Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I completed a 4 night stay here a few days ago, probably my 4th or 5th time at this hotel. The only other hotel I've stayed at in Sydney was the Marriott Circular Quay a couple of years ago after becoming a newly minted MAR Plat member. I was given a horribly tiny room with a view of Sydney bridge (if I leaned against the window and looked off to the right). So I decided to stick with the Sheraton.

I used SNAs to confirm a suite upgrade with a view of Hyde Park. Upgrade cleared at 5 days out. I love that this property is easily accessible using the airport train (St James station is across the street). Given that it's a 20 min ride, it's much faster than a taxi/Uber. At check-in, I was offered 1000 welcome amenity points or buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Since there were 2 of us there for 4 nights, that was a no brainer. Breakfast was fabulous with a noodle station, and of course, made to order eggs.

I was disappointed/surprised that we didn't get an in room welcome amenity, but we discovered late on the second day that my roommate had accidentally turned on the "Do not disturb" sign when housekeeping slipped a note under our door. Since it was Easter Sunday, I dropped a quick note via Chat apologizing for this error and saying that housekeeping and the Easter Bunny were welcome to stop by anytime. The reply back was "the Easter Bunny is on its way". When we returned from our outing, there were 2 bottles of red wine in the room, one on the desk and one on the sideboard, which leads me to believe that there might have been duplicate bunnies at work.

The evening service in the lounge is from 17:00-19:30 and includes free wine, beer and spirits (even though you're not allowed to serve yourself). As many have mentioned, the lounge offerings at this hotel are excellent, even if you don't eat seafood. There were 3 hot dishes every night plus a variety of veggies, dips, salads, cheese, sushi and a scrumptious array of desserts. The only issue was serious overcrowding, particularly on Easter weekend. Not sure if this is due to too many Elites or selling lounge access, but the hotel needs to somehow reduce the number of people with access to the lounge.

Two days before check-out, I went to the Front Desk to give them my gift cards that I wanted to use to pay for the room. They didn't know how to apply them so took photocopies and said they would get back to me. At the end of my 3rd day, I got a note under my door that said "I believe these are the first Marriott cards to be used at this property and we are working with our Finance team on how these are redeemed". They still hadn't figured it out by the time I left, so I paid with my credit card along with the 1.5% surcharge. Not impressed!

Overall this is a solid property with great staff and I will continue to stay here when I go to Sydney (which will happen again next month).
I've probably said this too many times to my colleagues but this Sheraton is one of my top ten hotels in the world with their offerings and world class service.

I'm glad the Easter Bunny didn't skip y'all!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:45 pm

A question for those who have stayed here with 2 adults and a child. It doesn't look like any of the rooms they have, suites included, can accommodate 3 people as is, unless you count the couch for the 3rd person. The rooms have either 1 king or 2 single beds. They offer a roll-away for 110AUD per night, and don't seem to want to budge on that price. On a 7-night stay, that would add up very quickly. Is there a solution that I'm missing?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:19 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UserMark
A question for those who have stayed here with 2 adults and a child. It doesn't look like any of the rooms they have, suites included, can accommodate 3 people as is, unless you count the couch for the 3rd person. The rooms have either 1 king or 2 single beds. They offer a roll-away for 110AUD per night, and don't seem to want to budge on that price. On a 7-night stay, that would add up very quickly. Is there a solution that I'm missing?
The Exec suites have a L shaped couch in the corner that two adults could sleep on. I would do that instead of a rollaway.

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 28, 2019 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UserMark
I would call the hotel and clarify on the bedding arrangement: I think the rooms are either 1 king or 2 queens/doubles, as opposed to 2 singles. Per Sheraton policy (or ex-SPG, perhaps also Bonvoy?), kids stay free in existing bedding. I have generally found Australians to be sticklers to rules and regulations (not a criticism) so I doubt they'd waive the extra charge.

If you're talking about a bigger child and sharing a bed isn't an option, perhaps an idea is to visit the cluster of camping stores 4 blocks from the Sheraton, on Kent St and get a camping style cot and a sleeping bag? Might be fun for your kid...
Old May 2, 2019, 4:17 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Sheraton Grand is a Luxury Collection. So wonder if that means that Plats will lose lounge access. Lurkers?
Sheraton Grand isn't a Luxury Collection. The one in Bangkok is. This one isn't.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by helvetic
Sheraton Grand isn't a Luxury Collection. The one in Bangkok is. This one isn't.
Confusingly, the “Grande” in SGS is just a coincidence - it’s not meant to have any relation to the Sheraton “Grand” label. Of course, add to the confusion that it’s not a Sheraton either - just the ones in Addis or Kuwait.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by helvetic
That was discussed in Oct. I amended my post in case anyone else goes digging for old posts.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
It appears this property may suffer from the extra person charge for a child 'issue'
Room occupancy is 3 yet a booking of 1 Adult and 2 Children results in a $110/night extra person fee.
I know that they charge that same amount for a roll away bed, so they could be assuming you will need the extra bed?

