Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:30 pm

Westin has a great location and is a classic older hotel , that said I agree about the service being better in Asia. Tried the Nikko in SF and service was truly terrible. I had chosen that hotel since we had a meeting with people coming in from Japan.
In general, hotel rooms in SF run pretty small
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:31 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
This whole discussion about expectations being set against a property based on its *wood category is something worth taking a close look at.

Remember that the *wood category assignment is N O T based on something like the Mobil or AAA rating system at all. It is based solely on the $$$ average charged per room per night over a designated time frame. Given that SFO can be a most expensive place to stay (relative to, say, Kansas City), the Westin SF may well offer the same general offerings as the Westin Crown Ctr (KC, MO) but be able to be a category or two higher.

Folks can get into some murky waters using Hotel Award Categories as primary guides to luxury accomodations. The Westin SF is in no way a luxury hotel and I've not seen marketing on their behalf that would describe it as such.

Ironically, this system of determining award levels based on $$$ averaging can sometimes really benefit the consumer in the case of tremendous seasonality. Right now, the Sheraton in Portland ME is getting in the range of $250++ for weekend nights (high season for lobster eaters) and selling completely out -- but it is a level two hotel -- just 3000 points per weekend night. A steal for 3000 points.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Folks can get into some murky waters using Hotel Award Categories as primary guides to luxury accomodations. The Westin SF is in no way a luxury hotel and I've not seen marketing on their behalf that would describe it as such.
From the Starwood description of the hotel

Renowned for its legendary service, the historic Westin St. Francis boasts luxurious guest rooms...
Marketing BS not reflective of reality at least in my experience. Neither service nor the rooms as I have described above fit the above. I also seem to remember several mentions of luxury in the hotel itself. Most third-party agents describe this hotel as luxury hotel (not that it means much but nevertheless).

By the way, the hotel services section for this hotel mentions a lounge. What lounge are they talking about?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ_PPT
I had a one night layover in San Fran recently, and wanted to be downtown for the night. Decided to burn points and stay at the St. Francis. I had stayed there last year and was quite happy with the place. Never stayed at either the Palace or W, and wanted to reserve those for my next stay, when I'll be there for a longer period of time.
Room was on the 25th floor, tower, and a lot smaller than my previous stay. In fact, it seemed half the size. The front desk clerk stated "we have you in one of our upgraded rooms...the room is on a high floor and quite large" High maybe, large is was not. I guess what was 'upgraded' was the view. As posted previously, overall grand hotel with good location, not service (but to be expected). You can get a lot better value for 10000 points.
Although the Sh. Fsh. Wharf is, at the Wharf, my last stay in a Presidential suite upgrade justified the 7000 points. In fact, IMO, all suites on the 4th floor are great if you can manage an upgrade. Hopefully, 10000 can get me a lot more at the Palace or W next time.

I'm in agreement here - stayed at both the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf as well as the Westin St. Francis, and despite the company picking up the tab, simply can't justify the mediocrity of the St. Francis. It is a charming hotel, the location is very central - especially for those on consulting engagements where girlfriends/spouses/significant other's visit and are thrilled with the shopping proximity. Service is very "blah" and I've had horrible experiences with the valet - up to 1 hour waits, with the final ignominy being a _huge_ dent on the passenger-side door of the rental Durango I didn't notice until arriving at SFO. Thankfully the corporate card took a no-hassle report over the phone and I never saw the bill for it.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

In 1989, the company for which I was employed had us stay at the Westin St. Francis, which is the reason why I joined the old Westin Premier frequent guest program. I stayed there every year for several years and I simply was not impressed. It is a nice hotel with a proud history and I would recommend staying there one night just for the experience and the ability to say “I stayed there”, but there was simply nothing outstanding about this property overall, in my opinion.

After reading this thread, I notice that little has changed.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

Preface: I am in San Francisco for corporate meetings. A friend/client came into the City from Napa for the night. I made a reservation last minute at this Hotel after calling the front desk and asking about a upgrade for a Platinum. The front desk was professional and said a upgrade would be in order.

Rate: I got a rate very good rate.

Transportation: I have a room going at the Omni also here in San Francisco. During lunch I took a cab over to check-in. The total including tip was $7.00.

