Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Dubai: which Starwood property? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai: which Starwood property? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by remymartin
Since posting in May rates have gone up and I've decided to go for primarily point redemption (unless the rates get really low) on all 3 nights and hotel hopping to find a favourite.

Here's the rundown for a sample night:
  • 4P Downtown, 7k, AED 472
  • 4P Bur Dubai, 7k, AED 360
  • 4P SZR, 10k, AED 700
  • Sheraton MOE, 12k, AED 950
  • Grosvenor House, 20k, AED 1200
  • Sheraton Jumeirah, 12k, AED 1150

None of the point redemptions seem like terribly good value although I've done worse this year. I left out LRM as it's probably >25k.

Thoughts on which properties and a particular order? I need late checkout so I'll forego resorts on the last night. I'm sure it matters - no, I don't like shopping.
some of these properties are also available on beatthetimer.com with fairly good discounts....it may be worth checking there before using points....
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by colerc
I should clarify, "dead zone" is perhaps a bit extreme. If traffic is light, getting from the Marina to Bur Dubai (i.e. one end of town to the other) takes only 20 minutes or so (and no more than $10-15) by taxi on the highway, or somewhat longer than that (I want to say 30-45 minutes but not sure exactly) by Metro. But, given that traffic can be heavy at times, making that cross-town trek fewer times is preferable, hence the possibility of splitting the stay.

However, staying in one place could also work, especially given that it sounds like you've found a great redemption value.

The only other thing to consider is that 5 nights in Dubai could get a bit boring--I describe Dubai as Vegas without the gambling; a lot of the activity is around shopping, nightlife, spas, big hotels, and gaudiness (not that there's anything wrong with that). For that reason alone, if you're going to do 5 nights at one hotel, I'd definitely go for the Sheraton Jumeirah, which at least has a more substantial set of on-site activities (the SMOE has the mall, of course, but you'll visit there no matter where you're staying).

If you're making the trip all the way from the US, might be worth considering adding a side trip elsewhere in the region (though various bits of instability these days do make that a bit harder). At the very least, you could consider going over to Abu Dhabi (1-1.5 hour's drive)--there's not much to see there, but there's a day's worth of stuff, and the St. Regis is a beautiful property with excellent pools and beaches.

Depending on your tolerance for driving in strange places, you could also consider renting a car. I would not recommend it for your first few days as the roads and traffic are a bit intimidating at first, but having been to Dubai a few times now I enjoy having a car as it's very much a driving city and you get a better feel for the place if driving around. If you do 5 nights in Dubai you could consider getting a car for your last couple of days and take a day trip over to Abu Dhabi, for example.
Fantastic, thank you so much for the advice! This is very helpful indeed.

I'm actually traveling around Europe until November - then was going to head off to Asia. However, I though prior to doing that I might try to bop down to the *wood properties in Seychelles and do some diving. It appears one must fly through Dubai or Abu Dabi to get here - thus, I figured, might as well check out one of these cities since I've never been.

Based on your recco's - I may now spend less than 5 days there. 3 might work. Thanks much!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Hi all,
I am going Dubai for the first time just after the new years for 2 nights (3-5 Jan).

I know GH is nice but out of my budget. Looking for something no more than AED700 (Gee, the ++ in Dubai is 20%!!!). So far, I narrow it down to:
- 4P Bur Dubai
Prepaid Rate AED475++
Flexi w/o bf AED525++
Dine your way AED525++ INCLUDES AED100 DAILY CREDIT AT PICANTE PORTUGUESE RESTAURAN but pre paid
Flexi w bf AED575++

- 4P Downtown
Family Package: Kids 12 and under eat free from Kid's menu with purchase of adult meal AED475 (flexi rate). I have no kids so only non-prepaid is useful.
Dine your way AED698 INCLUDES 125 AED DAILY CREDIT (NOT CUMULATIVE FOR STAY) PER ROOM FOR OUTLETS, ROOM SERVICE AND MINIBAR. NON CHANGEABLE. ADVANCE PURCHASE RATE. FULLY PREPAID.

- Sheraton Deira
SPG Plus AED502++ Includes Breakfast for two daily, excludes room service. (non-preaid)
Prepaid AED672

Sound to me Sheraton has the best deal. I am only Gold member so it will not have lounge access and upgrade.

Should I go with Sheraton?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
4P Bur Dubai is ok. Its not far from Burjuman shopping centre and the metro. Breakfast is not great.

4P is a reasonable hotel but little of interest around it.

Both are good for short stays and are a short ride to the airport.

Havent stayed at the Sheraton.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:18 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
The better option would be 4P SZR which appears to be at about 700AED++. Excellent location in the centre of pretty much all the sights of Dubai. The other options locations you have highlighted are not at all desirable IMHO.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (life gold);UA 1K; IC Plat Amb
Adding my two cents to the thread. Grosvenor House is a fantastic hotel. I have been out in this part of the world for a few months and this was easily the best in Dubai.

Staff is great. Food options are way above average, and the nightlife scene is quite good (at least on Thursdays). note: Go upstairs to the roof lounge for a younger crowd (rather than the BB).
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lingua101
Hi all,
I am going Dubai for the first time just after the new years for 2 nights (3-5 Jan).

