Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by garykung
Regardess the merger or not, I don't believe award stay can be upgraded. Even I am wrong, there are many people ahead of you in term of upgrade.
award stays can definitely be upgraded....i've received tons of complimentary suite upgrades on award stays, including at this property itself....i've also used suite nights, paid upgrades & points upgrades on award stays....in my opinion there is no difference between a paid & award stay when it comes to upgrades....

but you are right that a gold member is way down the queue when it comes to an upgrade, specially at a property like this....
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just a heads up... There is currently a strike by hotel workers in front of all three sides of the property. They’re banging pots, sticks, etc., so expect a lot of noise if you’re staying here tonight or I imagine, at the very least, the next few nights.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Positive experience with this property. A week out before my reservation the hotel emailed me asking about my arrival time and if I had any special requests. I booked a base level room

I check into the hotel in a couple of days but the hotel proactively upgraded me to a grand deluxe immediately after the reach out which I’m pretty impressed by. So even if I don’t get my suite upgrade at time of check in I still got a pretty good upgrade regardless of occupancy
Old May 25, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I'm at this property right now and quite happy here. It's something different and a welcome change to stay in a historic building.

Can understand though that regular visitors to SF would prefer a lounge and a more modern layout of the rooms as well as restaurant.

They offered me a suite in the renovated part of the building but I declined as it was on the 8th floor and has a Union Square view. I prefer the higher rooms with view over the bay in the Towers part of the building.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:45 pm

yeah in that location, a high floor is an absolute must. 8th floor would be unbelievably noisy.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Tower or Landmark? Any advice re. suite upgrades - any better to choose/not choose with SNAs? Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Tower or Landmark? Any advice re. suite upgrades - any better to choose/not choose with SNAs? Thanks!
Tower is more modern and larger rooms on average.

Use an SNA for a CityView suite, or the corner suites in either building are beautiful. The showers in the landmark suites are larger.
SPN Lifer and Mr. BoH like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by anteater
Tower is more modern and larger rooms on average.

Use an SNA for a CityView suite, or the corner suites in either building are beautiful. The showers in the landmark suites are larger.
Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:56 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I just checked in tonight and am highly impressed for a property with a 3.7 ranking on Marriott.com.
I have been wanting to stay here for years after watching the episode of Great Hotels with Samantha Brown. Those elevators in the Tower looked like a dream come true, and now that I've ridden them in person, I can confirm my suspicions were correct.

Seriously, though, check-in was great. The FDA had a towel for me to dry my hands with, and we walked through the upgrade options in both of the buildings. I was offered either a Corner Junior Suite in the Landmark building on the 11th floor with a Union Square view or a Corner Junior Suite in the Tower on the 30th floor with a Coit Tower view. Because of the elevators and the additional height, I opted for the Tower, despite the more recent renovations in the Landmark building.

The view from my Tower room is amazing - you can basically see everything you would want to see in SF, except for the Golden Gate Bridge. The room itself seems nice - haven't tried the bed or shower yet. I do appreciate the usage of Marriott's Internet TV OS.

The breakfast coupon I was given specifies 3 items from the lobby cafe during the week or the breakfast buffet in the Oak Room on Saturday or Sunday.
DCFlyer0306 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
The view from my Tower room is amazing - you can basically see everything you would want to see in SF, except for the Golden Gate Bridge.
Now that the atmospheric river has passed, I can confirm I was wrong - you can see the Golden Gate Bridge from the room! Last night, the shower worked well, and the bed was effective (although, I did miss the Heavenly duvet).
SPN Lifer, dcmike and anteater like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 2:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Now that the atmospheric river has passed, I can confirm I was wrong - you can see the Golden Gate Bridge from the room! Last night, the shower worked well, and the bed was effective (although, I did miss the Heavenly duvet).
Hey - we are also looking at Westin for a 6 night stay in Jan/Feb next year. Any final impressions? Reviews are either really good or really bad for it on the web.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kumarshah
Hey - we are also looking at Westin for a 6 night stay in Jan/Feb next year. Any final impressions? Reviews are either really good or really bad for it on the web.
Be aware that it's a large convention hotel with no club lounge. It's in a good location, but there seem to be a lot of homeless people in the neighborhood.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by kumarshah
Final impressions were very positive - I'm staying again in January. "Convention hotel" is probably the last way I would describe this property as, though it is large, it is quite historic and unique. No issue with any of the Elite benefits, and the staff was more friendly than you would expect for a Westin.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:29 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be aware that it's a large convention hotel with no club lounge. It's in a good location, but there seem to be a lot of homeless people in the neighborhood.
Only Gold Elite but going for Platinum next year, so should be fine.

Final impressions were very positive - I'm staying again in January. "Convention hotel" is probably the last way I would describe this property as, though it is large, it is quite historic and unique. No issue with any of the Elite benefits, and the staff was more friendly than you would expect for a Westin.
Great thanks. Booked the Junior Suite in Tower Building, corner room.

Last edited by kumarshah; Nov 18, 2021 at 2:01 pm
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Anyone have email address contact available for this hotel - had some questions especially if they can store bags for us overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.