Check-in: As you may know there is a strike action in the City. Security is posted at every door and I just mentioned I was checking in as passing thru door. The Hotel has a SPG check-in to the far right counter. The process was a little slow but I was motioned over by a agent who was available at the regular check-in area. The entire process was very professional. I was asked about my amenity and took points. The agent on his own took a look for a upgrade in accomodations. I was given a room on the 31st floor of the Tower facing Union Square. That works!

Perks: 500 Starwood points as a amenity. In the key packet was a discount voucher for Macy's and Harry and Davids which is located on the street level face of the Hotel. I believe the Macy's coupon was for a 12% discount.

Room: The room indeed faces onto the Square. A nice view with some of the Bay showing. The room has the Westin Heavenly bed, a good size area, desk for work, a day lounge chair, decent size bathroom with dated fixtures and somewhat worn wookwork. Definitely not renovated. A slight negative is the elevator bank which obstructs a portion of the view. By City standards a nice room, great location, view and safe feeling.

Communication: High speed wired internet is available. I believe at a cost.

Closing: My stay has just begun so if necessary I will post closing comments.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Nov 13, 2004 at 7:32 am
Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:57 pm

Programs: CO - gold, UA - p.exec, AA- Silver, *wood - gold
Love this hotel...Tower rooms only though

I've had a few stays at this property, great location and nice views on the higher SPG floors. The Grand Deluxe view faces out over the city and towards the GG bridge. AMAZING sunsets! Don't make the mistake of staying in the main building (where the suites are), the "renovated" rooms are a little musty and dark. The tower rooms are bright, spacious, an most important in SF...available with great views. Wish I was there right now!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
The real "upgrades" are on the 31st floor. As this is where the good suites are (Suites with marble floors, large wooden doors, door bell, gold fixtures, multiple bathrooms, some with fireplaces, bars, etc...)

There are only 32 floors, the top floor being used as an after dinner lounge / meeting room type thing.

When I check in, they usually try to say I'm getting some great upgrade...yeah right... I usually say "is it on the 31st floor" otherwise, all the rooms in the tower are very "Plain Jane" Westin rooms, except for the corner rooms which are a little bigger.

I've only been given a suite on the 31st floor (Shangri La Suite) once, it was amazing. I've also had a friend who had the Windsor Suite 2 wks ago during the elections coverage. It was enormously large (prob over 1,000 sq ft), but not as nicely decorated as the Shangri La which was slightly smaller.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:25 am

Thumbs down Beware The Windowless Room!

I booked here once through priceline, and when I called the hotel to arrange an upgrade before checkin, I was told that I had a room without a window. I was shocked, didn't know that such a thng existed. It seems like they save these just for priceline customers, no wonder they're so cheap!
They refused to upgrade or accept my cancellation.
After some hassle, priceline did accept my cancellation, due to post 911 issues.
That was the last time I booked a room through priceline.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:31 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I stand mentally corrected. Room on 31st floor. Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doug 2205
That was the last time I booked a room through priceline.
The problem isn't with PL, it is with the Hotel. PL does ensure that people do not get "PL rooms" on PL stays if you pursue. They have been known to drop hotels that violate this. For the very reason as what you did, PL doesn't want the reputation of getting you the worst rooms.

As to this hotel, the upgrade to "best room" isn't automatic especially in award stays. You may have to be forceful at times.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:31 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA, UAL, USAir, etc.
Mixed Reviews

I stay there every two weeks. Great Hotel. OK Concierge (very sterile, impersonal, cookie cutter). Noisy protesters. Nice Lobby. Great location.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Link to the last review on this hotel

Westin St. Francisco SF - Not impressed
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by venk
The problem isn't with PL, it is with the Hotel. PL does ensure that people do not get "PL rooms" on PL stays if you pursue. They have been known to drop hotels that violate this. For the very reason as what you did, PL doesn't want the reputation of getting you the worst rooms.

As to this hotel, the upgrade to "best room" isn't automatic especially in award stays. You may have to be forceful at times.
Why would you expect an upgrade on a priceline room?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Does the front desk still wash the coins? (this was an old St.F tradition, from before the Western International days).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.