Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
I have just got home after 2 nights at the SOTP and quite frankly think I must have been staying at a different hotel than a few of the posters.Even though it is rare that I get an upgrade.I like the renovated rooms.The lounge evening spread is one of the best in Australia.prawns and oysters with plates replenished regularly.The prawns are large and succulent-much better than prawns I have had in other hotel lounges.Oysters are small but freshly shucked and tasty.
Then the comment about nothing else being available.wow.last night there were small pies,char sui bau and samosas for hot dishes.Smoked salmon and mackerel,beautiful taramasalata and Baba Ganoush,vegies with dips,crisps,two different sandwiches as well as a choice of 4 sweets plus fruit salad.
Service-never had a problem.our glass was refilled before we asked.
Though there was one Australian idiosyncracy spotted easily.We don't like people who put on airs and graces.Saw a couple of very entitled platinum premier elites,because they basically told everyone, not getting the service we got because of their demanding attitudes.

As to becoming a Sheraton grande why would plats lose lounge access?The stay before was at the SGS Bangkok.Sure no lounge but one of the better Sheratons for plat recognition.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Sheraton Grand is a Luxury Collection. So wonder if that means that Plats will lose lounge access. Lurkers?
I stayed at the Sheraton on September 22. I used a Suite Night Award for an upgrade. I had Lounge Access and ate breakfast at Feast in lieu of the welcome points which they charge AUD $44.00 for or a AUD $15.00 supplement for guests with lounge access. I enjoy the lounge here. The prawns, oysters on the half shell and smoked mackeral work well for me. When the meatballs ran out, they were replaced with delicious buffalo wings (not wingettes) Cocktail service was excellent & prompt. The outdoor patios are nice too.

On August 31st I stayed at the Marriott at Circular Quay. I did get upgraded to a junior suite and was accommodated for a 7:30 am check-in which I really appreciated. I had lounge access for breakfast two mornings on a one-night stay. The lounge is nice too however the variety was much less than SOTP and a little repetitive with only a couple of items changed from day to day. Beer & Wine was available for self-serve. I didn't realise cocktails were also available but you had to ask for them and they would go outback and make them for you.

Both good properties. I have a slight preference for the Sheraton over the Marriott and also the Westin that I stayed at in January.

James
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by drron

As to becoming a Sheraton grande why would plats lose lounge access?The stay before was at the SGS Bangkok.Sure no lounge but one of the better Sheratons for plat recognition.
Read the fine print at the bottom!

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...cess_Final.pdf
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold

Read the fine print at the bottom!

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...cess_Final.pdf
I didn't know this and this was new to me! What a huge bummer as these three hotels are my to go to hotels. A stay and not to be given lounge access is messed up. What's wrong with you Marriott?

Lounge Access is not offered at the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton®, St. Regis®, EDITION®, The Luxury Collection®, W® Hotels, Design Hotels®, Tribute PortfolioTM, Gaylord Hotels®, Four Points®, SpringHill Suites®, Protea Hotels®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Aloft®, Moxy® Hotels, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®, Element®, Marriott Vacation Club® and participating VistanaTM properties.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotels may offer it anyhow, but they don’t have to.

So let’s see what Lurkers say about SOTP.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:12 am

I'm staying here in 2 weeks, as a PP this would be terrible if I dont get lounge access ...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyboi
I'm staying here in 2 weeks, as a PP this would be terrible if I dont get lounge access ...
Please let us know. I'm booked for April, and will definitely cancel if there is no lounge access. I have an amazing biz class fare on UA. Still going, but will stay elsewhere!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Sheraton Grand is a Luxury Collection. So wonder if that means that Plats will lose lounge access. Lurkers?
Out of curiosity, how do we (you) know that the Sheraton Grand is a Luxury Collection hotel now? There is no "Luxury Collection" branding on the hotel homepage, the search page for Marriott properties in Sydney. Was this publicized somewhere else official?

Also: the Luxury Collection search page indicates only one Luxury Collection hotel in Australia (opening in Tasmania, June 2019)

Last edited by YYZtoDCA; Oct 7, 2018 at 12:35 pm Reason: Further data point
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Out of curiosity, how do we (you) know that the Sheraton Grand is a Luxury Collection hotel now? There is no "Luxury Collection" branding on the hotel homepage, the search page for Marriott properties in Sydney. Was this publicized somewhere else official?

Also: the Luxury Collection search page indicates only one Luxury Collection hotel in Australia (opening in Tasmania, June 2019)
You may be right. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is definitely a Luxury Collection, but perhaps that doesn’t apply to the other Grand hotels.

