Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I want to take the train from the airport to the hotel. What is the closest station?
One of the truly great things about SOTP is the ability to take the train LITERALLY to the front door of the hotel. Miss the SYD traffic, miss the expensive cab rides, and get there simply, quickly, and with minimal hassles.

BTW: When are you going???
Dave
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
SOTP turned out to be my favourite out of IC Sydney, Westin Sydney and SOTP.

One of the nice things here was that the concierges always addressed me by my name - and I was then a mere Starwood Preferred - no status, and I hadn't stayed here before, so it was not as if I were a regular. I thought this was an unexpected nice touch (I don't class Sheraton as a 'luxury' hotel so I do not expect being addressed by the name). Everything was pretty spot on - they showed me to the room, and realising that it was my first time there, showed me how everything worked, showed me the exec lounge etc.

The room (exec room) and the club lounge were pretty nice. Club lounge was sometimes a bit crowded, but I could still find a table.

I preferred the décor of my room at SOTP to the one at Westin and IC. Although nice looking, Westin is a little too bland for me, and IC was a bit 'dark toned' for my liking. SOTP room was nice size although not huge (I didn't need a huge room as I was there by myself) - the size felt just about right to me, and it was not too 'cold and sterile' looking. I liked the window shutter arrangements too.

The view from the IC was much better, but SOTP's location suited me much better - just round the corner from shopping, station etc.

SOTP is now my favourite Sydney hotel
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Just recently completed another great stay (Mattress Run) at the SOTP .

I love just about everything about this hotel. It is pretty close to being one of my favourite SPG properties, after St Regis SIN and LM SFO .

I loved the lounge, the breakfast spread was good (I still preferred the Brassiere buffet due to more variety) but when not paying for breakfast, the lounge is the way to go. Great Chandon champagne - YES ^ and nice evening snacks. It was quite crowded in the evenings but always managed to secure a nice table. Excellent, attentive and friendly lounge staff ^.

I lost something small in my room and realised during the day. I phoned the hotel and they promptly went searching and found this small (valuable) item for me and it was waiting at the Concierge desk on my arrival back at the hotel. WOW ^. I have lost a larger and less valuable item at Four Points SYD and it was GONE, never to be seen again .

I will definitely be back for more MR's in the near future .
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I love just about everything about this hotel. It is pretty close to being one of my favourite SPG properties, after St Regis SIN and LM SFO
Agreed! The SOTP did a fantastic job for me on my most recent stay, with suite upgrade, quality service at both the front desk and in the lounge, and simply fantastic location.
I loved the lounge, the breakfast spread was good
We agree, Downunder girl, as I had quite nice breakfasts up there as well. The staff is always willing to help , even for my request of vegemite, which had NOT been set out that morning.
BTW: I still dont really like it.
Excellent, attentive and friendly lounge staff
No question, whatsoever!! They really seem to enjoy providing top flight servcie, IMO. ^
I lost something small in my room and realised during the day. I phoned the hotel and they promptly went searching and found this small (valuable) item for me and it was waiting at the Concierge desk on my arrival back at the hotel.
Good on them! I'm glad you had a good experience!!
I will definitely be back for more MR's in the near future .
Do you have a date/timeframe in mind??

Best, Dave
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I love just about everything about this hotel. It is pretty close to being one of my favourite SPG properties, after St Regis SIN and LM SFO .
Funny, the SOTP is probably my least favourite from the 3 Starwoods in Sydney...

The bathroom is nice and big (compared to the Westin and the 4Pts), and the lounge, as you said, is brillant, not to mention the view... Apart from that...

I always find the front desk too busy, no matter what time I check in. Staff there is cold, although the last time I'd a guy called 'Training', he was good.

I get good upgrades at the 4Pts (as a lowly gold), even had upgrades to suites there. The Westin rooms are just nicer than SOTP, even if the prices are similar. The 4Pts rooms are average, but they charge much lower prices there.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As a Platinum, this Starwood hotel has been the worst in Sydney for me when it comes to upgrades -- they've never upgraded me to a suite there on any of my stays. Other than that, it's decent.
Old May 26, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Did a Stay 2 get 1 free promo mattress run in SYD this past weekend. Wanted to stay at all 3 SPG hotels in SYD (4pts, Sheraton, and Westin), but the weather forecast of showers on 5/23 altered my plan. So, I went with Sheraton on 5/23, then Westin on 5/24, and back to Sheraton on 5/25. Got to Sheraton around 7:30AM, was offered a suite, but had to wait. Since the park view room on 19th Floor was available right then, decided that a hot shower took precident over a suite stay (and since I was coming back, I did not care as much).