I currently have two rooms booked with 2A in each room, but technically I have 5 all together and second room needs to be 1A and 2C
I prefer to be up front and not have any surprises.
I will be emailing them but anyone know official hotel policy there or been accommodated in a similar situation?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just completed another excellent 5 night stay at this hotel. This time I was upgraded to a Corner Terrace Suite which was amazing given the length of my stay plus the fact that Vivid Sydney is underway. The room had 2 small balconies (one off the living room and one off the bedroom) that face Hyde Park. Welcome gift consisted of a bowl of fruit, an array of beautifully decorated chocolates and a bottle of Australian Shiraz. I got a second bottle midway through the stay, probably because I'd split my stay into two separate reservations.

I don't know if the bathroom amenities have been changed at the hotel, or if it's because of the type of suite, but we had Hermes branded amenities which I don't recall ever seeing here.

I forgot to mention in my review from last month, but once again, I traded away my 1000 pt welcome amenity for buffet breakfast for 2 people in the main restaurant. Definitely worth it.

The hotel hasn't figured out how to apply my Marriott gift certificates, but they are still working on it even though I checked out about 5 days ago.

Great stay. This is my go to hotel for Sydney!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: A Few
Just completed another excellent 5 night stay at this hotel. This time I was upgraded to a Corner Terrace Suite which was amazing given the length of my stay plus the fact that Vivid Sydney is underway. The room had 2 small balconies (one off the living room and one off the bedroom) that face Hyde Park. Welcome gift consisted of a bowl of fruit, an array of beautifully decorated chocolates and a bottle of Australian Shiraz. I got a second bottle midway through the stay, probably because I'd split my stay into two separate reservations.

I don't know if the bathroom amenities have been changed at the hotel, or if it's because of the type of suite, but we had Hermes branded amenities which I don't recall ever seeing here.

I forgot to mention in my review from last month, but once again, I traded away my 1000 pt welcome amenity for buffet breakfast for 2 people in the main restaurant. Definitely worth it.

The hotel hasn't figured out how to apply my Marriott gift certificates, but they are still working on it even though I checked out about 5 days ago.

I’m jealous. I’m an Ambassador member and stay at SOTP between 50-100 nights per year, and never get upgraded beyond a park view (unless using an SNA). Every so often I’ll receive a bottle of wine in the room, but no card and completely random / no consistency.
What’s your trick? 🙃

Oh, and evening club lounge hours are now 5-7pm instead of 730pm ... 😔
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ftaus

I’m jealous. I’m an Ambassador member and stay at SOTP between 50-100 nights per year, and never get upgraded beyond a park view (unless using an SNA). Every so often I’ll receive a bottle of wine in the room, but no card and completely random / no consistency.
What’s your trick? 🙃

Oh, and evening club lounge hours are now 5-7pm instead of 730pm ... 😔
might be time for you to move to a different property with an upgrade track record like that - sounds like they are taking your loyalty for granted. You stay so much they know you'll be back
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
...Incoming - I will report back.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would it be easier to use Physical Marriott GCs? As those can just be swiped as a regular Visa from my understanding.

I had a very high value physical gift card bought several years ago, that would not swipe despite each time the front desk would try to swipe it, but the full number of the card, including the check digit, can be entered in the payment system on the GESX screen that is standard on all Marriott brands. I finally used up the last $150 at Fairfield JFK in April - the FD knew exactly how to proceed when I told her it would not swipe and require manual entry.

So right now your gift card has not been charged, nor your CC used for guarantee also not been charged, yet?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Would it be easier to use Physical Marriott GCs? As those can just be swiped as a regular Visa from my understanding.

I had a very high value physical gift card bought several years ago, that would not swipe despite each time the front desk would try to swipe it, but the full number of the card, including the check digit, can be entered in the payment system on the GESX screen that is standard on all Marriott brands. I finally used up the last $150 at Fairfield JFK in April - the FD knew exactly how to proceed when I told her it would not swipe and require manual entry.

So right now your gift card has not been charged, nor your CC used for guarantee also not been charged, yet?
I had 2 physical gift cards which they swiped away, but didn't work (yet one of those cards worked just fine at the Melbourne Marriott). They took photocopies of the front and back of them. I also have some additional electronic gift cards which I have not presented to them yet, pending how they sort this out. Nothing has been charged to my cc and my folio has not been closed out, ie, nothing posted to my account yet.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by SHLTP
might be time for you to move to a different property with an upgrade track record like that - sounds like they are taking your loyalty for granted. You stay so much they know you'll be back
Or his stays are those long stays that make upgrade difficult.

But I agree ... moving some stays may yield better results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.