I know GH is nice but out of my budget. Looking for something no more than AED700 (Gee, the ++ in Dubai is 20%!!!). So far, I narrow it down to:
- 4P Bur Dubai
Prepaid Rate AED475++
Flexi w/o bf AED525++
Dine your way AED525++ INCLUDES AED100 DAILY CREDIT AT PICANTE PORTUGUESE RESTAURAN but pre paid
Flexi w bf AED575++

- 4P Downtown
Family Package: Kids 12 and under eat free from Kid's menu with purchase of adult meal AED475 (flexi rate). I have no kids so only non-prepaid is useful.
Dine your way AED698 INCLUDES 125 AED DAILY CREDIT (NOT CUMULATIVE FOR STAY) PER ROOM FOR OUTLETS, ROOM SERVICE AND MINIBAR. NON CHANGEABLE. ADVANCE PURCHASE RATE. FULLY PREPAID.

- Sheraton Deira
SPG Plus AED502++ Includes Breakfast for two daily, excludes room service. (non-preaid)
Prepaid AED672

Sound to me Sheraton has the best deal. I am only Gold member so it will not have lounge access and upgrade.

Should I go with Sheraton?
i would go with either the four points bur dubai or the sheraton....i like the location of the four points better & in terms of service & quality they are both similar....
Old Dec 6, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by fraz2007
Adding my two cents to the thread. Grosvenor House is a fantastic hotel. I have been out in this part of the world for a few months and this was easily the best in Dubai.

Staff is great. Food options are way above average, and the nightlife scene is quite good (at least on Thursdays). note: Go upstairs to the roof lounge for a younger crowd (rather than the BB).
For the dates above the rate is 1860/night for the most basic room.

I like the 4P SZR but its 924 per night.

4P Bur Dubai was refurbished a couple of years ago and is good value for what it is. There is pleanty to do in Dubai for 2 days so I wouldnt be spending a lot of time in the room to be worried about anything more than a comfortable bed in a good quality establishment.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by geminidreams
For the dates above the rate is 1860/night for the most basic room.

I like the 4P SZR but its 924 per night.

4P Bur Dubai was refurbished a couple of years ago and is good value for what it is. There is pleanty to do in Dubai for 2 days so I wouldnt be spending a lot of time in the room to be worried about anything more than a comfortable bed in a good quality establishment.
Yes exactly, I don't think I will spend so much time in room other than sleeping. So GH is definitly out of my budget. Not really willing to pay anything more than 700AED (considering 20% for ++ also).

1 thing that I forget to add. My flight is at 8pm. So prefer to have property which is more generous for late checkout. As SPG gold, I am guarantee 4pm late checkout, so it will be good if it can be extended to 6pm

If everything is almost equal, so I guess Sheraton may be the better option right, as I will get 250 bonus points as SPG gold, instead of 125 points with 4p.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by lingua101
Yes exactly, I don't think I will spend so much time in room other than sleeping. So GH is definitly out of my budget. Not really willing to pay anything more than 700AED (considering 20% for ++ also).

1 thing that I forget to add. My flight is at 8pm. So prefer to have property which is more generous for late checkout. As SPG gold, I am guarantee 4pm late checkout, so it will be good if it can be extended to 6pm

If everything is almost equal, so I guess Sheraton may be the better option right, as I will get 250 bonus points as SPG gold, instead of 125 points with 4p.
First everything isn't almost equal and basing your decision on an extra 125 points is just silly.

4points bur dubai is where i would stay and I have stayed several times. I am going next weekend to the sheraton deira so i'll see if much has changed there. Average at best and a lower end Sheraton really.

I wouldn't count on 6 pm check out as I have tried to request it during weekends at various properties in Dubai in general and only got it once past 4 pm. Not sure why Dubai isn't so agreeable but IME 4 is fine and if 4points bur dubai just have them store your bag for a couple hours extra.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
Anyone who knows if Ajman Saray, a Luxury Collection Resort, Ajman will participate in the SPG programe? Was schedule to open 15 of Dec, but the opening is postponed to February.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
Originally Posted by Chriscross
Anyone who knows if Ajman Saray, a Luxury Collection Resort, Ajman will participate in the SPG programe? Was schedule to open 15 of Dec, but the opening is postponed to February.
To answer my own question. It will be Cat 5, and opens 1st of Feb.

The prices at at Le Royal Meridien has fallen a bit for stays in February. Any experiences with upgrades for Platinum at this property?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Alaska MVP Gold, IHG Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Going with my family (wife, 2 kids - 3 yr and 1yr) to Dubai and I'm trying to decide between Grosvenor House and Le Royal Meridien. Staying on points so cost is not a factor as they are both 20k pts a night. We have 3 days and the main aim is R&R - pool, beach etc. I'm SPG platinum. So which one is better based on upgrade likelihood, comfort for family of 4 in one room and pool/beach? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by CTheWorldK; Feb 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (life gold);UA 1K; IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by CTheWorldK
Going with my family (wife, 2 kids - 3 yr and 1yr) to Dubai and I'm trying to decide between Grosvenor House and Le Royal Meridien. Staying on points so cost is not a factor as they are both 20k pts a night. We have 3 days and the main aim is R&R - pool, beach etc. I'm SPG platinum. So which one is better based on upgrade likelihood, comfort for family of 4 in one room and pool/beach? Thanks for your help!
I am huge fan of the GH; the plat upgrades are quite good and the property itself is beautiful. Food options are also quite nice (try Indigo for Indian food)

That said, it is a bit of a scene, so if you aren't ok with that I would say hit the RM.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by CTheWorldK
I'm also a big fan of the Grosvenor House. I've heard good things about the Royal Meridien as well.

FYI, you can use the pool and beach facilities for free at the Royal Meridien when staying at the Grosvenor House.

The lounge at the Grosvenor House as I said before it's the best lounge that I've ever experienced, they do have a family area in that lounge as well.

It is a very short drive (not more than 3 minutes) from the GH to the RM, the GH provide a free shuttle service as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.