The lounge on 21st floor was wonderful. The nicest lounge I have been to in terms of atmosphere and furnishing. The food was good, but not plentiful (they tend to run out of stuff).

The staff were very friendly and efficient in the lounge. Oh, free wireless internet in the lounge, and two desktop computers with printers available.

Came back on 5/25 and took a executive suite on a lower floor rather than a park view room on higher floor. The executive suite is nice (separate bedroom and living room). The bathroom is the same as park view room (which is nice, separate bath tub and shower).

I like the location of the Sheraton, next to St. James CityRail station. So, it was very easy to get from/to airport.
Old May 26, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As a Platinum, this Starwood hotel has been the worst in Sydney for me when it comes to upgrades -- they've never upgraded me to a suite there on any of my stays. Other than that, it's decent.
I had a one night stay last week,my room type upgraded to executive suite before check in.Its my first time stay in Sheraton On The Park, Sydney.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:18 pm

Have just booked 7 stays in June and July at $AU165/night - this is the lowest I have seen at this property for a while. The rate doesn't seem to be available Friday and Saturday.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by Leumas
St James is your closest stop. If you come out at the correct exit, you should be able to see the hotel. I think you need the Market St exit. You should come out a the junction of Elizabeth St (the road parallel to Hyde Park) and Market St. If you look left, the hotel is across the road on Elizabeth St.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...11099899091652

This is the position right outside the station exit. The hotel is behind the trees across the road.
I will be staying with the family at the SOTP next week. I looked at the Sydney rail/ferry map and it appears that we just need to take the Green Airport/East Hill line six stops to the St. James stop. Is this the correct rail line & stop from the airport?

Do you know how much a return ticket should cost?

Thanks,

Onedog

Last edited by onedog; Jun 16, 2009 at 11:33 am
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by onedog
I will be staying with the family at the SOTP next week. I looked at the Sydney rail/ferry map and it appears that we just need to take the Green Airport/East Hill line six stops to the St. James stop. Is this the correct rail line & stop from the airport?

Do you know how much a return ticket should cost?

Thanks,

Onedog

Yep 6 stops for you

they dont sell any return tkts except for same day and they wont sell you a tkt for any day other then the day it is. I believe its still 15AUD per person with a 24AUD min in order to use a CC (which shouldnt be a prob if you are traveling with your family)
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
I believe its still 15AUD per person with a 24AUD min in order to use a CC (which shouldnt be a prob if you are traveling with your family)
Yes, it is 15 AUD (or thereabouts) but I believe that the minimum on the CC must have been suspended as I used my MP VISA to purchase my ticket from SYD to St James as recently as 8 June.

Dave
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
How far is it from the airport to the St. James stop? I'd like to have a general idea so that I know when I need to be paying attention so I don't miss the stop. How long should the ride take?

Do you know if there is a minimum age that requires a ticket to ride the train? In London last year, if my observant wife hadn't noticed that kids under a certain age ride free on the Underground, I would have unnecessarily bought a ticket for my youngest. --------> Found the answer

Thanks,

Onedog

Last edited by onedog; Jun 16, 2009 at 4:53 pm
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by onedog
How far is it from the airport to the St. James stop? I'd like to have a general idea so that I know when I need to be paying attention so I don't miss the stop. How long should the ride take?
The trip time from the International Aiport Station to St James is 17 minutes according to the train timetables - but knowing trains in Sydney expect them to be crowded and delayed
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
SOTP (or other Sydney properties) With A Family ?

Hello,

What would be the best Sydney property for a family (2A/2C) as a Plat ? I'm looking to use points but the SOTP (and the other Sydney properties) only want to assign a King room or a room with two singles. Are rollaways available at all of the properties ? If not, what would other FTers recommend ?

Cheers,

Singlepoint

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.