canadians???
Well, blame Canada
Blame Canada
It seems that everything's gone wrong
Since Canada came along
Blame Canada
Blame Canada
They're not even a real country anyway
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
It is never a good idea to book a room with which you'll be unhappy if no upgrade is available.

Hordes of Canadians pop up in the darndest places.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
On thanksgiving 2006 the St.Francis was PACKED-mostly with families.I was still upgraded to a great tower room with a fantastic view-even though I was staying on a super cheap travelzoo rate($89).
The one thing that stands out for me was that on the day after thanksgiving all of the jr.managers were out in the public spaces assisting guest and all were smiling/saying hello welcome to the St.Francis!
It was that stay,and subsequent stays with both Marriott and Starwood Properties that have tipped the scale in Starwoods favor and soured me on Marriott.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Gold, millions of points scattered across thousands of other programs...
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
It is never a good idea to book a room with which you'll be unhappy if no upgrade is available.

Hordes of Canadians pop up in the darndest places.
We always travel in flocks actually, rather than hordes. We are snowbirds and geese after all.

I have the feeling that it wouldn't have mattered who the folks were, but as NB said, many of us are Gold and Plat members. We are taxed to death - we need the points to be able to afford... never mind. The Gov't used to require us to claim those too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.