FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seattle, WA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/410350-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-seattle-wa.html)

pinniped Jan 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seattle, WA

I will be in Seattle a lot in 2006. Like 15-20 total stays; approx 40 total nights.

I had planned on remaining a devoted Marriott guest - usually at the Renaissance (because Marriott Waterfront never has our corporate rates), but my last Renaissance stay wasn't very good and - far more importantly than the stay itself - the hotel never responded at all to my written complaint.

Everybody says the Hilton Seattle is lame, so my choices are Kimpton and Starwood, both with three properties downtown. I know the Westin and the Sheraton always show up in my corp rate range, and the W *occasionally* does. In fact, I'm willing to burn my SPG50's to get the W once in a while...what else am I going to do with the things?

But realistically speaking...long term...if I go Starwood for all of this, it's going to be Westin vs. Sheraton.

So my questions are this: (a) is the club lounge at the Sheraton closed for a long period of time? I'm only Gold, but I'd probably buy access for $9.95 since it sounds like they offer that. (b) Are there a lot of "bad" rooms at the Sheraton? Or was that icky tiny room a random stroke of bad luck? (c) Does the Westin offer the same $9.95 buy in for lounge access? (d) What kind of rooms do Golds typically get at these properties? (e) If I became somewhat of a repeat guest, would either of them hook me up reasonably well - even if I don't hit Plat?

Thanks! :)

rives21 Jan 24, 2006 10:44 pm

I know this is the Westin Vs. Sheraton Seattle thread, but I'd like to vote for the W Seattle. I stayed there for about two weeks when first moving to the city and I highly recommend the hotel. Great service, good views, terrific rooms...

gleff Jan 25, 2006 2:52 am

I do love the W Seattle.

As a Gold you aren't entitled to club lounge access, so buying up is the only choice. Others have written that the Sheraton club lounge is fine but not impressive. As a Gold at the Sheraton you'll probably get an SPG floor, or maybe club floor on the weekend when the lounge is closed (but probably won't get breakfast coupons to compensate). As a Gold at the Westin you'll probably get a nice view of the water, at least if you ask, and a city view on an SPG (high) floor otherwise.

KathyWdrf Jan 25, 2006 6:04 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
...(c) Does the Westin offer the same $9.95 buy in for lounge access?...

No lounge at the Westin. :( They do have a little casual cafe off the lobby where you can purchase a moderately priced breakfast if you like.

I've stayed at all three Seattle Starwoods and I like the Westin best, but that's partly because of price (the W is usually out of range). The Westin can become very busy with conventions and have elevator wait problems as a result. I like it anyway. I think it's partly the beds, partly the big wall of windows in each room (and the views), and the odd shape of the rooms. ;)

And I'm glad that Westins are going all non-smoking! ^ (Once I was put in a smoking room at the Westin Seattle even though I had booked non-smoking, and had to wait hours before they had a different room for me.)

gleff Jan 25, 2006 6:25 am

The Westin and Sheraton can both get terribly busy. IMHO the Sheraton handles it better. Valet at the Westin is a zoo. Getting help with your bags at checkin can be very difficult (last time there I was told it wasn't worth waiting for, I'd be better off just taking my bags up myself).

Many of the rooms at the Westin are worn, scuffed wallpaper/doors/stained carpet. Some of the beds are great, others probably need replacement.

Views are great at the Westin. But you may have to ask.

gleff Jan 25, 2006 6:27 am

Btw, if you don't need to be downtown then serious value for money can often be had at the Sheraton in Bellevue... free parking, free high-speed internet, a club lounge (when closed they give you coupons for appetizers and breakfast) and can sometimes find $99 rooms.

Still like the W best tho!

KathyWdrf Jan 25, 2006 6:31 am

Big wall of windows... big wall of windows... big wall of windows... :p

took Jan 25, 2006 6:37 am

As a Gold, my spouse was told "Golds don't get upgraded" at Sheraton Seattle. I've reported this to customer service and received a nice reply and an assuarance that I was misinformed by the terrible desk clerk. However, I must say that other Sheraton personnel were great.

Later that week, spouse was upgraded at Westin. Love their workout facility, too. Nice rates, as well.

We'll choose Westin or W in Seattle next time.

pinniped Jan 25, 2006 6:43 am

Cool...thanks for the feedback. Looks like I might try 'em all.

My first stay in February is at the W, but in mid/late Feb I will try and hit the Westin and the Sheraton. I'm in the process of looking for my new hotel "home" in Seattle, and the SPG West Coast bonus makes it a bit more rewarding to try these Starwoods out. I will have 6-8 stays in Seattle between now and April 30th, so I should be able to finish out at least 2 full 6,000 point bonuses. (People rave about the Kimptons but the darn things are sold out every time I look, and I do a lot of last-minute trips.)

pinniped Jan 25, 2006 9:21 am

Sorry about the continued questions... :)

(1) Does the W also allow a $10 "buy-up" to the lounge?
(2) Does anyone know the date on which the Sheraton Lounge is scheduled to reopen? Dankyone, did they mention it to you when you asked?

gleff Jan 25, 2006 9:33 am

(People rave about the Kimptons but the darn things are sold out every time I look, and I do a lot of last-minute trips.)

Whatever you do don't [i]eat[i] at the Alexis, truly something awful. On the other hand the food (though not necessarily the service, though I have only a single data point for dinner) at the W's Earth & Ocean is excellent.

No lounge.

Btw, the W has only 8 suites IIRC (4 non-smoking, 3 smoking, 1 accessible I think) so your status -- whether Gold or Platinum -- will be useful to get a Kool Korner room on a high floor.

pinniped Jan 25, 2006 9:56 am

Originally Posted by gleff
Whatever you do don't [i]eat[i] at the Alexis, truly something awful. On the other hand the food (though not necessarily the service, though I have only a single data point for dinner) at the W's Earth & Ocean is excellent.

I have had a breakfast and a dinner at E&O. Agreed - it kicks butt.

No lounge.
Odd that Starwood has three hotels downtown and only one of them - the lowest-scale one in their brand hierarchy - has a lounge. Perhaps it's because they want W guests to hang in the lobby lounge, thus giving it that cool nightclubby feel. ;)

Btw, the W has only 8 suites IIRC (4 non-smoking, 3 smoking, 1 accessible I think) so your status -- whether Gold or Platinum -- will be useful to get a Kool Korner room on a high floor.
Great - will keep that in mind.

KathyWdrf Jan 25, 2006 3:36 pm

Excellent fine-dining restaurant at the Westin as well. (OK, I'm also using only one data point from several months ago... ;) )

ldsant Jan 25, 2006 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Excellent fine-dining restaurant at the Westin as well. (OK, I'm also using only one data point from several months ago... ;) )

The Westin changed restaurants a few months ago to Coldwater Grill. IMO it's fair at best. Pricey and poor service seems to be the theme. With Assagio's so close by as well as several other excellent restaurants, it's not one that I would go out of my way for.

dankyone Jan 25, 2006 6:54 pm

Sorry about the continued questions... :)

(2) Does anyone know the date on which the Sheraton Lounge is scheduled to reopen? Dankyone, did they mention it to you when you asked?

I asked this morning and the front desk said "they wish they knew" but it was based on occupancy. Interesting that the hotel is too full for upgrades but not full enough for the lounge to be open!

To clarify, the lounge is not under construction, you can enter it but there are no food and beverage services currently.