I found this old thread.
Sheraton Grand Hotels - new designation

Also
https://sheraton.marriott.com/destin...heraton-grand/

But there is no mention of re-branding.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed there for 4 days earlier this year and everything was quite nice, including the lounge and the renovated rooms. The rates were a little higher than I liked (it was March). As SPG Plat 50, i got a large corner room and was told that the corner rooms are the same size as the Suite.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
SGS is sherston grand sukhumvit (the street name is grand sukhumvit like the westin grand sukhimvit across the street) so it is not a Sheraton Grand but a LC which still has Sheraton in name because it is famous.

I am not sure of Sydney one would exclude plats from lounge after upgrade. I hope not as many do like the lounge even if i prefer pre-renovation decor.

Others LCs and Sheraton resorts are definitely cutting lounge access that or making access the plat amenity and removing breakfast. LC Keraton and Sheraton Hua Hin are two properties that are rolling back plat benefits. Probably should start a thread in which properties are doing this.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joakgarp
I didn't know this and this was new to me! What a huge bummer as these three hotels are my to go to hotels. A stay and not to be given lounge access is messed up. What's wrong with you Marriott?

Lounge Access is not offered at the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton®, St. Regis®, EDITION®, The Luxury Collection®, W® Hotels, Design Hotels®, Tribute PortfolioTM, Gaylord Hotels®, Four Points®, SpringHill Suites®, Protea Hotels®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Aloft®, Moxy® Hotels, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®, Element®, Marriott Vacation Club® and participating VistanaTM properties.
Would be surprised if SOTP pulled lounge access unless they plan on closing the lounge.

Apart from RC (which is a separate issue with their "nicer" lounges that have always been excluded), none of the other brands listed here typically have lounges to begin with so that clause in the T&C is irrelevant.

Will be staying there in a couple weeks as a PP so will be able to confirm one way or another.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
It is not irrelevant - many LCs have lounges (Tokyo and Bangkok come to mind) and Keraton is now no longer allowing plats access and breakfast post Aug 18. Plats have to choose. Resorts are doing the same.

LCs are my preferred brand as the lounges that exist are often lovely and properties overall luxurious...

I originally viewed the changed TCs as nothing important too... Giving cover to properties like PDG or VB that do not have a lounge as brand standard... But some props are using thr TCs as an excuse to cut back benefits.

Sydney won't closr lounge. They just renovated it. I am not sure Sheraton Grand's policy on lounges however... I expect them to contibue offering lounge to pltas but post 8/18 who knows

​​
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Would be surprised if SOTP pulled lounge access unless they plan on closing the lounge.

Apart from RC (which is a separate issue with their "nicer" lounges that have always been excluded), none of the other brands listed here typically have lounges to begin with so that clause in the T&C is irrelevant.

Will be staying there in a couple weeks as a PP so will be able to confirm one way or another.
Here right now on a paid stay -- got lounge access and bottle of wine in the room (plus welcome points).

FWIW, I have yet to go into a former SPG property and have them acknowledge PP vs. just Platinum. To be honest I don't think any Marriott property has done that either. They all just refer to me as Platinum and the room card holders all still just say Platinum Elite vs. PP Elite.

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just looked at the entire list of Luxury Collection properties worldwide & there's only one Sheraton Grand on the list, & that's in Bangkok, so disagree that all Sheraton Grands are part of LC. This particular property is not on the LC list, nor does its website or the recent Marriott press release reflect any LC connection. So let's put the lounge access concern at this property to rest.

Marriott press release today:

Sheraton Hotels & Resorts Celebrates Community Spirit with the Multimillion Dollar Refurbishment of Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park | Marriott News Center

"Sheraton Hotels and Resorts, part of Marriott International today will kick off a week of celebrations at the Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park as it marks the completion of its $50 million-dollar transformation by owners Sunshine Insurance. With the refurbishment, the iconic Sydney hotel, previously known as Sheraton on the Park, will also receive the brand’s esteemed ‘Grand’ designation."

Hotel website: Cat 5. Exec lounge open daily.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ney-hyde-park/

"Opposite Hyde Park, a tree-lined oasis in the heart of Sydney, our five-star hotel is a great destination to connect while savoring our views of Hyde Park, St. Mary's Cathedral and middle harbour. Numerous businesses and attractions are nearby. Our award-winning meeting facilities include 18 flexible function rooms, ideal for your every need. Re-energize in our rooftop health club, indoor heated pool and spa with sweeping city views. Access the Sheraton Club Lounge, Sydney's premier Club Lounge. Our 558 guest rooms, including 48 suites, combine the classic with the contemporary for a stylish, comfortable feel. Enjoy unmatched vistas of the city or majestic Hyde Park, the plush Sheraton Signature Sleep Experience and state-of-the-art amenities."

Cheers.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.